19 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

What's the state of 8058? Is it really beyond the structural integrity needed for restoration? Personally, i'd rather have 8058 restored than 2444. My personal opinion. 

At CUTA, I spoke with a TTC bus fleet manager named Jason who said they're going to fix 8058.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Subwayboy said:

For those interested, RapidoTrains TTC NEW LOOK back in stock. Now in CLRV color scheme! Get them while they last!!!

https://www.ttcshop.ca/collections/models 

Screenshot (6).png

Darn, I misread the page at first and thought they were O scale before I realized they were HO.  I was hoping to match up against the Corgi PCC models.  I've got the Con Cor HO scale PCC 4000 air car that would be a size appropriate match.  I desperately need something to break up the maroon and cream monotony of that and the Corgis.  How did every last TTC PCC model end up being maroon and cream anyways?  Did time stop in the early 1970s or something?

Since the CLRV paint scheme on the fishbowls has been brought up:  Is it just me or back in the day, did the fishbowls in the CLRV paint with that big expanse of grey area always somehow look dirty even when they were clean?  The red and cream ones with the unpainted stainless and the final simplified white with red stripe scheme never seemed to suffer from this.

Loving my newest Rapido bus TTC 8330. Just curious, did this esrie of bus have a different roof vent/emergency escape hatch configuration? No photo description available.

10 hours ago, Jeffrey said:

Loving my newest Rapido bus TTC 8330. Just curious, did this esrie of bus have a different roof vent/emergency escape hatch configuration? No photo description available.

8330 might’ve had that configuration. I made sure that my order came with the proper number of roof vents (added that part in the notes before I ordered my fleet haha)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

Random question: Did any TTC fisbowl have A/C?

I think all the 2000-series got it during their rebuilds.

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Orion VI said:

Random question: Did any TTC fisbowl have A/C?

No. Gm fishbowl a/c never worked. 

2 hours ago, Transit geek said:

I think all the 2000-series got it during their rebuilds.

Wrong

• Thanks 4

12 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

No. Gm fishbowl a/c never worked.

It absolutely worked on the properties that had them fitted and maintained. The TTC was not one of them, however.

Dan

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, smallspy said:

It absolutely worked on the properties that had them fitted and maintained. The TTC was not one of them, however.

Dan

Didn't know that, thanks. I was under the impression for some reason that particular AC never worked. Never seen it working on any A/C GM I have been on except the Oshawa Transit GMs that had the roof mounted AC.

GO Transit's Fishbowls had A/C, TTC's did not.  A quick check of the rear of the bus would show if the bus was factory-equipped with A/C or not.

Photos are not mine.

GO Transit w/ A/C:

8442088202_82fe6e60cf_o.jpg

TTC w/o A/C:

5203491736_4625755104_b.jpg

image.thumb.png.b3bc5fa417c7989ee935ba58fa58ef14.pngimage.thumb.png.94811bb3710d350477c57c4ec39f86cd.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Image may contain: sky, tree and outdoorAs well as the seamless windows would also indicate a/c on these particular GO buses although seamless windows were not a requirement for a/c equipped buses, they seemed to be preferred for some agencies like Chicago and the Southern California RTD.  To add to Dan's point, the a/c worked wonderfully on these buses, but on this day I took this  photo of 1100 September 1, 1997 the a/c did break down on an exceptionally hot day. It was the only time I ever had  been on a GO New Look with malfunctioning a/c and on that day it was brutal. It was also the first time I had  ever opened a New Look roof vent  as evidenced  in the photo, requested by the exasperated operator as I was the tallest passenger on the bus. I say exasperated operator as he was getting a lot of flack from the overheated passengers.  

• Like 3

On 2/8/2019 at 1:13 PM, tomsbuspage said:

GO Transit's Fishbowls had A/C, TTC's did not.  A quick check of the rear of the bus would show if the bus was factory-equipped with A/C or not.

Photos are not mine.

GO Transit w/ A/C:

8442088202_82fe6e60cf_o.jpg

TTC w/o A/C:

5203491736_4625755104_b.jpg

image.thumb.png.b3bc5fa417c7989ee935ba58fa58ef14.pngimage.thumb.png.94811bb3710d350477c57c4ec39f86cd.png

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Why didn't the GMC Fishbowls have as much engine compartment ventilation as buses these days seem to do? was the lack of venting an issue for these buses? 

The radiator and fan were located on the roadside aft corner, as per standard practice. Here’s the business end of a couple:

4C06ECC9-C4BC-40F3-B27F-6EF8FAC93341.thumb.jpeg.c7981999cccb41739f7e1b85686b32f0.jpeg

1CB886B1-E65F-4542-839D-2B10BDBDF1A7.thumb.jpeg.c94ad01bfa0ee6ee142ac14c216dd131.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

The radiator and fan were located on the roadside aft corner, as per standard practice. Heres’s the business end of a couple:

@NoUse4AName, here's a photo of the rear street side of a TTC Fishbowl:

TTC2341b.JPG

I know that photo's a little out-of-focus, so here are clearer ones from other transit systems:

STO7901b.JPG

CTCUM14-008ch02.JPG

Wood13b.JPG

Guelph152b.JPG

• Thanks 2

To add to what Bus_Medic wrote....

It's not that the engine compartments of buses nowadays are necessarily better ventilated - in fact, more ventilation of the engine compartment can be a bad thing if its not done right.

What they do have more of today is cooling requirements. Modern engines are more powerful (although not necessarily much larger physically), and require more heat dissipation. As well, there are more ancillary devices connected to them, and they may have their own cooling requirements. A/C is essentially a standard item on transit buses nowadays, and it requires its own cooling system, for instance.

Dan

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, smallspy said:

To add to what Bus_Medic wrote....

It's not that the engine compartments of buses nowadays are necessarily better ventilated - in fact, more ventilation of the engine compartment can be a bad thing if its not done right.

What they do have more of today is cooling requirements. Modern engines are more powerful (although not necessarily much larger physically), and require more heat dissipation. As well, there are more ancillary devices connected to them, and they may have their own cooling requirements. A/C is essentially a standard item on transit buses nowadays, and it requires its own cooling system, for instance.

Dan

I remember as a kid sitting at the back and how warm and hot the back of those old GMs would be, as a kid you don't think much of it, but I was just curious thinking back about it and seeing pics of the GMs here and personally noticing there seems to be more venting on the back of buses these days than the GMs, but as you all know I'm a "newbie" here and maybe I'm just noticing something that has always been there even on the old GMs, I see the rad fan placement is standard, But like the smallspy person said newer buses need more cooling I guess that's why 

Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 9.48.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 9.51.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 9.53.57 AM.png