Vintage TTC and GTA transit system photos thread

FlyerD901

For anyone who is interested, there's a program dating back to 1992 looking at the TTC (as well as GO transit) as an example for the public transportation future of LA. Many M and H series shots, as well as trolleybuses.

If this has been posted before, I apologize.

Thanks for posting that, and welcome to the board.

There's some neat footage there, and lots of featuring the SRT (which was probably still the "latest and greatest" at the time). It's funny looking back and listening to all the praise Toronto's transit system got in that.

Beautiful shot Bob !! The cigarette ad on the side of the bus really helps to date the photo.

Don't follow you on this one?? How does the ciggie ad really help to date the photo?

We know the Rush-hour 37 A "Elmhurst" bus started running Monday November 27th,1972 and it's last day of operation was Friday February 3rd, 1984

This short-turn was extended north to Albion on Monday the 6th and became 37B.

Smoking ads were going full-steam ahead during this entire period, at least up to the late 80's

You mean "full-smoke ahead" ?

Cigarette ads on buses (and in general) disappeared by the end of the 1970s, I don't recall any in the 1980s.

I do recall seeing a Ted Wickson postcard of a Edmonton BBC with an Export A ad on the side. I could have sworn the picture was dated 1985.

Yes and I miss those ads, not to mention that smooth, smooth taste and rich tobacco flavour. mmmm, Craven A :P

yes I agree. I do not smoke for the last 5 years but I DID smoke for 33 years. Nothing like it. smoking on planes while drinking a beer, having the waiter light you up in a restaurant after dinner,

and Smoking on the subway platforms, flicking your still lit butt on the tracks when the train came, the trackbeds must have had a thousand butts on it.......those were the days!

More from the Toronto Archives: Davisville Yard, Station, and associated Yonge subway line construction, early-mid 1950's:

1 - Davisville Station under construction, looking south from Davisville at Yonge, 1952

2 - Davisville Station building under construction, 1953

3 - Laying tracks, Davisville Yard and Yonge Line, looking south from CNR Belt Line, 02-25-53

4 - Davisville yard being laid, looking south 02-25-53

5 - Station area under construction, looking south from Davisville Ave, 02-25-53

6 - Switch into yard from Yonge St., (for delivery of first two G-cars from CNE?) looking north from Belt Line. 02-25-53

7 - Same angle a year later: A completed Davisville Yard with Yonge line and G-cars. 03-11-54

8 - Some newly delivered G-cars, likely unloaded from the flatcars in the background and moved into the yard. 11-25-53

9 - *The original* Davisville Subway Station completed, Yonge & Davisville looking south, 11-25-53

10 - G-cars in Davisville shops, 1953

11 - Davisville & Eglinton control boards

12 - CNR Belt Line and Davisville general layout plan, 1951

Davisville Subway Station before the McBrein building 1952 s0381_fl0206_id9653-3.jpgDavisville Station 1953 s0381_fl0247_id10633-1.jpgDavisville Yard by the CNR Belt Line 02-25-53 s0381_fl0235_id10421-2.jpgDavisville Yard by the CNR Belt Line 02-25-53 s0381_fl0235_id10421-3.jpgDavisville Yard by the CNR Belt Line 02-25-53 s0381_fl0235_id10421-8.jpgDavisville Yard by the CNR Belt Line with switch for delivering G-cars up Yonge 02-25-53 s0381_fl0235_id10421-6.jpgDavisville yard showing subway cars and track 03-11-54 s0381_fl0295_id11816-2.jpgDavisville yard showing subway cars and track 11-25-53 s0381_fl0281_id11462-3.jpgDavisville yard showing subway cars and track 11-25-53 s0381_fl0281_id11462-1.jpgDavisville Shops 1953 s0381_fl0271_id11271-14.jpgDavisville and Eglinton track dispactcher boards s0381_fl0271_id11271-12.jpgDrawing of TTC Davisville Station and yard with CNR Belt Line 10-19-51 s0381_fl0144_id8721-1.jpg

Here's another Anthony Holt view at the Jane Loop, but I can't make out the upper terminal on the destination portion. This view is from 1965.

Anyone have another photo with this sign or know what the upper terminal was?

