Vintage TTC and GTA transit system photos thread

FlyerD901

On 5/9/2018 at 1:28 PM, tomsbuspage said:

BUMP!

While searching for bus photos on Twitter, I found these photos of TTC 3965... with Bus-O-Ramas!

Let the comments begin... B)

Dbv6Mj1W0AMaA-N.jpg

https://twitter.com/drewericksonca/status/989659649870778369

toronto-bus-slide-ttc-3965-gm-look-ad_1_

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/toronto-bus-slide-ttc-3965-gm-look-ad-432040166

It looks so New York. I assumed Bus-O-Rama was a separate company. I will wonder if they fell out of favour because of structural issues (that is the reason I heard for the dis-use of water bumpers) so  for something so large I could see that being a possibility. Of course, ad wraps are cheaper, but they came around years later. Otherwise, for the time it looks like an ideal source for ad revenue. I have seen photo s of some that had analog clocks as well.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

A neat photo of a rebuilt PCC interior circa 1973 (judging by the shape of the rear window I believe this is an A8).

Today I learned that the rebuilds had the H2/4 seats!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

A neat photo of a rebuilt PCC interior circa 1973 (judging by the shape of the rear window I believe this is an A8).

Not an A8; they never had window cranks and even the inside trim covers were left out below the standee windows.

All A6 and many A7 had window cranks (I don't know why A7 varied so much in interior colours or window lifts).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

Today I learned that the rebuilds had the H2/4 seats!

That's either an A6 or A7 because of the window cranks.  The A8's didn't have those, they had the pinch and lift windows.  The seats were the existing seats but reupholstered in the style and materials that were used on the H2 and H4 subway cars.  I wish I could ride around in that again...

59 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

Not an A8; they never had window cranks and even the inside trim covers were left out below the standee windows.

All A6 and many A7 had window cranks (I don't know why A7 varied so much in interior colours or window lifts).

Yeah.  Is it just me or did the A8's have a cheapo school bus feel to the interior without the window cranks and the trim panels forming the upper interior wall?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the correction. Cross-referencing the photo above to this one, it does look more like the rear window style of the A6/7s upon closer examination. Didn't realize how thick the structural member that divides the windows on the A8 was.

ttc-4486-rebuild-197311.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

That's either an A6 or A7 because of the window cranks.  The A8's didn't have those, they had the pinch and lift windows.  The seats were the existing seats but reupholstered in the style and materials that were used on the H2 and H4 subway cars.  I wish I could ride around in that again...

Yeah.  Is it just me or did the A8's have a cheapo school bus feel to the interior without the window cranks and the trim panels forming the upper interior wall?

Somewhere in Bromley's Fifty Years of Progressive Transit it states that the TTC wanted to order 100 MU PCCs. However, postwar inflation had raised the prices so much, that fifty non-MU cars 'of an austere design' were ordered instead.

11 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Somewhere in Bromley's Fifty Years of Progressive Transit it states that the TTC wanted to order 100 MU PCCs. However, postwar inflation had raised the prices so much, that fifty non-MU cars 'of an austere design' were ordered instead.

According to a number of sources, the TTC put tenders out for 100 multiple unit or single unit cars and had severe sticker shock when the bids came back. My understanding is that it was because of steel prices had gone up due to the Korean War. The aggressive cost containment resulted in the order being chopped on half to only 50 cars that were single unit and had the stripped down interiors.  It would be interesting to compare the per-car price of the A6 and A7 100 car orders against the bids that were received in 1951 for another 100 and see how much the price had increased. I think the same steel costs effect on pricing was what led the TTC to search outside of North America and eventually led to the fleet of Gloucesters for the subway.

6 hours ago, D40-90 said:

Thanks for posting that. That was a trip down memory lane.  The saddest part has nothing to do with the content of the video but the ending credits which read as an obituary of people who've passed away over the last 15 years or so. Most of those people are gone now.

3 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Not a photo, but here's a neat video of H1/M1s in operation in 1988.

