Vintage TTC and GTA transit system photos thread

FlyerD901

Let's start with some really old TTC shots from the CofT archives... :P

1) Fleet of new twin coaches and shops of the TTC, 1936

2) TTC Buses entering loading platform - Eglinton Subway Station, 1957

3)TRC streetcar bodies on CNR flats for transport to Haileybury ON for temporary housing due to a natural disaster, 1922

4) TTC PCC's being loaded on to ship for transport to Egypt, 1966

5) TTC PCC 4637 Bloor car, street platform loading (above Bloor Subway Station near Yonge?), June 1955

6) Yonge St. Peter Witt cars (big Witt+small Witt), by the new under-construction Yonge Subway near Davisville, 1953

Fleet of new twin coaches and shops of Toronto Transportation Commission, (Motor Traffic Department) 1936 s0071_it11424.jpgTTC Buses entering loading platform - Eglinton Station 1957 fo1567_ser648_s0648_fl0006_id0001.jpgTRC streetcar body onto CNR flat for transport to Haileybury ON for temp housing 1922 s0071_it1581.jpgTTC Streetcars being loaded onto ship named Mare Tranquillo 1966 s0648_fl0252_id0011.jpgTTC 4637 Jun-1955 s0381_fl0321_id13171-15.jpgYonge St. Peter Witt cars, by the new Yonge Subway at Davisville 1953 s0381_fl0271_id11271-4.jpg

some more views through the 50s/60s/70s

1165 WELLESLEY route @ subway July 1955 Toronto (TTC) Archives Photo

1558 PHARMACY 67 on diversion SB VP turning EB Lawrence Feb 1976 McMANN Photo

1719 (original) LAWRENCE EAST route July 1956 posed TTC PHOTO

1971 KINGSWAY 3 route EB on Bloor at Royal York Rd 1973 B HUSSEY PHOTO

2927 KIPLING SOUTH 44 EB on Bloor about to turn left into Islington Station May 1976 B. HUSSEY PHOTO

3172 SOUTH LEASIDE 88 WB on St Clair just west of Mt Pleasant McMANN PHOTO

3382 1964 09 00 SHEPPARD 84 at Base (COUPLER-TTC cannot find the original negative) 1st month of 'new' 84 crosstown bus service.

Notice how off-loading passengers are being checked by base security. If you did not have authorized pass, you did not get off the bus while it was on the base. Security was so tight that if the bus broke down while on the base, the bus driver was not permitted to leave the bus. He had to call in for help and wait inside the bus. Remember - still a Cold War going on.

even more thru the decades:

Buses 1,2,3 & 4 posed Ritchie St, beside garage Sept 19,1921

0076 ORIOLE bus route Archives Photo 1927

0591 LAWRENCE route in 1937 posed at Hillcrest Archives Photo

3528 YONGE NIGHT BUS route 99 posed publicity shot

you can make out side sign" YONGE 99 CITY LIMITS-UNION STN.

(even though called Yonge Night the word "Night" never appeared on the rolls so for quite some time there

were 2 YONGE routes on the same roll.

3796 CHURCH `19 route NB from Queen in 1981 J BLAIR PHOTO

6057 HORNER 38 bused posed at Qsy in 1986 WICKSON PHOTO

@Grapejuice - I will leave these up :)

2927 KIPLING SOUTH 44 EB on Bloor about to turn left into Islington Station May 1976 B. HUSSEY PHOTO

3382 1964 09 00 SHEPPARD 84 at Base (COUPLER-TTC cannot find the original negative) 1st month of 'new' 84 crosstown bus service.

Notice how off-loading passengers are being checked by base security. If you did not have authorized pass, you did not get off the bus while it was on the base. Security was so tight that if the bus broke down while on the base, the bus driver was not permitted to leave the bus. He had to call in for help and wait inside the bus. Remember - still a Cold War going on.

(even though called Yonge Night the word "Night" never appeared on the rolls so for quite some time there

Awesome finds!

btw: 3796 is not my photo just from my collection lol. Same with the 88 South Leaside.

3796 is from the 70's I think looking at the licence plate. And by the 'fancy' numbers.

LOL @ 'Wintario' Whatever happened to that. :lol:

Awesome finds!

btw: 3796 is not my photo just from my collection lol. That one's from the 70's I think looking at the licence plate. And by the 'fancy' numbers.

LOL @ 'Wintario' Whatever happened to that. :lol:

must be a P.Cox photo then, has that look to it

I actually bought your 19 CHURCH 4x7 shot from a collector/dealer at OldPaper show a while back for 10bucks I think

hope you got a piece of that :)

if you recall back then it was a huge deal to win 100k let alone a million

Wintario just upped and left.

2 more for today

3741 NB Main just south of Danforth March 1968 with rare MORTIMER-MAIN 62 sign UNKNOWN

8892 April 1984 SPADINA 77B route UNKNOWN

Nah, my copy is a copy of a copy. I just gave some HQ scans to Transit Toronto. Glad they were able to find out the photographers.

Nice shot of Mortimer-Main. I think that was opening day of the route.

That Bick's promo shot reminded me of this shot:

1: fishbowl at Lansdowne for 83 Trethewey Route

and a few others for fun

2. Marmon Herrington trolley at Lansdowne Div. With Unused Eglinton West sign.

3 and 4: self explanitory :)

1 fishbowl.jpg

1 mh trolley.jpg

1 red train.jpg

2 red train.jpg

Nah, my copy is a copy of a copy. I just gave some HQ scans to Transit Toronto. Glad they were able to find out the photographers.

Nice shot of Mortimer-Main. I think that was opening day of the route.