EGLINTON-WESTON (you can see the next one down is KEELE 41 SHEPPARD)

from Sept 1,1963 until May 10th, 1968 sign read JANE 35 EGLINTON-WESTON

BLOOR

(BLOOR changed to JANE STN. May 11th, 1968)

until Sun Jan 3rd, 1971 when ext to Lawrence

signs read: JANE 35 LAWRENCE

JANE STN

here Robert, somebody was selling exposures a number of years ago Seller ID: Rteller

here is JANE side sign from Parkdale Sept 1964

-actually for some reason board will not let me upload this pic - tried jpg and pdf but no luck - sorry

says "upload failed" in red?

robert - seemed to work this time uploading - here is side scan PARKDALE 1964 (more than likely from September of that year)

AWESOME scan! So the Jane bus used to go along Eglinton to Weston Rd?

At inauguration March 28, 1950 JANE bus went up Jane from Baby Point to loop at Weston-Eglinton

General rerouting July 1, 1954 JANE bus ran from JANE loop up Jane and east along Eglinton all the way across to Gilbert Loop

Sept 1, 1963 when the EGLINTON WEST buses were extended west to Weston Rd, the JANE bus was cut back to loop Egliinton and Weston area.

(here's a 1959 map scan and a 1964 scan of Janer bus routing)

JANE%20May%201959.jpg

JANE%20BUS%20May%201,%201964.jpg

EGLINTON-WESTON (you can see the next one down is KEELE 41 SHEPPARD)

from Sept 1,1963 until May 10th, 1968 sign read JANE 35 EGLINTON-WESTON

BLOOR

(BLOOR changed to JANE STN. May 11th, 1968)

until Sun Jan 3rd, 1971 when ext to Lawrence

signs read: JANE 35 LAWRENCE

JANE STN

here Robert, somebody was selling exposures a number of years ago Seller ID: Rteller

here is JANE side sign from Parkdale Sept 1964

-actually for some reason board will not let me upload this pic - tried jpg and pdf but no luck - sorry

says "upload failed" in red?

robert - seemed to work this time uploading - here is side scan PARKDALE 1964 (more than likely from September of that year)

Excellent! Thanks for all the info!

Nice info. So what was preventing the jane bus from going all the way up to where the 83 trethewey terminates? Why the gap between Eglinton and Black Creek?

I'm not a west end guy but I assume it was roadway or bridges (or lack thereof) on Jane and Eglinton in the valley? Maybe somebody knows the road histories here?

There's nothing but the park & river on Jane between Lambton to the south and about Goldwin or Emmett to the north

I know for the longest time Eglinton Ave West stopped before the Humber, along with all the EGLINTON WEST buses too. It was not until 1971 that a bridge was finally built and Eglinton connected with Richview Side Rd

anybody know a road/highway hisotry here?

I know for the longest time Eglinton Ave West stopped before the Humber, along with all the EGLINTON WEST buses too. It was not until 1971 that a bridge was finally built and Eglinton connected with Richview Side Rd

anybody know a road/highway hisotry here?

Jane and Eglinton were connected through the valley at the same time iirc. Before '71 it was simply parkland in a valley. Of course the ROW was likely there for the never built Richview Expwy.

Sept 1, 1963 when the EGLINTON WEST buses were extended west to Weston Rd, the JANE bus was cut back to loop Eglinton and Weston area.

JANE%20BUS%20May%201,%201964.jpg

The loop on Eglinton at Weston was located just west of the intersection at Pearen St. This loop, known as Pearen Loop was replaced by townhouses around 2003.

It appears on this map that only the 32 entered the loop and the 35 looped on street via Lambton Ave, Guestville Ave, Eglinton Ave, Weston Rd and Lambton Ave. Service through this looping was later provided by the 71A Runnymede, this branch was eventually discontinued in favor of the 71B to Industry St branch.

here's another old shot

paid cash for this print also, so it's probably Bob Hussey's again :)

print lists P. Semple Collection as photog, so this could be anyone's photo?

Anyways, 1984 Woodbine Station

PS to all: what is the proper photo credit needed is situations?

For example, I bought slide(dupe) off A Gryfe in 1986. No photographer listed.

It is a shot from 1979

He doesn't recall whether he took the shot or somebody else took the shot back then.

