O-Train Line 1 | The Confederation Line

On 2017-03-20 at 7:25 PM, Centralsmt said:

Crossrail is taking 9 years to build, much of it on existing track.

What? Most of it is brand new tunnel. And a lot of that 9 years was the Transport and Works act application which is overly long even by European standards. Actual building did not start 9 years ago.

Edit: comparing the Confederation Line to Crossrail? Really? Not at all the same type of projects at all. 

My various comments are all about the fact that the Confederation Line which is really a simple project should not take as much time as complex projects. Crossrail will only reuse existing surface lines at its extremities and even the. Not really in the west. The majority is brand new tunnels and stations. 

Here in Ottawa a small tunnel and existing stations and road which needs a refit. 

15 hours ago, smallspy said:

Uhhh.....what?

I don't think that you understand how the construction industry works. Lots of companies are making more money that ever before, and seldom with any management fees.

Dan

Management fees are well documented I recommend OECD publications. 

But honestly your comment doesn't address at all the point that I am making which is that longer contracts provide more earning opportunities. 

That too is well document. 

And unfortunately I know way more than I ever cared for about constructions contracts bid and procurement. Would be happy to focus on my actual work but it now includes that world as well. 

I am trying hard to dispel a lot of myths around here for I have the hope that together we can demand better transit and infrastructure. 

Edited by chimo
Missing comment on Crossrail

21 minutes ago, chimo said:

Management fees are well documented I recommend OECD publications. 

But honestly your comment doesn't address at all the point that I am making which is that longer contracts provide more earning opportunities. 

That too is well document. 

And unfortunately I know way more than I ever cared for about constructions contracts bid and procurement. Would be happy to focus on my actual work but it now includes that world as well. 

I am trying hard to dispel a lot of myths around here for I have the hope that together we can demand better transit and infrastructure. 

Then please, share some of these documents, especially in how they pertain to North American regulations and operating scenarios.

Dan

I don't understand something. So what if another city had a project completed in a certain amount of time? I'm sure everything was considered when determining the construction timeline and deadlines, from material acquisition and delivery to soil conditions for tunneling and so forth. This isn't a race...

6 hours ago, smallspy said:

Then please, share some of these documents, especially in how they pertain to North American regulations and operating scenarios.

Dan

What did I write that is so controversial? Management fees are now prohibited on public contracts, so you do a run around and make it longer. 

I have shared before documents regarding the Orion debacle and got attacked. At some point I thought that this is a transit forum and expect participants to know a few things. So not too sure I care to repeat the experience. 

So what do you want ? University research? WTO rules? What is it that you disagree with? But you don't have to trust me, you can peruse the OECD website and the WTO. It's enlightening.

When I have time I'll dig. But perhaps we should not forget that it's not just about business. It's tied to the electoral cycle and that's not good for us citizens. 

And again why should this very simple project take 4 years for stage 1 and 5 for stage 2 ? 

Debating rules and regulations about how business adapted to a changing environment doesn't change the fact that there's no justification for the length. 

I don't begrudge companies making money if that's what you are driving at. 

But let's not forget we are talking about some of the most experienced companies in the world which have worked on projects of greater complexity. 

Yet here in Ottawa nope no can do 4 years is best we can. 

The fact they are making more money than before without mgmt fees makes my point so am truly puzzled at what is it that you are objecting. 

Do you believe it should take 4 years for stage 1? 

Crossrail was mentioned by Centralsmt and after I commented I went to their website; over 100 km 40 stations including 10 new ones. The names of the new ones are smack in central London. 

I objected to the claim the starting work 9 years ago included shovels in th ground but if that's the case that's an average of 11 km per year. In an demanding environment with archeological digs. 

Can you see why I am not happy with the lack of progress here and why am questioning the choices our politicians made? 

4 minutes ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

I don't understand something. So what if another city had a project completed in a certain amount of time? I'm sure everything was considered when determining the construction timeline and deadlines, from material acquisition and delivery to soil conditions for tunneling and so forth. This isn't a race...

There's been too many cases where governments didn't consider all facts. They are human after all and there are other considerations. So I believe it's legitimate to ask questions. 

You are right it's not a race. However when simple projects take too much time it gives credence to populist politicians who will say that transit is too costly and complex to do and we should just run some buses. 

That's how we got O'Brien. 

Transit share is low in this city and there are many who have a car.

if you are a couple in Kanata or Orléans, you probably have a car and for less than 2 bus pass (though not much less) you can have a parking downtown.

That's why I am hammering about this project. I don't understand why it was so wrong for me to say we need to get rid of the Orions and wrong for me to question this project. 

