Jump to content

O-Train Line 1 | The Confederation Line


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

Where are some good public locations to photograph test trains in action?

The pathway between Lees and the future uOttawa Station is good and close. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Orion V said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HtJzJQy7Q0

I was watching this video and around 8:00 he says when opened, Line 1 will be the busiest NA light rail system.

How do they know this? Do they really predict it will be busier than the C Train?

I believe the correct fact is that it will be the single busiest LRT line in North America on day 1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, STO_1601 said:

And supposedly it's gonna shrink our bus fleet. 

Why would it? I can only see OC planning to instead build more transitways as feeders into the light rail, designing them in a way that would allow tracks to be laid to replace the pavement as ridership increases. It shouldn't take much research to find cities using this method as precursors to extending rail transit lines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's hard to find good numbers on Transitway usage, but the last stats on the OC Transpo website are from 2016 and show 210,000 riders per day, althought ridership has apparently gone up slightly so lets say 240,000 which is slightly higher than it was in 2015. Add on the daily ridership of the Trillium Line (about 15,100) and you get 255,100 riders per day on the light rail network. That definitely puts it in the top 5 of overall busiest light rail systems, but not at the top.

The Confederation Line will have to title of busiest single line as I mentioned before though. 

Hopefully we'll see some official numbers some day.

9 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

Why would it? I can only see OC planning to instead build more transitways as feeders into the light rail, designing them in a way that would allow tracks to be laid to replace the pavement as ridership increases. It shouldn't take much research to find cities using this method as precursors to extending rail transit lines.

Building busways to convert to railways has proven to be not as simple of an idea as thought seeing as it's taken years to do just for this line. They're already starting with Stage 2 which will convert even more of the transitway to light rail, but it will be a few years. They aren't reducing the size of the fleet that much anyway. Hybrids only make up about 115(?) of the fleet and with the bulk of the capacity being handed over to light rail, that extra capacity just isn't needed.

Plus I've heard they're buying 12 extra nova buses (or whatever model they choose) to "increase" capacity for next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
 
1
Just now, OCCheetos said:

Hybrids only make up about 115(?) of the fleet and with the bulk of the capacity being handed over to light rail, that extra capacity just isn't needed.

Plus I've heard they're buying 12 extra nova buses (or whatever model they choose) to "increase" capacity for next year.

About 175 (including those that retired)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, OCCheetos said:

It's hard to find good numbers on Transitway usage, but the last stats on the OC Transpo website are from 2016 and show 210,000 riders per day, althought ridership has apparently gone up slightly so lets say 240,000 which is slightly higher than it was in 2015. Add on the daily ridership of the Trillium Line (about 15,100) and you get 255,100 riders per day on the light rail network. That definitely puts it in the top 5 of overall busiest light rail systems, but not at the top.

The Confederation Line will have to title of busiest single line as I mentioned before though. 

Hopefully we'll see some official numbers some day.

Building busways to convert to railways has proven to be not as simple of an idea as thought seeing as it's taken years to do just for this line. They're already starting with Stage 2 which will convert even more of the transitway to light rail, but it will be a few years. They aren't reducing the size of the fleet that much anyway. Hybrids only make up about 115(?) of the fleet and with the bulk of the capacity being handed over to light rail, that extra capacity just isn't needed.

Plus I've heard they're buying 12 extra nova buses (or whatever model they choose) to "increase" capacity for next year.

Indeed. Doing rail from the get-go is hundreds of millions of dollars cheaper to boot, where the plan is to eventually have rail anyway. 

I hope other cities take the Ottawa model as what not to do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the time when the Transitway was originally thought of was it cheaper to build a BRT or was it cheaper to build a LRT at that time? I'm not a transport expert or analyst  in this field of Transit, but I'm guessing pop had something to do with it.

 

True ifwe had built a LRT instead of the transitway, would we be where we are today  with the Transitway(prior to the LRT Construction)? or would the LRT be not as expanded as the LRT is/Transitway was?

 

It all comes down to cost. Lot of you have to remember at that time borrowing money was expensive with interests rate somewhere between 15% & 20%  in the 1980's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In all honesty this is just pethic. If I where a city or transit authority I would not purchases the trains Ottawa getting or deal with the group building the LRT. These delays make the entire RTG group look bad as a company. Yes there expect delays, but whats happening with Ottawa's LRT is just horrible. 4 delays? Is there anuy other transit project somewhere else in the world that has the same or moere delays of the project being launched.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MCIBUS said:

Is there anuy other transit project somewhere else in the world that has the same or moere delays of the project being launched.

There are in fact two in this very Province at this very time.

We complain a lot about the delays we've had, and rightfully so, but thank god we aren't Kitchener or Toronto.

And elsewhere in the world, projects can be delayed for multiple years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

In all honesty this is just pethic. If I where a city or transit authority I would not purchases the trains Ottawa getting or deal with the group building the LRT. These delays make the entire RTG group look bad as a company. Yes there expect delays, but whats happening with Ottawa's LRT is just horrible. 4 delays? Is there anuy other transit project somewhere else in the world that has the same or moere delays of the project being launched.

 

Off the top of my head

Crossrail in London

Edinburgh Trams

and that’s without even thinking to hard.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

In all honesty this is just pethic. If I where a city or transit authority I would not purchases the trains Ottawa getting or deal with the group building the LRT. These delays make the entire RTG group look bad as a company. Yes there expect delays, but whats happening with Ottawa's LRT is just horrible. 4 delays? Is there anuy other transit project somewhere else in the world that has the same or moere delays of the project being launched.

Off the top of my head, the first phase of Hong Kong's Sha Tin to Central link was supposed to open mid-2019, but ongoing construction issues have now placed opening day to "under review." New York's Second Avenue Subway was announced to be opened in 2013, but opened in 2017.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/4/2019 at 4:03 PM, MCIBUS said:

At the time when the Transitway was originally thought of was it cheaper to build a BRT or was it cheaper to build a LRT at that time? I'm not a transport expert or analyst  in this field of Transit, but I'm guessing pop had something to do with it.

 

True ifwe had built a LRT instead of the transitway, would we be where we are today  with the Transitway(prior to the LRT Construction)? or would the LRT be not as expanded as the LRT is/Transitway was?

 

It all comes down to cost. Lot of you have to remember at that time borrowing money was expensive with interests rate somewhere between 15% & 20%  in the 1980's.

The idea of the Transitway was that there needs to be a pretty high threshold of ridership to justify a railled system, be it subways or LRTs as the capital costs are much higher. Using buses was easy and relatively inexpensive because OC didn't need to buy that many more of them - their investment in the vehicles, maintenance facilities and training was never going to be lost by running buses on the Transitway. And since the actual property was going to be needed regardless of the vehicles that ran on it, that investment wouldn't be lost if the corridor was converted at some far-off point in the future.

 

The problem is that at some point, buses simply can't carry enough - and that's the point at which Ottawa has reached. (Actually, they reached it some time ago, but hey, these things take time to react to.)

 

Dan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/4/2019 at 7:10 PM, MCIBUS said:

In all honesty this is just pethic. If I where a city or transit authority I would not purchases the trains Ottawa getting or deal with the group building the LRT. These delays make the entire RTG group look bad as a company. Yes there expect delays, but whats happening with Ottawa's LRT is just horrible. 4 delays? Is there anuy other transit project somewhere else in the world that has the same or moere delays of the project being launched.

Wasn't ION delayed several times as well? Also, Edmonton's Metro line, and several of Calgary's extensions (some of which were delayed by 2-3 years)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • octranspobusfreak changed the title to O-Train Line 1 | The Confederation Line

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...