BC Transit - Prince George

• 3 weeks later...

I have done some updating to the PG Wiki page at this direct link: http://www.cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Prince_George_Transit_System

I have added #'s 9261 and 9274 to the roster as well as some photos.

When I was in PG, I drove by the garage a couple of times and the following buses were not seen in service or anywhere around the garage unless they were tucked inside somewhere. #'s 0018, 0110, 0233, 0236, 9081, 9082, 9249, and 9254. That being said, it doesn't mean that they are no longer in Prince George, but I bring them up just incase they have actually been moved to other properties.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

9248 was involved in an MVA two weeks ago that ultimately proved fatal.

http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/news/local-news/crash-kills-woman-1.1724455

The coach has not seen service since. No word yet on if/when it will return to service.

Since the accident, 0002 has arrived as a contingency replacement for 9248.

• 2 months later...

I can't speak for other communities, however it was announced in Prince George recently that there is a three-year funding freeze from the province to BC Transit, which affects the implementation of any short-term goals in the Transit Futures plan. These goals were:

-Service to the BC Rail site

-Service to the airport

-Improved day time service to the university/downtown

This also affects vehicle and asset acquisitions in Prince George, including new land for exchanges and new buses. There is one new transit exchange rebuild project beyond the design stage, and that will go ahead, as it is primarily funded by the City.

I can't speak for other communities, however it was announced in Prince George recently that there is a three-year funding freeze from the province to BC Transit, which affects the implementation of any short-term goals in the Transit Futures plan. These goals were:

-Service to the BC Rail site

-Service to the airport

-Improved day time service to the university/downtown

This also affects vehicle and asset acquisitions in Prince George, including new land for exchanges and new buses. There is one new transit exchange rebuild project beyond the design stage, and that will go ahead, as it is primarily funded by the City.

I think for every community is feeling the pain of funding freeze for BC Transit because Kamloops was promise 8500 hours for transit services that got cancelled from the funding freeze.

• 2 months later...

After being involved in a fatal head-on collision last winter on Hwy 97, and being subsequently removed from service, 9248 is back on the road in Prince George as of this week with a mostly rebuilt front end.

The contingency replacement for this bus was ex-Whistler trash-bin-on-wheels 0002. No word yet on whether or not this British microwave box will be sent back into the contingency fleet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
12 hours ago, BCT-3122-D800-10240 said:

You seem very happy to see 9908 depart Vernon!

I've been with Vernon Transit for a year now and 9908 has sat idle in our yard the entire time. Plus sometime before that. Honestly, it was just taking up space. Our mechanics were finally given the green light to fix it and off it went. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm going to have to assume this thread is the most appropriate place for the small systems that are interconnected between Prince George and Terrace. I recently noticed a serious error in the Smithers rider's guide where routes 162 and 163 are reversed on the map, while the schedules remain accurate. I wasn't very impressed when I contacted the transit operator and they gave me a response that was basically "there's no problem, you just don't understand how the transit here works." Unless transit literally goes dozens of kilometres in the wrong direction along Highway 16, then sorry, but you're wrong. Here's the offending schedule and map. Again, the schedules are correct, while the map is completely wrong. As a quote from the communications: "To clarify though, all the information in our rider’s guides are correct."

Yeah, hard pass on that claim.

ErrorMarch3-2020.PNG