I want better transit and we won't get it with that time scale. It opens the door for the next mayor to cancel stage 2. We desperately need stage 2 as stage 1 is not going to work long term and then we have another Transitway on our hands where in that case it took 25 years to get the passenger numbers back. 

But by all means let's not criticize the city's management of this important project.

It's ok to be happy we are getting it and at the same time keeping our politicians on their toes to ensure we get the best we can.

It's not contradictory. 

1 hour ago, chimo said:

What did I write that is so controversial? Management fees are now prohibited on public contracts, so you do a run around and make it longer. 

I have shared before documents regarding the Orion debacle and got attacked. At some point I thought that this is a transit forum and expect participants to know a few things. So not too sure I care to repeat the experience. 

So what do you want ? University research? WTO rules? What is it that you disagree with? But you don't have to trust me, you can peruse the OECD website and the WTO. It's enlightening.

When I have time I'll dig. But perhaps we should not forget that it's not just about business. It's tied to the electoral cycle and that's not good for us citizens. 

And again why should this very simple project take 4 years for stage 1 and 5 for stage 2 ? 

Debating rules and regulations about how business adapted to a changing environment doesn't change the fact that there's no justification for the length. 

I don't begrudge companies making money if that's what you are driving at. 

But let's not forget we are talking about some of the most experienced companies in the world which have worked on projects of greater complexity. 

Yet here in Ottawa nope no can do 4 years is best we can. 

The fact they are making more money than before without mgmt fees makes my point so am truly puzzled at what is it that you are objecting. 

Do you believe it should take 4 years for stage 1? 

Crossrail was mentioned by Centralsmt and after I commented I went to their website; over 100 km 40 stations including 10 new ones. The names of the new ones are smack in central London. 

I objected to the claim the starting work 9 years ago included shovels in th ground but if that's the case that's an average of 11 km per year. In an demanding environment with archeological digs. 

Can you see why I am not happy with the lack of progress here and why am questioning the choices our politicians made?

You have made claims a number of times to various things, and when requested to provide proof, you provide none.

What you claim does not back up the experience of many others in the construction industry. You have alluded to reports that back-up your claims - all I am asking is to see copies of those reports.

Until then, we have little reason to take what you write at face value.

Dan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Admitting, I have not visited the Stage 2 LRT web site (http://www.stage2lrt.ca) as regularly as I should be. It's been brought to my attention from another discussion board (SkyscraperPage Forum) that the City has posted display board/PowerPoint presentation slides from recent public open house sessions.

Below are links that obtained from the Stage 2 LRT, Resources section of the web page (http://www.stage2lrt.ca/resources/):

Presentations:

Scott Street Detour between Tunney’s Pasture and Dominion Station Information Session

Belfast Yard Expansion Information Session (Avenues O and P)

Woodpark Community Information Session

Bayshore to Moodie Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Conversion to Light Rail Transit (LRT) Environmental Assessment – Public Consultation

• Like 1

geoOttawa (maps.ottawa.ca/geoottawa) now shows the proposed track layout of the O-Train Confederation and Trillium Lines out to 2023 (except for the recently announced extension from Bayshore to Moodie).  It also shows crossovers, sidings and storage tracks, whether the stations will have island or side platforms, and the track layout at the Belfast Yard.  To view the plans, click on "More Layers" in the top right corner of the screen and check the "Rail Implementation Office" box.

To see the station layouts for the Trillium Line, click here.

The Confederation Line is double-tracked for its entire length.  Crossovers are located just west of Trim Road, just west of Place d'Orleans Station, just west of Jeanne d'Arc Boulevard, just east of Blair Road (with centre storage track), just west of Blair Station, between St. Laurent Station and Belfast Road (access to Belfast Yard), west of Belfast Road (access to Belfast Yard), west of Riverside Drive (with siding), just north of uOttawa Station, between Parliament and Lyon Stations, just east of Tunney's Pasture Station, just west of Westboro Station, just north of and south of Lincoln Fields Station (see note below), between Queensway and Iris Street, just north of Baseline Station (with multiple storage tracks), and under the Richmond Road overpass.

Station Layouts:

Trim: Island Platform
Place d'Orleans: Island Platform
Orleans Boulevard: Island Platform
Jeanne d'Arc: Island Platform
Montreal: Island Platform
Blair: Island Platform
Cyrville: Island Platform
St. Laurent: Side Platforms
Tremblay: Side Platforms
Hurdman: Side Platforms
Lees: Side Platforms
uOttawa: Side Platforms
Rideau: Side Platforms
Parliament: Side Platforms
Lyon: Side Platforms
Pimisi: Island Platform
Bayview: Side Platforms
Tunney's Pasture: Side Platforms
Westboro: Side Platforms
Dominion: Side Platforms
Cleary: Side Platforms
New Orchard: Island Platform
Lincoln Fields: Three tracks, two island platforms.  It looks as if the two tracks on the west will be for outbound trains, with the centre track being used for Bayshore trains and the outer track for Baseline, while the track on the east will be for inbound trains.

