On 11/18/2016 at 9:09 PM, TTCVIAFan25 said:

That unit in the Kimco yard is now just half of a bus...

Taken with permission from the Kimco staff.

DSCN9776.JPG

Looks like there are some wooden partitions inside the bus as well as some covered windows. Was this one converted to a motorhome before it was cut?

Was wondering if someone who was tracking the GM Rebuild could make sense of this passage we have on our wiki:

700-2720, 2759-2789 (odd numbers only), 2790-2806, 2808-2818 and 2820-2858 received 18 year body and mechanical rebuilds independently of each other, while 2721-2757, 2768-2788 (even numbers only), 2807 and 2819 received the 18 year body and mechanical rebuild at the same time.

What exactly does "received 18 year body and mechanical rebuilds independently of each other" mean? I'm under the presumption that at the 18-year mark the buses were stripped down, had their systems and components rebuilt, had their frame and body repaired, and then put back together like every other bus.

On 11/23/2016 at 3:42 PM, ADB said:

What exactly does "received 18 year body and mechanical rebuilds independently of each other" mean? I'm under the presumption that at the 18-year mark the buses were stripped down, had their systems and components rebuilt, had their frame and body repaired, and then put back together like every other bus.

Some buses in that group initially only received the body part of the rebuild and were painted into the new colours afterward; they were not renumbered at that time. They were later sent back to Hillcrest where they received the rest of the program and were then renumbered.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

Will 2252 retain the number 2252 or renumbered back to 8752?

I would say 2252 as it's in the most recent scheme and the seats are the standard red fabric insert ones. If they had restored it with the vinyl ones they probably would have numbered it 8752. 

43 minutes ago, noahrp24 said:

I would say 2252 as it's in the most recent scheme and the seats are the standard red fabric insert ones. If they had restored it with the vinyl ones they probably would have numbered it 8752. 

I know a few GMs from the series were painted in the current livery with red fabric seats but initially kept their original number.

1 hour ago, Tom1122 said:

I know a few GMs from the series were painted in the current livery with red fabric seats but initially kept their original number.

If that's the case then I'm not sure. But given that they are already restoring 8058, it would make sense to have one in the 2000s series..

50 minutes ago, Cimon8000 said:

So both 2345 and 2444 will be parts bus?  I thought they will rebuild a total of 3 Fishbowls.......one in each livery

They guys at the open house said 2 for sure (2252 and 8058) and maybe a third. Sounded like they'll finish the 2 then assess if they want to do a third.

7 hours ago, Cimon8000 said:

So both 2345 and 2444 will be parts bus?  I thought they will rebuild a total of 3 Fishbowls.......one in each livery

From the looks of it, 2444's rear is being parted out for 8058.  Parts bus 2345's rear could go on to 2444's rear.    

9 hours ago, noahrp24 said:

If that's the case then I'm not sure. But given that they are already restoring 8058, it would make sense to have one in the 2000s series..

Hasn't that rumour been debunked, though?

5 hours ago, TTC 8058, 2252 & 2444 said:

From the looks of it, 2444's rear is being parted out for 8058.  Parts bus 2345's rear could go on to 2444's rear.    

in that being said, I am happy enough to see at least 2 being rebuilt, and hopefully to see 8058 back in maroon and cream scheme................but that would be perfect to have a 3rd one in CLRV scheme if not asking too much

6 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Hasn't that rumour been debunked, though?

Something's up with 8058 - they've torn that thing down rather thoroughly, too thoroughly. If they were going to junk it they'd probably just remove the seats and interior panels/components to reuse in another unit, and junk the rest. The :new" rear window body panel from another unit sitting behind 8058 is also suspect, like they are planning to replace 8058's the rusted-out one.

Methinks maybe the fact that the TTC has a Rapido fishbowl model for sale (pre-order) on their site numbered 8058, perhaps someone changed their minds on keeping the real thing...

But who knows.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, D. DeLarge said:

Something's up with 8058 - they've torn that thing down rather thoroughly, too thoroughly. If they were going to junk it they'd probably just remove the seats and interior panels/components to reuse in another unit, and junk the rest. The :new" rear window body panel from another unit sitting behind 8058 is also suspect, like they are planning to replace 8058's the rusted-out one.

Methinks maybe the fact that the TTC has a Rapido fishbowl model for sale (pre-order) on their site numbered 8058, perhaps someone changed their minds on keeping the real thing...

But who knows.

Agreed. I think too much has been removed if was to be scrapped. It could be a exploratory tear down to see if it's worth saving but I don't think they would have removed the floors since most of the structure is visible from the bottom, or the front since it's mostly sheet metal up there and again visible from the bottom. Looks like it will be repaired using the front of 2345 and the rear of 2444 but I no longer have contacts at Harvey/Duncan to confirm.

• Like 1

There's a problem with that line of thought.....

You don't remove the interior panels of a New Look if you're going to be working on the exterior skins or replacing structural panels, and most certainly not the floor. The floor especially is key to holding the entire bus together.

It has seen a teeny-tiny bit of body work - a number of holes in the steel panels have been filled here and there, although none replaced - but certainly not even remotely close the amount seen on the other two.

Dan

• Like 1

8058 has had its interior stripped, the furniture pulled out and some of the wood base flooring uplifted as well. The bus is looking really rough prior to her overhaul. Rust in several nooks and crannies. It's a good thing we took her back. 

2252 was three spots over awaiting work too. 

Heres a bonus shot I took:

IMG_5366.JPG

• Like 7