Vintage TTC and GTA transit system photos thread

FlyerD901

I'm not mad, but I'm somewhat annoyed that they are not credited to me. Thats basically all I want. My credit as the original photographer. I know that someone from the "Transit Toronto" website has also posted some of my photos without crediting me as well.

I'm happy to share my work with others and I don't mind people downloading photos for their collections. I do mind people making money off my photos that do not give me the proper credit. To Williampaul, there is only one of my photos in the second group of shots you posted. The shot of 3929 on Spadina was taken by me on August 16, 1986. I have been visiting Toronto and the GTA since the mid 1970's and have a very large collection of slides. You can check my Flickr page at the following address:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8901283@N05/

Here's a 1970 shot that can't be repeated.....TTC 3947 on the original routing of 49 Bloor West, on Markland Drive between Toledo and Bloor Street.

Shortly after this photo was taken, the route was extended and instead of routing via Mill-Toledo-Markland, it ran Bloor-Markland (west) - Mill Road.

- Paul

TTC 3947.jpg

I'm not mad, but I'm somewhat annoyed that they are not credited to me. Thats basically all I want. My credit as the original photographer. I know that someone from the "Transit Toronto" website has also posted some of my photos without crediting me as well.

I'm happy to share my work with others and I don't mind people downloading photos for their collections. I do mind people making money off my photos that do not give me the proper credit. To Williampaul, there is only one of my photos in the second group of shots you posted. The shot of 3929 on Spadina was taken by me on August 16, 1986. I have been visiting Toronto and the GTA since the mid 1970's and have a very large collection of slides. You can check my Flickr page at the following address:

http://www.flickr.co...os/8901283@N05/

absolutely agree Bob now that I understand the situation. It is rather difficult at times you know to find out exactly who the photographer is. As I said, the most recent 60 actual photo prints I bought had half and half. About 30 of them had peoples names on them, some as photographer and some as belonging to the "collection of....." and the other 30 had NO information at all. No offence intended but it's kind of impossible for me to know that these are your photos Bob. I can only go by what's written on the back of the photos you know.

It's s a shame there are scumbags out there trying to make any kind of buck off of other folks work but it's certainly not the first time and will not be the last. Don't know how you stop that? They do it with youtube, they do it with music and they do it with photos.

I think that it's also a 'legal' crime that over the years I have given the Toronto Library(Baldwin Room) over one thousand dollars of my hard earned money for purchase of TTC prints and within the last year..the TPL launched a digital image library and have posted hi-res images on their website for free download!!!!! I could have saved 600bucks if I knew they were going to do that. At least 50 of my purchases are now available to everyone for free. They add 10-20 new images every week!

Anyways Bob I had no idea any of these were your photos otherwise I would have obviously noted the credit. I probably have hundreds more of yours too? I never took any photos myself, I just started researching the system and acquiring images from the1960's onward. My main interest are TTC bus photos from the 50's and 60's, a ton shot by Peter Cox that I have bought off of him. Now that we have the interntet there are piles of online guys selling all this stuff and not just eBay.

BTW if you have photos from the 50's or 60's you would like to sell please message me

It's 3586, there was no 3386.

The 1905 Can-Car Brill photo is by David Wilson from his Flickr page and the 3504 photo is by Paul Bateson and was used on the front of a TTS newsletter.

Exactly right about 3504 !! Paul had this photo on his Fotopix site before they went under and now on his Flicker site. It is disappointing that it is credited to Alan Gryfe in the file name.

While it is nice to share photos, it is experiences like this that give people second thoughts. Like Bob said a few posts earlier, all that most people want is to be credited as the original photographer but there are far too many "scumbags" out there it seems.

Exactly right about 3504 !! Paul had this photo on his Fotopix site before they went under and now on his Flicker site. It is disappointing that it is credited to Alan Gryfe in the file name.

While it is nice to share photos, it is experiences like this that give people second thoughts. Like Bob said a few posts earlier, all that most people want is to be credited as the original photographer but there are far too many "scumbags" out there it seems.

yes those kind of people are all out there. Years ago Ted Wickson also accidentally 'mislabelled' some shots. i went to a train show in Ottawa and bought about 100 prints off Ted. He mistakenly had has own name on a bunch of

Chris Prentice and Harvey Naylor photos so I guess some honest mistakes do happen also. JFB also sold me some archive shots and copyrighted them as his own as well. Kind of strange,

I think people who like 'sharing' should realize that putting even one thing on the internet is like releasing a pile of balloons. They go all over the place and you never know where they end up.

