Big CJ

Bay Area Buses 1997, 2000

Big CJ   

These videos show a lot of action with a narrator. Most of the buses in the videos have 6V92TA engines although you will see some Series 50 engine powered buses as well as a Flyer 900 with a Cummins VTB-903. These videos do not belong to me. These videos should also help improve the information on the wiki on many of the bus fleets as well as the engines and transmissions.

These videos show a lot of action with a narrator. Most of the buses in the videos have 6V92TA engines although you will see some Series 50 engine powered buses as well as a Flyer 900 with a Cummins VTB-903. These videos do not belong to me. These videos should also help improve the information on the wiki on many of the bus fleets as well as the engines and transmissions.

I've seen those videos. That dude rocks for getting all of those samTrans and MUNI buses on tape, as 95% of them are gone for good.

Big CJ   

I've seen those videos. That dude rocks for getting all of those samTrans and MUNI buses on tape, as 95% of them are gone for good.

Josh Thurman was the one that took these videos. This is also gives information that benefits the wiki here.

Josh Thurman was the one that took these videos. This is also gives information that benefits the wiki here.

Yeah I actually got into 1980's buses because of that video. I actually got a lot of good info for the wiki from that video (and from my own personal experiences from living in SF). Is Josh Thurman active or on cptdb? His youtube channel (liljt-something) has activity every once in a while.

Big CJ   

Yeah I actually got into 1980's buses because of that video. I actually got a lot of good info for the wiki from that video (and from my own personal experiences from living in SF). Is Josh Thurman active or on cptdb? His youtube channel (liljt-something) has activity every once in a while.

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't heard from him much either. I also don't know if he is a member of this site. I wonder if there are any recordings of Samtran's Neoplan AN460s around or those Flyer D902s from MUNI? I'd like to hear how these sounded with that ZF 4HP-600 transmission in them.

I'd also would like to hear the noisy 6v92s on the D902s, which I heard were legendary for that. A site called NA Transit use to have all of these recordings, but the site is now defunct, along with many older sites too.

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't heard from him much either. I also don't know if he is a member of this site. I wonder if there are any recordings of Samtran's Neoplan AN460s around or those Flyer D902s from MUNI? I'd like to hear how these sounded with that ZF 4HP-600 transmission in them.

I'd also would like to hear the noisy 6v92s on the D902s, which I heard were legendary for that. A site called NA Transit use to have all of these recordings, but the site is now defunct, along with many older sites too.

No problem. BTW, are you MC CJ on Youtube? If so, I am "TheCRTman." I used to see recent activity in his feed from a couple months ago. The recordings from NA Transit have been lost and they had a 1985 samTrans AN460 recording. Those actually had 5HP600s.

I'm really happy he filmed back then. He is like a Transit-Geek Legend. Yeah, those D902's had low shifting compared to the D40's, but they were quite loud in that video. Once, the historic D902 #4574 is back in action, I will get some footage.

Big CJ   

No problem. BTW, are you MC CJ on Youtube? If so, I am "TheCRTman." I used to see recent activity in his feed from a couple months ago. The recordings from NA Transit have been lost and they had a 1985 samTrans AN460 recording. Those actually had 5HP600s.

I'm really happy he filmed back then. He is like a Transit-Geek Legend. Yeah, those D902's had low shifting compared to the D40's, but they were quite loud in that video. Once, the historic D902 #4574 is back in action, I will get some footage.

Yep, that's me. Yeah I figured they were gone after the site went down. He has a lot more stuff then what he posted, but hasn't had the time to post anymore yet.

Yep, that's me. Yeah I figured they were gone after the site went down. He has a lot more stuff then what he posted, but hasn't had the time to post anymore yet.

Cool. I'll have to check out your channel. It's a shame that site went down. Wow. I wish I knew him, as he seems to be around in CA.

Big CJ   

Cool. I'll have to check out your channel. It's a shame that site went down. Wow. I wish I knew him, as he seems to be around in CA.

Yeah I hope he posts new content one day. I also hope to hear the sound of those 1985 Neoplans from Samtrans or maybe even the Volvo B10Ms. In the second video as the Samtrans Phantom waits to leave, you can hear the brake check valve going off on that bus.

All of SCRTD's Neoplans and Flxible New Looks made that sound. So did their Old Looks. The preserved Old Look LACMTA has makes that same sound. Not sure if Samtrans had that same feature on their AMGs, Flyer D901s, Neoplan AN460s, Volvo B10Ms, or D60s, but I do know they had them on their Phantoms.

MetroAdian has an audio of an SCRTD Neoplan AN440 and you can hear the brake valve going off throughout the audio. That audio is over 45 minutes long, so it's worth the experience.