He says it should be credited as "from the collection of A, Gryfe"

is this correct?

it is difficult when you buy as many TTC shots as I do because most shots say UNKNOWN or from the COLLECTION OF,

so you never really know whose photo is really is, how could you?

when you look around, even on eBay, John Bromely sells lots of shots with 'Unknown" photoographer on it, so does ttcbeat and Windsor74.

How would you all handle this?

thanks

is this correct?

it is difficult when you buy as many TTC shots as I do because most shots say UNKNOWN or from the COLLECTION OF,

when you look around, even on eBay, John Bromely sells lots of shots with 'Unknown" photoographer on it, so does ttcbeat and Windsor74.

It is hard to say, everybody handles this situation differently. I have always used the methodology "John Smith Photo, collection of Frank Jones" as the preferred method for when I am publishing or distributing photos that are not my own. If the photographer is not known, then I just use "collection of Frank Jones".

If the original photographer is known, then it always should be listed first in my opinion.

In the old days prior to digital camera, I would take 5 or 6 slides exactly the same. I would keep one for my collection and then trade the rest. Thus, there are probably a lot of my original slides out there in the collection of other people. I would hope that if they ever decide to publish or distribute them, that I would get credited as the original photographer. I label all my slides so there should be no confusion.

However, some people do not label slides or photos. Once these are passed on, then there is no way to know the original photographer.

What I absolutely hate to see is somebody passing off somebody else's photo as their own. This is common with digital photos, even with ones that have been watermarked. Sometimes the watermark is just cropped out. Even in the old days, you would get that occassionally when guys would make dupes of slides and then pass them off as their own.

It all comes down to scruples and there are some unscrupulous people out there these days.

here's another old shot

paid cash for this print also, so it's probably Bob Hussey's again :)

print lists P. Semple Collection as photog, so this could be anyone's photo?

Anyways, 1984 Woodbine Station

PS to all: what is the proper photo credit needed is situations?

For example, I bought slide(dupe) off A Gryfe in 1986. No photographer listed.

It is a shot from 1979

He doesn't recall whether he took the shot or somebody else took the shot back then.

He says it should be credited as "from the collection of A, Gryfe"

is this correct?

thanks

I guess slide collectors really didn't count on this being an issue sometimes :) Or they didn't bother to put their name on the slide, or remember who they got one from. And then the internet came along and suddenly "Ok, who shot this one? Can I repost it? Do I need to get credit?"

I've seen shots on a popular rail roster side listed as "John Runnymede, Jane Doe Collection" (original photographer, collector) or "unknown, Jane Doe Collection". There's a TTC trolleybus page that lists shots just as say "from the Doe Collection".

YMMV.

Here are a few more maroon and cream shots.

The shot of 2107 is taken at Queensway garage in May 1975. This shot was taken by my father (my shot from an Instamatic 126 camera did not turn out as well).

The shots of 3531 and 8152 are at Sheppard Station in May of 1982. The shots of 3721 and 7119 are taken at Eglinton Station in March of 1979. The shot of 8302 is taken at Pape Station in November 1982.

TTC 2107 - May 1975 - I Nicol Photo.jpg

TTC 3531 - 20MAY82.jpg

TTC 3721 at Eglinton Station - 19MAR79.jpg

TTC 7119 at Eglinton Station - 19MAR79.jpg

TTC 8152 - 20MAY82.jpg

TTC 8302 - November 1982.jpg

Here are a few more maroon and cream shots.

The shot of 2107 is taken at Queensway garage in May 1975. This shot was taken by my father (my shot from an Instamatic 126 camera did not turn out as well).

The shots of 3531 and 8152 are at Sheppard Station in May of 1982. The shots of 3721 and 7119 are taken at Eglinton Station in March of 1979. The shot of 8302 is taken at Pape Station in November 1982.

I did not realize the CIS units made it on to the 3500 series buses. My childhood memory never recalls many "standee windowed" buses with the white dome, I had an obsession as a child of tracking the fleet numbers of the buses with the white dome in the early 80's. Another thought also occured to me that as far back as my memory serves, the only time I can recall ever taking a TTC vehicle with standee windows was around 1979-1980 was on the 60 Steeles West route on a family trip to Pioneer Village. As a child bus enthusiest I thought they were great! We were frequent TTC users as my mother had no car, so I do remember always hoping to get a bus with those "extra green tinted windows". Never happened again, a least not where i grew up Victoria Park and Sheppard