O-Train Line 1 | The Confederation Line

On 6/4/2019 at 4:03 PM, MCIBUS said:

At the time when the Transitway was originally thought of was it cheaper to build a BRT or was it cheaper to build a LRT at that time? I'm not a transport expert or analyst  in this field of Transit, but I'm guessing pop had something to do with it.

True ifwe had built a LRT instead of the transitway, would we be where we are today  with the Transitway(prior to the LRT Construction)? or would the LRT be not as expanded as the LRT is/Transitway was?

It all comes down to cost. Lot of you have to remember at that time borrowing money was expensive with interests rate somewhere between 15% & 20%  in the 1980's.

True interest rates were high back then, but they were the same rates to finance BRT instead of LRT. What made matters worse is a good chunk of the original BRT involved ripping up an existing rail line. The city and Region went on the cheap with BRT and costs ended up ballooning back then. They haven’t learned from their past mistakes in the sense of going on the cheap. I highly doubt we’d be in the current mess had we paid a little more up front to go with Siemens like VIA’s dome for fleet renewal as they’ve seen the mess Bombardier is in even if they are the hometown choice. 

I truly believe if we’d gone LRT 40 years ago, in 2019 we’d be putting the finishing touches on a subway line down Bank St. instead of fixing a past mistake. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 8792 said:

. I highly doubt we’d be in the current mess had we paid a little more up front to go with Siemens like VIA’s dome for fleet renewal as they’ve seen the mess Bombardier is in even if they are the hometown choice

There were virtually no indications prior to selecting Alstom for the LRT that they'd end up doing such a poor job. They had done quite well in delivering the 6 LINTs to us, although they were built using an off the shelf design.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I think for all we knew back then, we went with the best option available.

Final snapshot update (photos and video) for this round now posted.

Parliament to Tunney's Pasture.

https://www.otrainfans.ca/snapshot-updates/snapshot-for-parliament-lyon-pimisi-bayview-and-tunney-s-pasture-june-13-2019

If you missed any of the other recent updates (Blair to Rideau), you can find them on the Snapshot Updates page : https://www.otrainfans.ca/snapshot

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Novabusfan_2004 said:

Any update on the LRT opening date? I live in Toronto so I’m not as caught up with this

At this point, the LRT opening date it is up in the air.

The General Manager of OC Transpo told the Councillors on the Finance and Economic Development Committee (FEDCO) that he told RTG (Rideau Transit Group, the consortium building the line) not to come back for a date for the sake of giving a date. Instead, focus on getting the LRT vehicles fixed first and achieve "substantial completion". Once substantial completion is achieved, then they need to the 12 consecutive days of testing with no major issues (if a major issue occurs during that 12-day window, the testing must restart at Day 1). 

FEDCO usually meets on the first Tuesday of every month, unless otherwise specified. The next scheduled update is July 2.

5 hours ago, OCCheetos said:

CEO of Alstom is in town to meet with the mayor this afternoon, so maybe we'll hear something new after that.

The good news is that the mayor AND Mr. Manconi seem to be fed up like everyone else. That may get RTG/Alstom in a bit of a no-nonsense mode. 

Today, with the exception of one double train coupled at Blair Station during the noon hour, every train I saw being tested were singles.

I am skeptical about the new July 7 RSA date. I hope I'm proven wrong!

11 minutes ago, JCL said:

Today, with the exception of one double train coupled at Blair Station during the noon hour, every train I saw being tested were singles.

I am skeptical about the new July 7 RSA date. I hope I'm proven wrong!

July 7th won't be the RSA date, it's the date Alstom says they'll have the trains complete (and free of issues).

The RSA date will be some time in mid-late August after the 12 days of perfect testing is done.

3 hours ago, OCCheetos said:

July 7th won't be the RSA date, it's the date Alstom says they'll have the trains complete (and free of issues).

The RSA date will be some time in mid-late August after the 12 days of perfect testing is done.

My mistake, I read the embedded tweet a little too quickly when it posted. 

On 7/6/2019 at 10:30 AM, STO_1601 said:

The comment section for that article is both gold and a total sh!tshow.

• Haha 1