People who are fed up with so-called scumbags should simply just not share any photos. There are lots of places, not so much on the net, but there are lots of places and even more people who are more than willing to sell TTC 50's and 60's shots.... on both coasts......

where exactly does Paul BAteson have any 'old' bus shots on flikr???? I just looked and he has (busman extraordinaire) current shots only, nothing before 1990 at all. Where did you run across his vintage photos Seahore_518203?????

where exactly does Paul BAteson have any 'old' bus shots on flikr???? I just looked and he has (busman extraordinaire) current shots only, nothing before 1990 at all. Where did you run across his vintage photos Seahore_518203?????

I had never checked out Paul's Flickr shots before, so I just did and noticed he did not have any historical TTC shots. When he was on fotopix, he had plenty of old TTC and Gray Coach shots but I guess he has not bothered to repost them to Flickr.

Some more shots from the CofT Archives, here's some TTC maintenance-oriented ones:

1 - TTC Hillcrest Shops and Davenport Garages, Davenport Road and Bathurst Street (1935)

2 - Hillcrest Material Yard (1924)

3 - TTC 2155 on hoist

4 - (Gray?) coach overhaul

5 - Applying side logos

6 - Rollsign

7 - Wheel mounting apparatus, Hillcrest Shops

8 - Car bumper straightener

9 - General Repair Shops interior, controller section of armature shop

10 - General Repair Shops interior, erecting shop (1924)

TTC Hillcrest Shops and Davenport Garages, Davenport Road and Bathurst Street Jul-1935 s0372_ss0100_it0231.jpgTTC Hillcrest Material Yard 09-03-24 s0071_it3311.jpgTTC 2155 hoist s0648_fl0038_id0002.jpgCoach overhaul at Hillcrest maybe s0648_fl0029_id0011.jpgTTC decalling s0648_fl0013_id0004.jpgTTC rollsign s0648_fl0013_id0001.jpgHillcrest Wheel mounting apparatus, Hillcrest Shops, (Personnel Department) 02-21-35 s0071_it10770.jpgHillcrest, Car bumper straightener, side view 05-07-24 s0071_it3166.jpgGeneral Repair Shops, controller section of armature shop 04-01-24 s0071_it3067.jpgGeneral Repair Shops - erecting shop 04-01-24 s0071_it3078.jpg

Some more maintenance oldies:

1 - Hillcrest shops probably

2 - Hillcrest shops probably, parts stores

3 - Paint shops, painting a Twin Coach.

4 - TTC 2126 attached to the vacuum cleaner, Birchmount maybe

5 - Seats

6 - PCC's getting worked on, body work and painting

7 - CC&F and Twin buses on hoists, maintenance bays.

Hillcrest shops probably s0648_fl0029_id0009.jpgHillcrest Shops probably, parts stores s0648_fl0029_id0008.jpgCoach painting s0648_fl0029_id0010.jpgTTC 2126 attached to vaccum at shop (Birchmount maybe) s0648_fl0029_id0017.jpgSeats s0648_fl0029_id0014.jpgPCC painting s0648_fl0029_id0015.jpgTTC buses on hoists s0648_fl0029_id0018.jpg

Some "vintage videos" involving the TTC for the weekend, some might have seen them before but for the benefit of any newcomers:

Due South (TV series), "Mask" episode - Chase in Bay Subway Station, mid-90's, with H4's.

http://youtu.be/BQGxIJ2dW60?t=5m53s

The Littlest Hobo - "Ghost Station" episode (1983) - Not entirely sure where the exteriors were shot, but some of the interiors look like Finch and Queen Stations. G-car action too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2432WzTkVCw

"She Cried Murder", 1973 (TV Movie): scenes of St. Andrews and Osgoode Subway Stations with original Vitrolite tiles, Hawker H2's, H3's(!), some red G-cars, M1's, and a final chase scene inside TTC's Davisville maintenance shops and yard.

"The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3" (1998 TV Movie remake), filmed on the TTC featuring Bay Subway Station, H1's, etc.

(Unfortunately, the youtube video has been removed. More info here: http://torontoist.com/2011/03/reel_toronto_the_taking_of_pelham_1-2-3/ )

And of course, this one's been posted to death, the music video for the Spoon's Romantic Traffic (1984). Lawrence Station, G-cars, H's, Bloor with Vitrolite, people with bad hair, etc.

Lots of nice late 90's Flyer action being posted. It would have been interesting if the fleet was overhauled like the 2000 series New Looks.

Browsing through the City of Toronto online archives recently, I found some old advertisement and route literature posted:

TTC & Gray Coach Ads s0648_fl0068_id0009.jpgTTC & Gray Coach Ads s0648_fl0068_id0013.jpgTTC & Gray Coach Ads s0648_fl0068_id0014.jpgTTC & Gray Coach Ads s0648_fl0068_id0015.jpgTTC & Gray Coach Ads s0648_fl0068_id0024.jpg

For anyone who is interested, there's a program dating back to 1992 looking at the TTC (as well as GO transit) as an example for the public transportation future of LA. Many M and H series shots, as well as trolleybuses.

If this has been posted before, I apologize.