GRT New Flyer Xcelsiors

Number12

I'm assuming that they supposedly fixed all the deficiencies with these buses?

Or, is it just typical GRT, and they're putting them in service for next week, and there are still issues with them? (buckled floors? brake lines rubbing?)

Seems like they want to save face and just get them on the road>

Come the first week of class at the Universities, we need as many of these high-capacity buses on the road we can get.

As a passenger, I don't mind a buckled floor as much as I mind getting crush-loaded.

(Uh.... but maybe they can hold off on the ones with brake line issues?)

On a different topic, I was walking around with my wife, and I pointed out one of these new ones. She mentioned how the curved front gave it the appearance of matching with the future LRT vehicles. They virtually looked like LRT vehicles themselves.

in the few times i have been in grt's new flyer xcelsior buses i have noticed that they are quite loud compared to nova bus nova lfs. this is rather disappointing with the new buses and somewhat comparable to grt's 1994 new flyer buses. not what i expected for a modern 2013 bus.

All of the Xcelsior buses are built the same, there is almost no difference between any of them

Point to ponder ......................... the next time you're looking at a 213XX, straight on from the front, as it's approaching. Do you find the "bus number" very hard to see/read, because it's hidden behind the bike rack?

Maybe they should "move" the front number "left & lower", so it's more visible.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My own prefernce? Allison.

But that's mostly cause of the "legacy" of my employer's fleet.

The TTC had ZF transmissions when I was a kid, and in the time it took me to mature from a foamer kid to a licenced mechanic, they had gone to Allison. ( and bae hybridrive)

The Orion ikarus, and as built, the flyer D40-90s, and the first batch of the Orion 5s in 1991 had ZF transmissions

My own prefernce? Allison.

But that's mostly cause of the "legacy" of my employer's fleet.

The TTC had ZF transmissions when I was a kid, and in the time it took me to mature from a foamer kid to a licenced mechanic, they had gone to Allison. ( and bae hybridrive)

The Orion ikarus, and as built, the flyer D40-90s, and the first batch of the Orion 5s in 1991 had ZF transmissions

Most TA are still afraid to touch the ZF due to bad experience for some. GRT is standardizing because of the LFS standard specification. However the Allison is getting better.