Baseline Branch:
Iris: Side Platforms
Baseline: Island Platform with small storage yard

Bayshore Branch:
Queensview: Island Platform
Pinecrest: Island Platform
Bayshore: Side Platforms
Moodie: Not depicted

• Like 1

Can't find it anywhere, but why is Trim Station not built into the park and ride?

8 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

geoOttawa (maps.ottawa.ca/geoottawa) now shows the proposed track layout of the O-Train Confederation and Trillium Lines out to 2023 (except for the recently announced extension from Bayshore to Moodie).  It also shows crossovers, sidings and storage tracks, whether the stations will have island or side platforms, and the track layout at the Belfast Yard.  To view the plans, click on "More Layers" in the top right corner of the screen and check the "Rail Implementation Office" box.

To see the station layouts for the Trillium Line, click here.

The Confederation Line is double-tracked for its entire length.  Crossovers are located just west of Trim Road, just west of Place d'Orleans Station, just west of Jeanne d'Arc Boulevard, just east of Blair Road (with centre storage track), just west of Blair Station, between St. Laurent Station and Belfast Road (access to Belfast Yard), west of Belfast Road (access to Belfast Yard), west of Riverside Drive (with siding), just north of uOttawa Station, between Parliament and Lyon Stations, just east of Tunney's Pasture Station, just west of Westboro Station, just north of and south of Lincoln Fields Station (see note below), between Queensway and Iris Street, just north of Baseline Station (with multiple storage tracks), and under the Richmond Road overpass.

Station Layouts:

Tunney's Pasture: Side Platforms

Interesting. Does that mean one platform at Tunney's Pasture would essentially be disused, especially off peak? It'll be a fun game of guess the platform/devinez quel quai!

10 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

If I'm seeing correctly there also seems to be a unloading ramp lead built into the north end of the Lrt yard 

IMG_3119.thumb.PNG.65aa82b8557fa694b7b5bd2b2b7c78a8.PNG

Not a loading ramp - that is the pre-built connection to the (not so) future expansion of the yard.

Dan

14 hours ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

Video posted on Mayor Watson's Facebook page, "Ready for Rail." There's a little door chime at the end of the video...perhaps that's what ours will be??

I like it.  It's sure nicer then that high pitched beeping the Trillium Line trains use. 

• octranspobusfreak changed the title to The Confederation Line [Under Construction]
On 4/6/2017 at 9:08 PM, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

Can't find it anywhere, but why is Trim Station not built into the park and ride?

Interesting. Does that mean one platform at Tunney's Pasture would essentially be disused, especially off peak? It'll be a fun game of guess the platform/devinez quel quai!

Most likely the train would drop off passengers into the westbound platform, go to the turnback siding, then crosses over to the eastbound platform to pick up passengers, much like here in Montreal (we call the turnback siding as arrière-gare).

16 hours ago, anyfong said:

Most likely the train would drop off passengers into the westbound platform, go to the turnback siding, then crosses over to the eastbound platform to pick up passengers, much like here in Montreal (we call the turnback siding as arrière-gare).

There are no tailtracks to speak of at Tunney's Pasture as the busway will continue to be in service upon the opening of the line.

Dan

On 4/6/2017 at 9:08 PM, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

Does that mean one platform at Tunney's Pasture would essentially be disused, especially off peak? It'll be a fun game of guess the platform/devinez quel quai!

There will probably be some kind of electronic signage that says what platform the next train will leave from. The original section of the Bloor line in Toronto was like this, Keele and Woodbine stations had Solari signs in the mezzanine that said what platform the next train would leave from.

On 4/7/2017 at 9:32 PM, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

Video posted on Mayor Watson's Facebook page, "Ready for Rail." There's a little door chime at the end of the video...perhaps that's what ours will be??

Here is a staff report to be discussed next Wednesday on the upcoming promotion/marketing initiatives: http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=6996&doctype=agenda&itemid=360984

Here is the tweet confirming that vehicle number 5 for the Confederation line is being docked and on the way back from testing. 

With marketing to go out on April 19th: 

Final comments:

It will be nice to see it become a reality and not just pictures of the site and work going on. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

What just 5? I would figure something like L1-L34? at least the L would stand for LRT?

I'm sure it's meant as the fifth completed vehicle. It's a non-issue, anyway.

3 hours ago, HB_1024 said:

Didn't the mockup have the number 2000 on it? Perhaps the vehicles will be numbered in the 2000s, and vehicle 5 will be 2005.

Yep, mock-up is 2000.