GRT New Flyer Xcelsiors

Number12

GRT always places their orders in two blocks. There's the replacement buses which are granted pre-budget approval so they can be ordered a year ahead and arrive earlier in the year, and the buses that are needed for service expansion which are ordered after the budget is approved (in January). They can't order expansions until the budget because until the budget it's uncertain how much expansion they'll be doing (though the RTMP has resulted in a lot less guessing here, solid plan that everyone on council backs). Because GRT is phasing in the 12 year replacement cycle they'll need 18 replacement buses, anything for service expansion has to be on top of that. NFI can't confirm more than 18 because GRT hasn't ordered more than 18, but they (almost certainly) will in January post-budget.

Of course in reality ordering in January often means that expansion buses don't arrive in time for September, so the old ones are kept around until that order comes in. This somewhat blurs the line between replacement and expansion.

You have a source for that? Since they're arriving at Q2 2013 and with the huge service expansions next year, I can't see them being all replacement buses, let alone any.

Page 63 of the report you posted in post 2 of this thread:

http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/regionalGovernment/resources/PA2012-0925.pdf#Planning%20and%20Works%20Committee%20-%20September%2025,%202012%20Agenda

yep the 209xx are one of the worst buses grt got i seen one today that should not be on road the dark smoke coming out of the back is somthing im suprise it hasnt been caught the 23xx are slowy getting better i was on 2 today and there faster then normal by far the worst novas i have is 530-31 like the drivers say everything is back wards i hope they will get retired soon.

Yeah the kneel system is backwards, on the controls, up is down and down is up :P

Yeah the kneel system is backwards, on the controls, up is down and down is up :P

oh and you have to pull up to apply the maxi brake instead of pushing down

If you are dreaming about what the new ones will look like, look up pictures of the MTA New York's XD40's, they look somewhat similar to what our buses look like with the color schemes

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

it has init installed allready.

I see the transmission gear selector is on the right. That'll take some getting used to.

Also, Are these buses a different height/over height? I see a "Caution" sticker below the gear selector.

I see the transmission gear selector is on the right. That'll take some getting used to.

Also, Are these buses a different height/over height? I see a "Caution" sticker below the gear selector.

They are two inches taller(126") than the third generation Nova's (124"), three inches taller than older generations(123").