That's a nice little time capsule.  Passengers holding Eaton's, Simpson's, BiWay shopping bags, almost a who's who of long gone retail, the yellow vitrolite tiles at Bloor station before the big remodel on the Yonge subway level and the yellow police car once he got out of the subway.

I took a look at a couple of that guy's other videos and it looks like he shot most of them on the weekends in the late 1980s when most of the interesting stuff was parked, unfortunately. On a weekday or even on a Saturday a few years earlier and there have been more neat stuff out running.

Here's a flashback to 20 years ago in the aftermath of Toronto's Army call-in snow "emergency":

snow.jpg?quality=55&strip=all

Even 20 years later and being in Ottawa, where about the same amount of snow fell (ditto in Montreal), the thought of calling in the Army to shovel snow still brings out a chuckle. :P ;)

• Like 3

On January 14, 2019 at 11:16 AM, 8792 said:

Here's a flashback to 20 years ago in the aftermath of Toronto's Army call-in snow "emergency":

snow.jpg?quality=55&strip=all

Even 20 years later and being in Ottawa, where about the same amount of snow fell (ditto in Montreal), the thought of calling in the Army to shovel snow still brings out a chuckle. :P ;)

The real flashback - literally - would be if someone got video of the subway running during that storm as the third rail got progressively iced in the various open cuts until it got so bad they had to shut the outdoor sections of the lines down.  That was an impressive light show of flashing and arcing.

On 1/14/2019 at 11:16 AM, 8792 said:

As far as I recall, when I researched the snow fall amounts for downtown in that storm, it was higher than Ottawa or Montreal. Perhaps you are looking at the records for Pearson Airport in Mississauga, which is commonly reported for Toronto, and where there was less snow, rather than using the Environment Canada station on Bloor Street near Avenue Road?

Amusingly, I was looking at Winnipeg snow fall amounts recently - and they've called out the army there for smaller snow fall amounts. The comments from those in other parts of the country seemed to not actually be based on fact. And ignored that the call to the Army was triggered by a federal government weather forecast AFTER all that snow fell, for another large event that did not actually materialize!

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

As far as I recall, when I researched the snow fall amounts for downtown in that storm, it was higher than Ottawa or Montreal. Perhaps you are looking at the records for Pearson Airport in Mississauga, which is commonly reported for Toronto, and where there was less snow, rather than using the Environment Canada station on Bloor Street near Avenue Road?

Amusingly, I was looking at Winnipeg snow fall amounts recently - and they've called out the army there for smaller snow fall amounts. The comments from those in other parts of the country seemed to not actually be based on fact. And ignored that the call to the Army was triggered by a federal government weather forecast AFTER all that snow fell, for another large event that did not actually materialize!

I used this station as the source: http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate_data/daily_data_e.html?hlyRange=1953-01-01|1969-05-31&dlyRange=1840-03-01|2017-04-27&mlyRange=1840-01-01|2006-12-01&StationID=5051&Prov=ON&urlExtension=_e.html&searchType=stnName&optLimit=yearRange&StartYear=1999&EndYear=1999&selRowPerPage=25&Line=0&searchMethod=contains&Month=1&Day=15&txtStationName=toronto&timeframe=2&Year=1999 - doesn't specify where in Toronto. I didn't use Pearson (or the Island) as they typically receive less snow than elsewhere within the GTA. This weather station reported 113 cm from 01-16JAN99.

For Ottawa and Montreal, you're actually right, not as much snow fell as I thought, but it was still a good amount. Ottawa (at the airport) had 77 cm from 01-16JAN19 and Montreal (Dorval airport) had 86 cm. The South Shore of Montreal (St-Hubert airport) was closer to the above-noted Toronto weather station 93 cm.

Obviously the difference is Toronto doesn't have the snow removal infrastructure of either Ottawa or Montreal. Ottawa especially has had several winters in the past 50 years with more than 300 cm of snow and in 1970 and 2008 over 400 cm!

