GRT New Flyer Xcelsiors

Number12

• 1 month later...

heard today that the 214xx are in sitting behind the garage and region of waterloo has canceld the rest of the contract with new flyer.

Thats a shame! :(

Does that mean we are going back to NovaBus for the rest of what NFI was supposed to cover?

How come GRT's problems with the Xcelsior doesn't seem to be a problem for other Ontario transit systems that have been using this model for several years? Is it isolated to something unique that they ordered with their batch?

thats a good question i asked the same thing i keep hearning new flyer is the issue well look the 213xx never passed mto when they first came in bc of the brake line issue i havent heard anybody eles having that issue in ontario somthing is not right

How come GRT's problems with the Xcelsior doesn't seem to be a problem for other Ontario transit systems that have been using this model for several years? Is it isolated to something unique that they ordered with their batch?

I think that instead of going off on their own when ordering the new buses, they could look at what the other transit organizations use in their buses. One thing that stands out to me, is that we are probably one of the only transit organizations in Eastern Canada that uses the ZF powertrain in our XD40's (which might have something to do with the repair costs going through the roof). The other organizations use Allison and Voith powertrains for a reason, because they know that Allison and Voith are more trustworthy and reliable for this specific model. I just don't understand why GRT has to go off on their own and have buses built with components that are not widely used or tested on this specific bus model.

What I am saying is that is that GRT could learn a lot from the other organizations that have used this model of bus for years.

A few things before they should have ordered the XD40's.

1. Get heating in the drivers area.

2. Use a better transmission.

3. Make sure what the brake line did first.

4. The turning radius should have been fixed.

I hope these XD40's go back to NFI for something to do with these things.

I didn't ride any of them. It's great to hear that they are going to NovaBus LFS. The only thing I disliked about them is that the windows were bolted shut. I'm typing this at school. But seeing them doing changes and stuff. Since 530-531 are getting close to retirement. I think they should use 2 of the XD40's to replace them. I never seen GRT have so much issues with new buses.

I think that instead of going off on their own when ordering the new buses, they could look at what the other transit organizations use in their buses. One thing that stands out to me, is that we are probably one of the only transit organizations in Eastern Canada that uses the ZF powertrain in our XD40's (which might have something to do with the repair costs going through the roof). The other organizations use Allison and Voith powertrains for a reason, because they know that Allison and Voith are more trustworthy and reliable for this specific model. I just don't understand why GRT has to go off on their own and have buses built with components that are not widely used or tested on this specific bus model.

What I am saying is that is that GRT could learn a lot from the other organizations that have used this model of bus for years.

It's like taking money and setting it on fire. They could have used A B400R5. I would see better performance. Calgary Transit has the same power train/transmission. They have not had issues yet. I don't like ZF.

you are right about 530-531 they are having major issues there time is coming

They sounded weird with the C8.3 engine. I remember the 9600's as a small kid. I didn't like them. I hope they send the 21300's back to NFI. I'm thinking they should have done a lot of things before this happened. Back in Fort McMurray there XD40's are pretty good buses. The windows open. I compared them to the GRT ones. Yeah I'm thinking these should get some stuff done. 21201-21220 had me thinking they would be the last novae in the fleet until 2018. Thanks for collecting info on these. It's easier to keep track. In the summer. I saw these things going around. Until they had issues with them. They became unrealible.

Another thing I was thinking if GRT had D40LFR's I wonder how they would perform. 2601-8021 are my favourites since they have really good quality inside them. The hybrids are not much of my thing.

I heard a rumour awhile back there was a production flaw in the GRT line up at the factory. They're all lemons. Xcelsior is not a very good bus to begin with. A lot of agencies in Ontario are not happy with them.

I can't help but wonder if this will have an impact on the next Metrolinx bus procurement.

Who knows. Agencies will have the option to opt in or out once everything is finalized. I did hear NovaBUS is really sharpening their pencils this time around... they want it. I hope they get it.

thank you PT1 that is what i been hearning from GRT Drivers for over a year now.

You're welcome. Its too bad the way it is... They're nice to drive when brand new but sure don't seem to stay in one piece for a long time.