Yeah I hope he posts new content one day. I also hope to hear the sound of those 1985 Neoplans from Samtrans or maybe even the Volvo B10Ms. In the second video as the Samtrans Phantom waits to leave, you can hear the brake check valve going off on that bus.

All of SCRTD's Neoplans and Flxible New Looks made that sound. So did their Old Looks. The preserved Old Look LACMTA has makes that same sound. Not sure if Samtrans had that same feature on their AMGs, Flyer D901s, Neoplan AN460s, Volvo B10Ms, or D60s, but I do know they had them on their Phantoms.

MetroAdian has an audio of an SCRTD Neoplan AN440 and you can hear the brake valve going off throughout the audio. That audio is over 45 minutes long, so it's worth the experience.

Same here. They sounded quite unique from his video, but you can still tell it was a 6V92TA from the idle when it was sitting there. It's too bad there were no Volvo B10M artics there at the momment. Someone else got pictures of the Volvo's around the same time though. Were the Volvos and Neoplans retired in 2002? That sound was very cool. Where can I find the SCRTD Neoplan audio?

Big CJ   

Same here. They sounded quite unique from his video, but you can still tell it was a 6V92TA from the idle when it was sitting there. It's too bad there were no Volvo B10M artics there at the momment. Someone else got pictures of the Volvo's around the same time though. Were the Volvos and Neoplans retired in 2002? That sound was very cool. Where can I find the SCRTD Neoplan audio?

The Volvos didn't go to the contractor, which explains why they kept the numbers 100-114. The Volvos and D60s were replaced in 2002 by the NABIs, although some of the D60s were still running. Not sure when the Neoplans retired, but I'm hoping someone can fill us in on that.

The Volvos didn't go to the contractor, which explains why they kept the numbers 100-114. The Volvos and D60s were replaced in 2002 by the NABIs, although some of the D60s were still running. Not sure when the Neoplans retired, but I'm hoping someone can fill us in on that.

Oh okay. Yeah, the D60's kept going until 2003 and 2004, but not after '04. I would guess the Neoplans were done around the same time.

Yes, I still do have the recordings of the Samtrans AN460 (9116 and 9127). I just need to dig out some of my older DVDs with the photos to make a video and upload to youtube. Youtube doesn't allow to upload mp3 only. As for Samtrans Gillig Phantoms, I have recordings for 900, 913, 927, 928, 965, and 972 before they were repowered from 6V92 to ISM.

Yes, I still do have the recordings of the Samtrans AN460 (9116 and 9127). I just need to dig out some of my older DVDs with the photos to make a video and upload to youtube. Youtube doesn't allow to upload mp3 only. As for Samtrans Gillig Phantoms, I have recordings for 900, 913, 927, 928, 965, and 972 before they were repowered from 6V92 to ISM.

Awesome!!! Aren't you HTK20 or something? Also, SamTrans just got some new buses. I was on a brand new 2014 SamTrans 908 Gillig BRT (with that horrible new bus smell). After that, I hopped on 1998 Gillig Phantom 667. They are going to be disappearing for good in a little while. :(

Big CJ   

That will be cool to hear those. Pretty much the case with Youtube.

Benjamin   

A MUNI D902 sound would be nice! Gotta love the mechanical 6V92TA.

Sherman,

Here's a video recording of a 1992 Gillig Phantom 30102TB6V92TA that Stephen (HKT120) did.

Link:

Engine: Detroit Diesel 6V92TAC 253 hp

Transmission: Voith D863.2 (T-drive)

And another (a 1991 model) by Joshua Thurman:

~Ben

Big CJ   

Sounds a lot like the 8600-8875 series Neoplans SEPTA had.

Yeah they sound good. I hope we can hear a Flyer D902 soon. I heard those things were good. I used archive.org to see the old NA transit and surprisingly the website actually worked. Most of the links however are dead for the most part.

Here is the link to this Neoplan recording. Very long.

Oh my gawd that was awesome.

Here is the Neoplan AN460 recording.

Stephen (HKT120) thanks for uploading the recording.

This bus sounds fantastic! I like the ZF in it as well. And you were right, it is 4 speed, not 5.

Yeah they sound good. I hope we can hear a Flyer D902 soon. I heard those things were good. I used archive.org to see the old NA transit and surprisingly the website actually worked. Most of the links however are dead for the most part.

I totally agree about the Muni D902s (4500-4679). Those are my all-time favorite Muni buses. And I hope such sounds include the two-note, outside audible right turn signals. I hear that sound and instantly think of San Francisco :)

Big CJ   

I totally agree about the Muni D902s (4500-4679). Those are my all-time favorite Muni buses. And I hope such sounds include the two-note, outside audible right turn signals. I hear that sound and instantly think of San Francisco :)

Even though this is not a D902, this D40 recording by gilligbrt does have a nice sound.