5 hours ago, 8792 said:

I used this station as the source: http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate_data/daily_data_e.html?hlyRange=1953-01-01|1969-05-31&dlyRange=1840-03-01|2017-04-27&mlyRange=1840-01-01|2006-12-01&StationID=5051&Prov=ON&urlExtension=_e.html&searchType=stnName&optLimit=yearRange&StartYear=1999&EndYear=1999&selRowPerPage=25&Line=0&searchMethod=contains&Month=1&Day=15&txtStationName=toronto&timeframe=2&Year=1999 - doesn't specify where in Toronto. I didn't use Pearson (or the Island) as they typically receive less snow than elsewhere within the GTA. This weather station reported 113 cm from 01-16JAN99.

For Ottawa and Montreal, you're actually right, not as much snow fell as I thought, but it was still a good amount. Ottawa (at the airport) had 77 cm from 01-16JAN19 and Montreal (Dorval airport) had 86 cm. The South Shore of Montreal (St-Hubert airport) was closer to the above-noted Toronto weather station 93 cm.

That is indeed the station on Bloor - with the data history back to 1840! I think it's the longest data history in the country. 113.2 cm from January 2 to January 15 - and temperatures remaining under freezing after January 3rd (not that much would have melted at the high of 0.9!).

And if you compare to Pearson they only got 74 cm there.

So what do the national news reports say? That both Ottawa and Montreal got more snow than Toronto (Pearson) - but that Toronto needed the help - completely ignoring that the army went to downtown - not to Mississauga, which had significantly less slow. 53% more snow in downtown!

Funny no one mentions about the army going to Winnipeg in November 1986 - after 35.2 centimetres of snow. Toronto got 38 centimetres in the first day (January 2) alone - and the army didn't get called for 12 days when another 26 cm fell, bringing the total to 111 cm!

Searching the Winnipeg records a few years ago, I could find no evidence they had EVER received that much snow!

5 hours ago, 8792 said:

Obviously the difference is Toronto doesn't have the snow removal infrastructure of either Ottawa or Montreal. Ottawa especially has had several winters in the past 50 years with more than 300 cm of snow and in 1970 and 2008 over 400 cm!

They certainly get more, more often. I think 38 cm in a day would be difficult in any place. Until the massive 51.2 cm storm in 2016, the Ottawa one day record was reportedly only 40.6 cm. Though they didn't get more than Toronto did in that January 1999 fortnight - in fact Ottawa only received 91 cm the entire month surrounding that February 16 event.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, TechnicaProductions said:

That's Queen's Quay, around Bay Street I believe

That was my first thought too but then a couple things about the picture made me second guess that.   A bit after the air car and the train went by, an A8 all electric car came by which isn't what I would've expected.  Plus, even though the pictures aren't the clearest, it still should be pretty easy to make out the unmistakable three huge letters on the route sign for BAY, and there's something about the overall scene that I can't put my finger on, which is why I was wondering where else that might have been.

a8.jpg

9 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

That was my first thought too but then a couple things about the picture made me second guess that.   A bit after the air car and the train went by, an A8 all electric car came by which isn't what I would've expected.  Plus, even though the pictures aren't the clearest, it still should be pretty easy to make out the unmistakable three huge letters on the route sign for BAY, and there's something about the overall scene that I can't put my finger on, which is why I was wondering where else that might have been.

a8.jpg

Queen's Quay and Yonge? Maybe the sugar factory?

1 hour ago, 7575 said:

Queen's Quay and Yonge? Maybe the sugar factory?

I really don't know. Those were frame grabs from movie film that someone shot out the windshield of a parked car while it was raining and there's no identifying information on it.  I could've sworn the railway track on Queen's Quay was all open ballasted track except for crossings and that looks like it's all set into pavement like the streetcar track. It doesn't open up into ties and ballast in the background.  The railway track by the sugar factory was always outside of the road, south of it, as far as I know.  I'm not sure if there ever were streetcars on QQ that far east.

I'm stumped. Other than down by the harbour, were ther any other places where there would have been street running freight spurs where there was streetcar service?  Following the theory of one of the lines out of St. Clair because of the A8, maybe in one of the industrial areas of Weston somewhere?