Actually the route started in May 1961

from 66 - 68 they changed the sign to read "Broadview Stn" instead of just "Broadview"

I just took a look at the Twin Coach shot and noticed the Lawrence East route. There doesn't seem to be and info on Transit Toronto about this incarnation of the route which is clearly pre 1963 when T.T> says the 54 started to Orton Park. Was there still a break in Lawrence ave. East near the college campus at the time of that photo? I can't imagine the Lawrence East route following the existing route to Bayview :lol: You should send that shot to Transit Toronto! Incredible shot!

I just took a look at the Twin Coach shot and noticed the Lawrence East route. There doesn't seem to be and info on Transit Toronto about this incarnation of the route which is clearly pre 1963 when T.T> says the 54 started to Orton Park. Was there still a break in Lawrence ave. East near the college campus at the time of that photo? I can't imagine the Lawrence East route following the existing route to Bayview :lol: You should send that shot to Transit Toronto! Incredible shot!

No,James has not posted the 52 LAWRENCE route history yet, but here's how the route evolved.

Starting March 7,54 LAWRENCE EAST and LAWRENCE WEST began service (replacing previous LAWRENCE route) running from new subway to either Bayview or Dufferin. East/West was so people at Eglinton knew which one went which way. This continued for some time

According to the Ofiicial EGLINTON GARAGE FRONT AND SIDE DESTINATION SIGN EXPOSURES memo dated September 7th,1956, (at which time ALL Eglinton routes were numbered) this is how the LAWRENCE ROUTE RAN:

LAWRENCE 52 BATHURST/BAYVIEW

LAWRENCE WEST 52A BATHURST/SUBWAY

LAWRENCE EAST 52B BAYVIEW/SUBWAY

(The "EAST" and "WEST" were officially dropped on Sept 8th 1957 when the main route was extended to Dufferin however some buses continued to display this until new linens were installed.

Certain buses just had the new 52C exposure sewn in. Photos exist showing this up to about late 1959 or so when all "East" and "West" finally disappeared.)

Signs now read:

LAWRENCE 52 DUFFERIN/BAYVIEW

LAWRENCE 52A BATHURST/SUBWAY

LAWRENCE 52B BAYVIEW/SUBWAY

LAWRENCE 52C DUFFERIN/SUBWAY

Yes the break by the campus was always there and no, to this day, no buses ever ran thru the valley to Leslie.

yes, LAWRENCE EAST 54 route was inaugurated on Sept 1st,1963 running via EG and up Leslie to Lawrence

Here then is the LAWRENCE WEST photo shot the same time as the "EAST" one

Nice to see some of my shots up there. When I have time over the winter, I'll scan some I took in the late 70's and early 80's!

Cheers!

Bob Hussey

must be a P.Cox photo then, has that look to it

I actually bought your 19 CHURCH 4x7 shot from a collector/dealer at OldPaper show a while back for 10bucks I think

hope you got a piece of that :)

if you recall back then it was a huge deal to win 100k let alone a million

Wintario just upped and left.

2 more for today

3741 NB Main just south of Danforth March 1968 with rare MORTIMER-MAIN 62 sign UNKNOWN

8892 April 1984 SPADINA 77B route UNKNOWN

I took the photo of 8892 at Spandina Station.

Nice to see some of my shots up there. When I have time over the winter, I'll scan some I took in the late 70's and early 80's!

Cheers!

Bob Hussey

I took the photo of 8892 at Spandina Station.

Please do Bob, you have some great shots sir. I have seen many more of your shots from collectors up in these parts.

ANy chance you have any shots of the long gone HARBOUR 42 or GERRARD 38 buses? Been looking for those for years and years

One Nitpick....that shot of the 1971 on 3 Kingsway is westbound at Bloor and Islington, not EB at Royal York. There was a Kresge's next to the corner at RY.

- Ron

right you are.....thnx for the correction

here is a 1965 shot from Royal York & bloor

bus #3365 running south on RY just south of Bloor - camera facing NE

This isn't exactly photos but it's some memories of the '80's

http://www.blogto.co...nment_network/#

The Metro Moves 01 1987 has a "rare" interior shot of the original H5 seats (dark brown) for about one second.

TTC Good Thing Going also has them but showing the orange coloured ones.

I miss those dark brown and orange seats they used to have with super thick padding!

Also can't believe how light in colour the panel between the windows are on the interior of the D901s. From the late 90s onwards, they were beiged and very oldish looking. Time doesn't do well with the D901 interior colours!

That picture was taken after in the '80s for sure. Definetly not 1979, maybe 1989?

you are right, I never noticed...probably early 80's but cannot be sure.

BTW, You cannot tell by the B&W LEASIDE sign - LEASIDE got a B&W sign(some buses only) in 1976 and again in 1979 as an experiment.

Also again in 1981, well before most of the signs changed in 1985 to B&W (along with 20 & 20A CLIFFSIDE and 5A AVE RD short turn - I think?)

TTC also experimented with tri-color Mylar in the late 60's but also gave up on that. Danforth Div buses got tri-color mylar (COXWELL 22) in the late 60's also only for a few months. You can tell because linens had the destination perfectly spaced in the box whereas mylar used chunky caps and the destination was centred with spaces at either ends

The giveaway on the date should be the terminals on the Leaside sign - Leaside used to run to Pape Station but was moved to Donlands Station when the Broadview route was cut back and the Jones and Cosburn routes started. The photo would have to be after that date, which according to Transit Toronto was October 14, 1984. Also, 8284 was painted as the Milk bus in 1988 so this would have to be before that happened.

Also, there were no new-livery GM buses in service in 1979, the first ones (8520-61) only appeared in 1981, and the 8700s not until 1982.

The photo has to be between 1985 and 1988, and based on the sun angle it looks like sometime between April and September.