Acadian Lines Nostalgia

ghYHZ

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That's a PD4104 coach with the washroom. The newlooks were used on suburban routes, many now served by Metro Transit.

The bus with the washroom in the interior view is a PD4107. Sometimes nicknamed 'Buffalo's', due to their profile. Back then, some of us called them 'batmobile's'.

Loved perusing these old Acadian timetables....what a wealth of information for the bus historian. I first saw these on another website, and that is what brought me over to join this one..... :)

Surprising to me was how often the Halifax terminal location changed in a few years time. Especially compared with let's say Toronto.......

• 2 months later...

The VIA location is horrible. It was never meant to have 45-foot coaches enter nor park in front of the strip mall where it is located. Because Maritime Bus management never did much legwork on this location, the landlord (not VIA) has now ordered only 1 coach allowed in front at any time, no idling (due to the office workers in the adjoining storefronts, who come out to have a cigarette anyway) and a obvious dislike of the arrangement. If you arrive and another coach is there, you have two choices - pull over and watch Truro motorists confuse your four-ways with the lights on a school bus (quite amusing actually), or park in the far parking lot then attempt a left turn back into the station when its your turn. Ah the joy of having to back an MCI out onto Esplanade St. because it won't make a sharp turn. At least the old Acadian terminal was designed for buses...

That sounds like the worst arrangement ever... from a logistical point of view

LOL according to my old management, who don't normally drive buses, it was the best spot ever for a bus terminal when they announced the relocation to VIA. Coming in you have to watch the wood planter boxes on both sides, cars coming from the right and motorists driving the wrong way on the left, then you have to watch the overhand on the building. When leaving you have to watch for ppl backing out of the angled stalls without looking then try to position yourself to make a tight left back onto Esplanade. I'm amazed there hadn't been a major accident in 4 months.

I was not aware of the actual details involved. I just meant that generally it is a good thing for intercity buses and trains to share facilities for the convenience of the public.

Obviously, it doesn't always work out that way, when trying to adapt an existing station as opposed to a new purpose-built intermodal one....

The idea of co-locating it with the train station is definitely a great idea, but the Via station there in Truro is located in a tight little strip mall.. I'm thinking back to the last time I was in that mall, there's a pretty good fish and chip place there, but I can't even picture getting a bus around in there. JC, isn't there some space toward the far end of the mall parking lot, heading towards Bible Hill?

The idea of co-locating it with the train station is definitely a great idea, but the Via station there in Truro is located in a tight little strip mall.. I'm thinking back to the last time I was in that mall, there's a pretty good fish and chip place there, but I can't even picture getting a bus around in there. JC, isn't there some space toward the far end of the mall parking lot, heading towards Bible Hill?

The far end is a good size parking lot but you have to use one of the strip mall driveways to get into that end of the lot with a coach, there simply isn't room to turn around when the lot is busy. MB was suppose to infill one of the old track lanes behind the station and have the buses pull up to the loading doors at the back of the station. Then they figured out how much it would cost to do the work... when maybe it should have been one of the first thoughts before agreeing to be a tenant there. Of course it doesn't surprise me since most things they've done are mind boggling and the only reason MB has revenue is that they are the ONLY intercity carrier in the region. Competition would force them to improve the game plan.

• 2 years later...

I have put an album together on my Ipernity website to display a set of Acadian Lines photographs which I took during a visit to Nova Scotia in September 1992.

I rode from Halifax to Sydney and back and from Yarmouth to Halifax on Acadian (I travelled from Halifax to Yarmouth on MacKenzie and I will put that album together in due course). On all the trips I took photographs along the way. I would like to share them with the forum.

Please take a look at:

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/davidslater-spoddendale/album/796654

Regards

David

That's a great photo album David. Lots of memories from my youth when I'd visit my grandmother and we'd often take Acadian from Shubenacadie to Truro or Halifax.

Do you have photos of buses from other Nova Scotia operators? I worked from 94-96 for Zinck's Bus Company in Dartmouth as a charter driver and we often used equipment owned by related companies, such as Perry Rand, McLellan Bus, Bluenose Transit, Reid's Bus Service, Boyd's Bus Service ('79) Ltd. I also worked one school year in 96 for Scotia Student Transfer who ran school buses for the French school board. SST was a Gilco company operating out of Nova Charters garage in Burnside, right across the road from Zinck's. Would love to see pics of their stuff if you have any. Thanks

Jean-Claude

• 1 month later...

In response to Jean-Claude (which I have to were done earlier by private messages), I can advise that I have now added the photos of MacKenzie and and Zinck's which I took during my 1992 Nova Scotia visit, to my Ipernity site.

The MacKenzie album is at:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/davidslater-spoddendale/album/809246

.... and the Zinck's at:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/davidslater-spoddendale/album/809242

I hope to get some Metro Transit and Transit Cape Breton photos uploaded in the next couple of weeks. I will put them in the same album as the Zinck's.

David