O-Train Line 1 | The Confederation Line

On 10/11/2022 at 7:31 PM, JCL said:

In the O-Train East Extension Project, contractors have started to lay tracks and rail ties just east of Blair Station heading east towards the flyover bridge.

The tracks are visible when you are onboard a bus going westbound to Blair Station when travelling on the RR174/Blair Road off-ramp (specifically on the overpass crossing over the LRT Guidway/former East Transitway)

Rail is now visible from the Overpass at Blair Stn. 
340A11D5-6938-42BE-B07F-342D4F073EAB.thumb.jpeg.47ff02a858cc48bbf1f0bba07b17cf6c.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Advertising is about to begin at O-Train stations and the trains themselves. 

Looking ahead to November

Customers will soon see advertising appear on O-Train Line 1 stations and trains. Advertisements on O-Train Line 1 will kick-off at Lyon Station, with additional stations and trains to follow. This means new revenue from these new spaces.

12 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Confederation Line Stage 2 western extension might be looking at a delay of 17 months. Tweet attached for reference. 

The major challenge is the tunnelling for certain sections such as between Dominion and Lincoln Fields. 

So the extension opens in 2027 now?

I don't se stage 3 happening for a long time, for several reasons.

Mainly debt. The city is carrying over a Billion dollar debt, and the province has multi-billions in debt you can forget them handing out billions worth of dollars in transit & other projects.

I have attached the link for the slide deck for those that want to read. I am not able to attach it to the post due to the size limitations which is 16.4 megabytes.

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/23255740/2022-11-01-ppt-lrt-stage-2-update-en.pdf

Right now, here are the current timelines for the extensions to open:

O-Train Confederation East extension to be completed by the end of 2024.

O-Train Confederation West extension to be completed by the end of 2026.

Timelines are tentative depending on progression. 

8 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

I have attached the link for the slide deck for those that want to read.

The mobility impacts section for the western extension mentions the detour between Iris and Baseline but nothing about impacts between Lincoln Fields and Iris. I'd assume there will have to be a long-term detour through that stretch at some point if they're using the same alignment for the Linc-Algonquin section of the tracks. Are they actually going to find a way to just keep buses on the Transitway through there until the LRT opens or is it just so far out right now that it's not worth mentioning?

36 minutes ago, wowzhao said:

The mobility impacts section for the western extension mentions the detour between Iris and Baseline but nothing about impacts between Lincoln Fields and Iris. I'd assume there will have to be a long-term detour through that stretch at some point if they're using the same alignment for the Linc-Algonquin section of the tracks. Are they actually going to find a way to just keep buses on the Transitway through there until the LRT opens or is it just so far out right now that it's not worth mentioning?

They will continue to use the existing Transitway between Lincoln Fields and Iris at all times until substantial completion of the project.

The roadway of the Transitway itself has already been realigned by shifting "slightly to the west" (lack of a better wording to describe the change), Queensway Station northbound/eastbound (the direction towards Lincoln Fields Station) was moved over in December 2021, and the final realignment in the Iris Station area this past Summer. 

• Thanks 1

On an unrelated topic, has anyone else noticed that the LRT seems to be running slower lately? It's been going extra slow through basically all curves (especially on the Rideau to St-Laurent stretch) but it feels like the drivers have deliberately slowed down across the entire line. Admittedly my sample size is two end to end trips in the last month, so I'm trying to understand if I was just so unlucky as to get the two slow trains or if they are actually reducing speeds on Line 1.

10 minutes ago, wowzhao said:

On an unrelated topic, has anyone else noticed that the LRT seems to be running slower lately? It's been going extra slow through basically all curves (especially on the Rideau to St-Laurent stretch) but it feels like the drivers have deliberately slowed down across the entire line. Admittedly my sample size is two end to end trips in the last month, so I'm trying to understand if I was just so unlucky as to get the two slow trains or if they are actually reducing speeds on Line 1.

Unfortunately, it's going to be like this until further notice. The speed restrictions began in late-July. 

RTG/RTM requested the City (OC Transpo) to reduce the speed as part of the ongoing investigation on the axle bearing issue. 

See screenshot of this tweet from RailFansCanada containing an e-mail from OC Transpo management to City Council/Transit Commission: 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

From Octranspo.com

O-Train Line 1 full closure for planned testing on Saturday, November 19. Service to resume November 20 at 8 am

Saturday, November 19: O-Train Line 1 will be fully closed. This is to allow Rideau Transit Group (RTG) to perform testing as they continue their investigation into the cause of the axle hub failure last summer.

Service will resume at 8 am on Sunday, November 20.

R1 replacement bus service will run frequently during the planned closure. 

1 hour ago, Oc4526 said:

From Octranspo.com

O-Train Line 1 full closure for planned testing on Saturday, November 19. Service to resume November 20 at 8 am

Saturday, November 19: O-Train Line 1 will be fully closed. This is to allow Rideau Transit Group (RTG) to perform testing as they continue their investigation into the cause of the axle hub failure last summer.

Rail Fans Canada has posted a screenshot of a memo sent by OC Transpo management to City Council and Transit Commission.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Tunney's Pasture is getting Wi-Fi installed. Apparently work started October 31st. Not sure if it'll be public, but I find it out of priorities. Need water? No water fountain, but there's Wi-Fi... 🤨

free wifi helps you forget you’re waiting 30 minutes in the cold for a 75

• Like 2

On 11/10/2022 at 6:38 PM, Oc4526 said:

From Octranspo.com

On 11/10/2022 at 8:30 PM, JCL said:

Rail Fans Canada has posted a screenshot of a memo sent by OC Transpo management to City Council and Transit Commission.

The schedules for R1 is now available via the Travel Planner (https://plan.octranspo.com/). 

Instructions: Select the November 19, 2022 as the date, then select either "R1 Blair" or "R1 Tunney's Pasture".

At a quick glance:
- R1s between Blair and Tunney's Pasture will bypass Cyrville Station, and will be operating at every 6 minutes at most (with every 8 minutes during the early morning hours and evening hours; and every 12 minutes from midnight to end of service)
- There will instead by a Cyrville Shuttle operating between St. Laurent and Cyrville operating every 15 minutes

This service setup is similar to last year's prolong derailment after they revised the R1 service. 

I still don't understand why they don't run Express services. Sure, not serving Cyrville saves 5 minutes but maybe my end destination is Blair from Tunney's? Perhaps a worker needs to go to Orleans? That's still at least 50 minutes - 2x more time than by train. They should have express trips that only serve Tunney's, Rideau, Hurdman and Blair that would give people some parity to the train when going from one side to the city to another.