Whatcom Transportation Authority

BCT-3122-D800-10240

Last month I paid a short visit in downtown Bellingham. I photographed two buses that were not listed on the WIKI. Does anyone know how many and when they received these new buses? Previously only up to bus #880 were noted on the Wiki page: http://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Whatcom_Transportation_Authority .

Here are photos of #'s 883 and 893:

http://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=File:Whatcom_Transportation_Authority_883-a.jpg

http://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=File:Whatcom_Transportation_Authority_893-a.jpg

So what I am trying to find out is if there are more buses numbered 881-882, 884-892 and 894+

Any help is appreciated.

Units 881-886 are 2010 40' Gillig LF's.

I can't find any information confirming 893 or any other units, but there was this in their 2012-2017 TDP under "Activities in 2011."

Took delivery of eight forty-foot low floor transit coaches. These coaches will be our

cleanest, as they feature an SCR exhaust treatment system that virtually eliminates

smog and asthma inducing NOX emissions.

Presumably, those are Units 887-894, 2011 Gillig 40' LF's. I know they also got a FTA grant earlier in the year for some hybrid buses (3-5, depending on the local match).

I wonder if bus #`s 707-724, 751-757, 801-805, 811-825, 847-848 are still part of the active roster for Whatcom? Anyone know? I didn't see any of those. Mind you, I was not in Bellingham very long that day.

707-724: 722, 723, 724 are still in use, all others are retired

751-757: All are still in use

801-805: All are retired

811-825: 812, 815, 817, 822, 824, 825 are still in use, all others are retired/set to be retired in 2012

847-848: In the contingency fleet

This is all from the TDP I mentioned before. There's several other changes/additions to the fleet that need to be made to the WTA wiki. I won't list them all here, but for someone who wants to edit it, that's where you'll find the info. (Link)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Someone posted a picture of one of the hybrids at The Bus Lounge page on Facebook. It's numbered 805 and was being test driven (pre-delivery).

Would you be able to see if this person would be willing to allow you to post this image over here on this board for those of us that don't use Facebook by chance please? It would be much appreciated and thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Whatcom is getting 7 new buses, they won't be hybrids. 6 are replacement buses and

"The seventh bus would enable WTA to accommodate additional runs to Kendall, and between Cordata and downtown Bellingham."

They also recently tested a BYD demo and found that the motors in it weren’t strong enough to handle the terrain around Bellingham.

Whatcom is getting 7 new buses, they won't be hybrids. 6 are replacement buses and

"The seventh bus would enable WTA to accommodate additional runs to Kendall, and between Cordata and downtown Bellingham."

They also recently tested a BYD demo and found that the motors in it weren’t strong enough to handle the terrain around Bellingham.

Interesting information about their hybrids and the motors in the BYD demo not being able to handle the terrain. Thanks for posting that.

I believe it's a BAE HybriDrive but I am not sure of the exact model or series description.

Confirmed that they're using BAE: Here's a short video from the BAE website of their general manager giving a short synopsis of the system on their new-at-the-time 2013 Gillig Advantage Hybrid:

2.5.13 The Bellingham Herald-Whatcom Transportation Authoritys new hybrid buses hit the road.pdf

2.5.13 The Bellingham Herald-Whatcom Transportation Authoritys new hybrid buses hit the road.pdf

To those of you who are so much more informed than I, why is WTA having so many problems with HybriDrive? ...is it different in character from the other agencies that are using BAE?

Side note: It caught my eye in the article that MAX BRT posted from The Bellingham Herald that they mention where The Ann Arbor Area Transportation Authority in Michigan has the highst percentage of hybrid buses in the country. However, the link they give to the APTA website give figures that are from 2013. Doesn't King County Metro have a much higher percentage of hybrids than that? Even in 2013 I would have though that KCM would be in the top three but they aren't as ATPA states the top three being 1) The Ann Arbor Area Transportation Authority in Michigan at 59%, 2) Lee County, FL – Lee County Transit at 50%, followed by 3) West Covina, CA – Foothill Transit.

What is KCM's current percentage of hybrids?

ETA: now that I think more on it, I suppose with KCM still having so many Gillig Phantoms in service, along with the D40LFs, D60HFs, and the D60LFs that maybe they're not yet to the 50% mark? ...I don't know, I still have to think that there must be at least 50% hybrids. Since this is off topic for this thread, can somebody just give me the current percentage and I'll shut up. :P

Some rough back of the napkin math here...

King County Metro has 830 hybrid buses in a fleet that as of late 2014 had 1,835 buses. That's about 45%.

I hate using percentage figures like that... Because it really doesn't tell the whole story. King County Metro has one of the largest hybrid fleets in the nation (I can't think of a agency that has more) but I would venture to guess they won't be the first agency to go 100% hybrid.

King County Metro has 199 buses with the BAE HybriDrive system (and 160 with the new HybriDrive Series-E system), but I've never heard of any major issues with them.

Some rough back of the napkin math here...

King County Metro has 830 hybrid buses in a fleet that as of late 2014 had 1,835 buses. That's about 45%.

I hate using percentage figures like that... Because it really doesn't tell the whole story. King County Metro has one of the largest hybrid fleets in the nation (I can't think of a agency that has more) but I would venture to guess they won't be the first agency to go 100% hybrid.

King County Metro has 199 buses with the BAE HybriDrive system (and 160 with the new HybriDrive Series-E system), but I've never heard of any major issues with them.

Diesels

100 D40LF

145 D60HF Roughly

30 D60LF

33 Gillig 30ft roughly

57 Gillig 40ft roughly

i say roughly because they these are being retired and the actual amount still in service in unknown

365 Diesels

Hybrids

265 DE60LF

135 DE60LFR

199 Orion VII

113 RapidRides (DE60LFAs & DE60LFRs)

60 XDE35

13 XDE40 so far

785 Hybrids

55 Bredas

100 Gilligs

155 Trolleys

1304 buses

60% Hybrid

12% Trolleys

28% Diesel

I wonder if the problems Whatcom is having might be unique to Gillig? It might have something to do with the way they've integrated Hybridrive into their buses--something that is different than the way New Flyer has done it.