Vintage TTC and GTA transit system photos thread

FlyerD901

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd share this amazing shot!

"Courtesy Toronto Public Library -- Gray Coach Lines, bus, at Paul Krohnert Manufacturing Ltd, motor bodies, Kingston Rd., s. side, between Morningside Ave. & Collinsgrove Rd. -- 1956"

The lot later became Morningside Mall (1979-2005) and is now "Morningside Crossing".

180252_487311111338878_2127028727_n.jpg

Just thought I'd share this amazing shot!

"Courtesy Toronto Public Library -- Gray Coach Lines, bus, at Paul Krohnert Manufacturing Ltd, motor bodies, Kingston Rd., s. side, between Morningside Ave. & Collinsgrove Rd. -- 1956"

The lot later became Morningside Mall (1979-2005) and is now "Morningside Crossing".

great photo - rare buses

date is April 22nd, 1956 and it's a J.V. Salmon shot (S1-3480A)

the buses (left to right) are: 697 / 693 / 698 / 694 / 624(x-WYCL#58) 623 and 622

TTC only ever had 4 Aerocoaches, #621-624, on the roster

Awesome info. DO you have any more resources about these Aerocoaches?

not much

bit on roster attached

plus photo of 624

I was wrong earlier post, ALL of these coaches came from West York who had them first

621 (1947) = WYCL 37

622 (1947) = WYCL 37

623 (1948) = WYCL 56

624 (1948) = WYCL 58

not much

bit on roster attached

plus photo of 624

I was wrong earlier post, ALL of these coaches came from West York who had them first

621 (1947) = WYCL 37

622 (1947) = WYCL 37

623 (1948) = WYCL 56

624 (1948) = WYCL 58

here's another shot - kind of ugly with weird rollsign place

TTC only had 4 of these 821-824 I think

From Philly manufacturer I think?

this is at Sherbourne Garage signed for Collingwood(823) and the other is being scrapped(821)

J.V.S again S1-1384 & 2820

here's another shot - kind of ugly with weird rollsign place

TTC only had 4 of these 821-824 I think

From Philly manufacturer I think?

this is at Sherbourne Garage signed for Collingwood(823) and the other is being scrapped(821)

J.V.S again S1-1384 & 2820

Hey, on Yellow Coach 1003 with the sedan door (in the last photo), does anyone know if those were installed in Pontiac, or were they added in the TTC shops? :blink:

BTW, according to Alan Gryfe, the four buses were AC&F 37-PC coaches built in 1940, numbered 820 to 823.

Hey, on Yellow Coach 1003 with the sedan door (in the last photo), does anyone know if those were installed in Pontiac, or were they added in the TTC shops? :blink:

BTW, according to Alan Gryfe, the four buses were AC&F 37-PC coaches built in 1940, numbered 820 to 823.

yes 820-23 (I need glasses)

these buses were ugly, terrible to drive - both management & operators detested these beasts

BTW, not telling stories out of school - common knowledge, but it's not Alan's roster lists - these list's were compiled by

the late Ray Corley from over 40yrs research.

Alan seems to 'forget' this and only puts his name on it

• 2 weeks later...

While browsing I came upon Steve Munro's thread at

http://stevemunro.ca/?p=2772

regarding the shipment of TTC PCC cars to Alexandria Egypt in July 1968.

It reminded me of some shots I had taken a few days earlier at Roncy barns, when a number of these cars were pulled off the dead line, and run around the loop to confirm they were operable and could be moved (to Hillcrest, I'm assuming) for the trip to the docks.

Old 4580 just didn't want to make the trip, and had to be pushed away by 4299.

Can anyone point to any shots on line of these cars in service in Egypt?

- Paul

4580 Wont Go.jpg

TTC 4221 Bye Bye.jpg

TTC 4576 Bye Bye.jpg

PCC to Egypt.jpg

There are a couple of photos of the cars from their time in Alexandria, but it seems like most are in Mike Filey's books. Because of the political upheaval in Egypt at the time it wasn't really much of a vacation spot, and so photos are fairly hard to come by.

Dan

• 1 month later...

From the Wiki:

"Before the GO Concourse opened, a connection to the TTC's [[Toronto Transit Commission Union Station|Union Subway Station]] was made via a tunnel through the north wall at the northeast corner near the entrance to the GO concourse, where the Leather One store entrance formerly was. It went down via an escalator/staircase, went under "the moat", curved 90 degrees to the east and proceeded up to the subway mezzanine just inside the moat via a gradual ramp. Built when the Yonge Subway line was constructed in the 1950's, it was closed off when the GO concourse opened in 1979 and passengers now head east through the GO Concourse, then south crossing the moat outside and into the subway station. Most of the abandoned passage, sealed off from the public and sometimes flooded by rainwater, continued to exist, although recent renovations to Union Station and Front Street may have seen whatever remained of it excavated."

Photos below show the tunnel and entrance under construction. It's probably all gone now due to that area being dug up for the Union Subway Station expansion. Urban explorer photos show it still retaining its original yellow-ish Vitrolite tiling, albeit somewhat flooded.

In the first photo, one would be walking straight into the Union Station GO concourse (behind that wall) from the VIA arrivals area. The currently now-closed Leather One (by the pizza place) would be behind this wall on the left, where the entrance will go in the corner of the photo. The second photo shows the area behind this under construction for the connection. The 3rd and 4th show the stairway/escalators into the tunnel.

s0381_fl0230_id10325-1 Entrance to tunnel from Union Station (train, by Leather One) 01-27-53.jpgs0381_fl0230_id10325-2 Entrance to Union Subway Station 01-27-53.jpgs0381_fl0230_id10325-3 Entrance to Union Subway Station 01-27-53.jpgs0381_fl0230_id10325-4 Entrance to Union Subway Station 01-27-53.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Bus experts

Need some location help please

I bought one of these photos at TTS Memorabilia Night when they had it at Metro Hall, before the 'internet' age I think and the other photo I bought from the late Ray Neilson before he got sick

I have no idea of the locations

can anyone help identify please?

couple more shots......

maybe some of you guys were on these charters?

1031 (April 19/1998)

and

March 1990?

think these are posed off route obviously, anybody know the locations

also photographers? Are some of these yours Bob? (THE 96A BUS?)

I thinkj I got that off Adam Zh at a train show meet many many years ago

One charter shot is labelled Chalmers but with a question mark

thanks

The 3591 shot is from my collection. I was not on the the 1990 charter (first time I've seen that photo), couldn't make the 1998 charter, but a good friend was the organizer. Dave Chlmers took the photo of 1031.

Whoops! Sorry that should be Dave Chalmers.