Translink 2013 fare hikes

justin.sulpico

No, because I already know of this hike since at about 2010.

There are actually many news about this hike this year all years long. So anyone should know this by now unless they don't care, or simply forget, or just have to complain everytime the news is raised...

Honestly it won't affect me because I'm a BC Bus Pass holder... but when I think about the countless others who have to use TransLink services to get around it becomes beggars' belief that TransLink has the cheek to raise fares when it can't even control the amount of bonuses handed out to its' senior executives - it's as if their high salaries aren't enough of a reward for them. TransLink should seek additional funding from someone other than the taxpayer for a change. Wouldn't it be better if TransLink could convince other operators/agencies to accept Compass Card as a form of payment... like the ORCA card in Seattle? Supposing Compass were to be extended to the nearest BC Transit systems, and BC Ferries? ORCA works on six transit agencies, and Washington State Ferries.

So let me guess, with this fare increase, there's a huge doubt there will be service increase!

Typical Trashlink, always kybosh the people!

Well, its rare but the December service change does have a net increase of service (mainly due to the Hwy 1 rapid bus). I guess this is because they already cut other service for it from the September sheet...

Since you guys love to complain about fares... here's prices from YRT. http://www.yrt.ca/en...sses/prices.asp

Be very glad you do not live there.

- Bryan "Goggles"

Those prices do seem high, but I notced on the website that thier tickets last 120 minutes and it looks like the zones are a much larger area. So if you think about it for $1.00 more for one zone and $0.75 more for 2 zones, you can go further for longer than you can here. Im no expert, but it looks like the cost is almost the same when considering the points i put above.

Those prices do seem high, but I notced on the website that thier tickets last 120 minutes and it looks like the zones are a much larger area. So if you think about it for $1.00 more for one zone and $0.75 more for 2 zones, you can go further for longer than you can here. Im no expert, but it looks like the cost is almost the same when considering the points i put above.

The smaller zone size only applied for Vancouver (zone 1) though. Outsize of Vancouver, you can travel quite far with only paying 1 zone fare. Just to give an example, these 1 zone trips are longer than the typical 2 zone travel with YRT (Richmond Hill - New Market):

- Horseshoe Bay to Lynn Valley

- South Langley to Surrey Central

- Langley to Scottsdale

- Langley to Braid

- Maple Ridge to Lougheed

- Richmond to New Westminster

Not to mention that there's no zone boundary in evening and on weekend here...

Just for a comparison, here's the approximate area size for the 3 zones in YRT system:

1 - 740 km², 2 - 720 km², 3 - 290 km²

Here is the area size for the 3 zones here:

1 - 130 km², 2 - 550 km², 3 - 1390 km²

It's not worth it, their service doesn't have clock headways and the Region is squeezing the cost very high! With this, their taxpayers are paying so high, service do suffer and it will always be! I used to work for them, it stinks!

YRT is going up another 25 cents as of next year!

Hey if they weren't paying for fare gates this fare hike would not be required - the FY 2013/2014 investment into the gates exceeds the funding deficit this fare increase is aimed at filling. Just saying.

The fare increase was proposed to be every 3 years back in 2008. The first increase was done in 2010, so 2013 would be the second increase, which will be done regardless of which project went forward or not. The only difference would be that the amount required for the new funding source would probably less...

In the 2010 capital project plan, the annual impact of smart card and faregate project on the capital budget +18M, with federal and provincial government contributing about 40% of it. The annual impact on the operating budget is -1.75M, and this would be all on TransLink since the fed and prov have nothing to do with operating budget.

By the way, since the audit says TransLink should adjust for inflation every year instead of saving the fare increase every 3 years, they will begin raising fare every year starting 2014 rounding to the nearest nickel. The cash fare for 2014 would be $2.80/$4.20/$5.60, and for 2015 it would be $2.85/$4.35/$5.70.

• 2 weeks later...

Fare hikes are never fun for anyone, including transit staff. People have already started complaining about the fare hikes. Unfortunately, they are needed to keep the system running. If I had to pay my way onto transit, yes it would suck to have to pay more, but in the end, I would think that the money is needed to keep things going. Id rather pay a little bit more then have to worry about more service being cut. And the other thing that I find funny is that people want massive transit expansion, but don't want to pay for it.

People want 24 hour SkyTrain: costs more money.

People want more frequent SeaBus: costs more money

People want more frequent night time bus service: costs considerably more when barely anyone rides late night buses.

People want SkyTrain or some other rapid transit to UBC: costs allot of money to build and design.

People want new buses: costs lots of money.

The list goes on. The best thing that always gets people that I say all the time is if you go shopping, do you ask the store if you can pay less for your item or say that you dont have the money so can I have it for free? No you dont. Things cost money and if you want more then you have to pay for it.