• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ttc9432 said:

Does anyone know what the future holds for 2252? I know it's a historic bus, but will it ever serve a route, kind of like the resorted peter witt and the pcc? Or will it only show up at open houses?

Because the entire bus fleet is accessible, I would assume not. As for open houses are a better chance to see it.

http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2010/Aug_23_2010/Reports/Retention_of_2_GMC_B.pdf

BACKGROUND The Commission currently owns and operates 89 GMC T6H-5307N (GMC) buses of which 42 will remain in service by December 2010. The remaining 42 GMCs are scheduled to be phased out by the end of 2012. At the request of the Chair, two GMCs will be retained for historical purpose and for tours and special charters.

Edited by 8058

I mean, if they were going to run them in heritage service, it's not like they'd have to cut an existing run on those routes, they could just supplement the existing service with an additional run and change the schedule formatting so that regular passengers know which runs are pre-existing accessible ones, and which one will have a historical vehicle on it.

Another way they could handle the situation is to run them as one of those routes, but have the passenger-end route be labelled "H6"/"H121" (the H for being historical), like they do in places in Europe. That way, there's no confusing them for buses running on regular 6/121 runs. There's a lot of solutions to the problem, if they wanted to run the buses in heritage service.

• Haha 1

Of course, and that's the bigger issue at play here. I'm just saying, if they were to magically change their minds, I'm not sure why having a fully accessible full service bus fleet would be a hindrance to running such a service. It's not like they'd be taking away from existing service levels.

1 hour ago, Tom1122 said:

I'm not sure if it was asked previously, but what series of 5307 were the fastest series the TTC ran?

Probably the last batch. The 3 speed v730 might have helped with that, but I don’t know too much in the technical department of the powertrain on these buses. 

Though we did have the secondhand batch of ex-UTA buses with a 6v92 engine. I never got the pleasure of seeing them in person, but a 6v92 is a strong motor

8 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

Probably the last batch. The 3 speed v730 might have helped with that, but I don’t know too much in the technical department of the powertrain on these buses. 

Though we did have the secondhand batch of ex-UTA buses with a 6v92 engine. I never got the pleasure of seeing them in person, but a 6v92 is a strong motor

Being a 17 year old co op brat at Duncan in ‘97, I did see them and rode them... never got behind the wheel obviously... but I’ll assume they performed similarly to the UTA Classics YRT picked up in ‘03. Those I did get up close and personal with.

As for the ttc’s native 5307s, much of the performance had to do with the skill of the technicians setting up the mechanical rack and governor, valve and injector lash.

like a similar vintage carberated engines, there are lots of variables.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

I wonder if that's why they put those on the Expresses back then (UTA GMs).

On 11/19/2018 at 11:50 PM, bus_7246 said:

I managed to get a few photos of the ex UTA buses back in December 1997. I realized I may not have posted any in GM Fleet reminiscing Image may contain: outdoor

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

I managed to get a few photos of the ex UTA buses back in December 1997. I realized I may not have posted any in GM Fleet reminiscing Image may contain: outdoor

I am very curious about the purpose of the light before the front doors... Did these buses come with a kneeling feature?