Visit to Edmonton

D40LF

Visiting Edmonton this weekend, can someone suggest any good places to get shots of ETS buses? Also on a Saturday what buses will be out there. or will it be newer D40LF's with all the good old stuff parked (like they do in Calgary).

Visiting Edmonton this weekend, can someone suggest any good places to get shots of ETS buses? Also on a Saturday what buses will be out there. or will it be newer D40LF's with all the good old stuff parked (like they do in Calgary).

Not too sure what kind of good old stuff you are expecting? Like 200 series D40LF's perhaps? Those are a rare find on a weekend though. Anything else is fair game.

Does Whitemud Drive and surrounding area near the valley (around that patch of forest and green), have a biking trail? During my March 2011 trip, I was on Route 4 heading to South Campus LRT, and noticed that'd be a good area to get photographs of buse's and nature (especially around the offramp bus-wise)

Am currently in a motel in South Edmonton.

Had a fun day, rode the LRT between Clareview and University but only saw SD160's! Where are the U2's!!!

Only took a couple of bus photos. Trying to get a good sun angle was not easy, ended up getting a couple buses leaving Belvedere. Of course once I left after waiting with very little coming in then several buses showed up, I was driving by at the time.

Got some good shots of CN engines, which made up for the lack of bus shots.

Heading back to Calgary tomorrow morning but look foward to coming back in the future.

• Board Admin

Does Whitemud Drive and surrounding area near the valley (around that patch of forest and green), have a biking trail? During my March 2011 trip, I was on Route 4 heading to South Campus LRT, and noticed that'd be a good area to get photographs of buse's and nature (especially around the offramp bus-wise)

I'm assuming you mean Fox Drive. I don't think there are specific biking trails but you could probably ride a bike there to get pictures of buses on the bus-only ramp coming out from South Campus station.

If you're in the south, you could check out some of the motorcoach yards.

I'm assuming you mean Fox Drive. I don't think there are specific biking trails but you could probably ride a bike there to get pictures of buses on the bus-only ramp coming out from South Campus station.

If you're in the south, you could check out some of the motorcoach yards.

https://maps.google....1,+Alberta&z=16

I mostly noticed this at the off-ramp area from Whitemud going onto Fox. Lots of snow as well when I was there, so even if a bus wasn't going by, theres alot of good nature/historical shots in there as well, especially with the nearby Riverloop Trail and Fort Edmonton!

Bus routes weren't bad, either! I like how ETS fully has the hub-and-spoke systems in place. Also, Route 590 is a pretty nice ride through Leduc! Too bad that it was only rush-hour service, I went crazy trying to make sure that I didn't miss the bus (my ETS day pass was alot better than paying $50+ bucks for a taxi). That and I could've stayed overnight in Edmonton. :( at least Route 747 is fully in place now! Next visit will run much more smoothly

• 8 months later...

I will be coming up to edmonton in a couple of weeks for a Friday through Sunday, wanted to get some info on some things,

Which garages are closed on weekends?

What garages service which areas of town?

Where's a prime spot to check out the 200's and are the 200's reserved for rush hour extras?

Any feed back would be appreciated and any suggestion would be appreciated thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And my other question was in regards to the shuttle usage, in calgary we use shuttle pretty much when ever we can. I heard In the calgary thread the reason you guys use so many conventional buses is Becuase the union has fought to protect big bus work. I was just wondering if Somone could elaborate on that.

( sorry didnt know where to post plus I'm super ignorant of ETS)

• Board Admin

We have designated shuttle routes (usually 300 series routes) but you can find 40 foot buses on some of those routes, so my previous statement is a generalization. Some regular routes use shuttle buses when there is less ridership.

I can't speak about the union as I have no idea how it works.