O-Train Line 1 | The Confederation Line

YouTuber 'Ottawa Freelance Photography' has posted several video drone footage of the LRT Project.

Between Blair and Trim: 

Cut-and-cover tunnel along the Richmond-Byron Corridor (between Dominion and Lincoln Fields):

Along O-Train West Extension from Lincoln Fields (drone and ground footage):

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chris_the_traveller said:

What is the top speed of the LRT likely to reach in those segments down the highway to Orleans?

When I used my speedometer on my phone in the segment from Lees to Hurdman, we were averaging around 30km/h.

I hope the trains won't crawl along at such a low speed when running parallel to the highway.

The vehicles have a top speed of about 100km/h. Along the current part of the line I believe the top track speed is 90km/h in some stretches, with trains usually getting up to 80km/h. (namely between Lees and uOttawa, Parliament and Lyon, and Bayview and Tunney's). 

The trains will definitely be able to get up to some high speeds on the way to Orleans.

I can't comment on the entire line but it seems when the train leaves UOttawa and heads down that hill towards Lees it seems to be going extremely fast(not sure of the speed)but it feels like your going ""like bat out hell"

On 5/28/2022 at 3:22 PM, MCIBUS said:

I can't comment on the entire line but it seems when the train leaves UOttawa and heads down that hill towards Lees it seems to be going extremely fast(not sure of the speed)but it feels like your going ""like bat out hell"

70 km/h with gravity on the train's side.

The planned nightly shutdown for Confederation Line has now been postponed. Regular service will continue operating. 

Original plan was on June 5th to 7th and 12th to 14th, trains would stop running after 10 PM between Blair and Hurdman. R1 replacement bus service operating in-place to cover the final hours of service.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Ottawa Citizen has published an article about an RTM Maintenance Director being onboard the very train prior to being derailed in September 2021: https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/lrt-maintenance-director-was-on-poorly-maintained-train-that-derailed-last-september

The article would be based on transcript interviews that were made by the Ottawa Public Light Rail Inquiry, prior to the Inquiry beginning -- link to transcript: https://www.ottawalrtpublicinquiry.ca/files/evidence/Transcripts-of-Formal-Interviews/RTM-Steven-Nadon-April-21-2022.pdf

I suggest that you start reading at PDF Pg 109 (which is written as Pg 108 on the top-right corner), Line 24.

• 2 weeks later...

This afternoon,, the trainset that I was onboard -- 1101-1103 -- had a "door fault" at Lyon Station in the eastbound direction. This caused all trains to be held for about 5 to 10 minutes. Upon arriving Blair, the train was brought back to the yard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

There was a power outage last night on O-Train LRT Line 1 between Tunney's Pasture and Lyon just before 11pm last night. R1's were in implemented between Tunney's Pasture and Lyon. The power came around 11:20pm. 

The timing could not have been worse due to people (likely) leaving Bluesfest around that timeframe after the main headline act performance.

Announcement of Disruption:

End of Disruption

Customer's sighting at Tunney's Pasture:

• 2 weeks later...

Today, it appears they did put out the extra trains into service during rush hour (instead of the scheduled 5 minute service with 11 double trains).

AM Rush Hour: 15 double trains (at 3 to 4 minute frequency)

PM Rush Hour: 13 double trains (at 4 minute frequency)

The last time they operated the extra trains on a weekday rush hour was June 28, 2022 (as per my post in the GOA transit news, info thread)

OC Transpo will temporarily operate end-to-end service from 10:30pm until the end of service (1am).

Eastbound trains will operate on the westbound tracks (i.e. the wrong way) from just west of uOttawa Station to west of Tremblay Station (specifically between Tremblay and Hurdman). This will be single tracking operation along this stretch due to the lack of crossover switches. 

See Twitter thread (there is a map illustrating this in Part 4 of the thread): 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

I suspect this has something to do with Rideau and the activity that happens after 11PM and late night on Rideau & the market area.

No, that is not the reason.

The re-wiring work must be done in daylight. That is why the LRT line will temporarily operate end-to-end, with single tracking operation between uOttawa and Tremblay. 

11 hours ago, JCL said:

No, that is not the reason.

The re-wiring work must be done in daylight. That is why the LRT line will temporarily operate end-to-end, with single tracking operation between uOttawa and Tremblay. 

There is no physical reason why the wiring must be done in the daylight. If they chose not to, it is likely that RTM simply does not own spot lights to do the work or does not have enough crews to do multiple shifts of work.

And both of these reasons are problematic.

Dan

5 minutes ago, smallspy said:

There is no physical reason why the wiring must be done in the daylight. If they chose not to, it is likely that RTM simply does not own spot lights to do the work or does not have enough crews to do multiple shifts of work.

And both of these reasons are problematic.

Dan

That's the messaging that OC Transpo staff communicated to City Council and to the Transit Commission via e-mail (which is copied to the media, and Rail Fans Canada). So that's what I'm going by. 

See paragraph 3 of the screenshot of the memo. 

6 hours ago, JCL said:

That's the messaging that OC Transpo staff communicated to City Council and to the Transit Commission via e-mail (which is copied to the media, and Rail Fans Canada). So that's what I'm going by. 

See paragraph 3 of the screenshot of the memo. 

I don't care about a memo to the Councillors, or what their excuses are.

I'm giving you the fact of the matter. Stringing up wires can be done any time, any day, in any light. If they are choosing to lie to the councilors, that's their prerogative.

Tensioning is more problematic due to heating and thermal expansion, but that doesn't seem to be the case here as yet.

Dan

4 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Confederation Line has now resumed regular service. Just in time for the PM peak period.

Although OC Transpo made the announcement that at 2:30pm that full service resumed, they actually resumed full service just after 2pm. 

On 7/29/2022 at 7:35 PM, JCL said:

Although OC Transpo made the announcement that at 2:30pm that full service resumed, they actually resumed full service just after 2pm. 

The people responsible for posting usually have it ready beforehand to post immediately as service resumes, but it often gets tied up awaiting management approvals. It gets worse if upper levels of management get involved.

• Like 1

Proactive maintenance and track work will occur in the evenings and overnight between August 12th to 25th. Which could be as early as 8 PM in the evening when trains do their final full trip from the terminus stations. Then R1 would start up shortly after to bridge the gap until the final departure of the service day from the terminus.

Details are still to be confirmed along with schedule. Trains would resume the next morning at the usual start time.

EDIT: Here is the memo attached

• Thanks 1