Regional Transit Service - Rochester NY (R-GRTA)

3 hours ago, edison said:

RTS doing a nice job keeping the fleet diverse, considering the size of it's fleet and how many bus manufacturers that exist currently. Some of their staff were in Buffalo a couple months ago looking over a diesel LFS.

Is this different from NYC speciations

• 2 months later...

On Monday, September 3, the Regional Transit Service will implement it's schedules for the Fall season.

Much of the changes are minor in nature, with many routes returning to pre-summer season headways.

Most notable changes include, 3, 5, and 104.

Route 59 (MCC Connector) has been added, providing direct service between MCC Downtown and MCC Brighton campuses.  Services operate weekdays only, between 7:15am and 9:30pm with half-hourly service during the day, and hourly service in the early evenings.  No weekend service.

Regional Transit Services' present and new schedules can be accessed at:

--- D

• Thanks 1
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi everyone! Metro Transit in Minneapolis recently began retiring the 900-series hybrids that were canceled in 2007 because the agency ran out of money. I was going through the VINs and noticed that the VINs were out of sequence. I understand that 901 was actually delivered to Rochester. Would anyone be able to verify the VIN of 901 for me? Thank you!

Tried digging in the Wiki a bit but could only find this, no VINS:

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Rochester-Genesee_Regional_Transportation_Authority_'Gillig_Advantage'&oldid=48467#901-919

IIRC they were also rejected and sold to Metropolitan Council due to height restrictions on various routes, as the 11'6" roof height was too high to squeeze under a few 'can opener' bridges.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/23/2020 at 1:05 AM, hp2ena said:

Ex-RGRTA Gillig Hybrid 901, now Metro Transit MN 7121, was just listed for auction as a non-runner today. Auction ends 5/29. VIN: 15GGD301471077870 https://minnbid.org/Mobile/AuctionLot/31429

Ummmmm....wrong Rochester.  This is for Rochester, NY, not Minnesota.

1 minute ago, map.man (Darrin) said:

Ummmmm....wrong Rochester.  This is for Rochester, NY, not Minnesota.

N/M...got confused thinking you were speaking of the "other" Rochester, in MN

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The launch of the new system takes place 5/17. The official system map and schedules have been posted. I really like what they did with the redesign. The current routes operate at odd times and intervals throughout the day. For the most part, the new routes stick to clock-face times leaving downtown at 15/30/60 minute intervals. The new schedules themselves are clear and concise, easier to understand than the old schedules. That helps to remove a barrier of entry for new riders.

The leaders were bold enough to evolve their system from one that was stretched too thin maximizing the coverage area, into a smaller coverage area that offers direct and frequent routes to city neighborhoods, inner suburbs and major destinations. It's been proven through other cities system redesigns, that ridership will increase. I'm very interested in seeing how the new crosstown routes will perform. The on demand zones are an innovative solution in suburban areas that lost their routes.

Also, have the Nova's entered service yet? Any pics?

• Thanks 2
On 4/7/2021 at 10:52 AM, orionbuslover said:

The launch of the new system takes place 5/17. The official system map and schedules have been posted. I really like what they did with the redesign. The current routes operate at odd times and intervals throughout the day. For the most part, the new routes stick to clock-face times leaving downtown at 15/30/60 minute intervals. The new schedules themselves are clear and concise, easier to understand than the old schedules. That helps to remove a barrier of entry for new riders.

The leaders were bold enough to evolve their system from one that was stretched too thin maximizing the coverage area, into a smaller coverage area that offers direct and frequent routes to city neighborhoods, inner suburbs and major destinations. It's been proven through other cities system redesigns, that ridership will increase. I'm very interested in seeing how the new crosstown routes will perform. The on demand zones are an innovative solution in suburban areas that lost their routes.

Yeah, MJofLakeland1 has already uploaded one of the New LFS on YouTube from the other day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rochester-Genesee RTS: 2019 NOVA LFS (Diesel) #1910

This is the 2019 LFS with the ZF 14 Speed Manual Gearbox by MJofLakeland1 of Flickr. Only 2 photos he took. This unit has the new RGRTA Livery in it and MJofLakeland1 will upload it on Wikipedia, the #1 eliable source of fleet roster information. 

Rochester-Genesee RTS: 2019 NOVA LFS (Diesel) #1910

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A curious part of the redesign involves elimination of public transit service to the Monroe County Airport (ROC).

I'm curious of the local response of the service not being picked up by at least one route, though I don't know the amount of patronage over time.

I'd think that they'd have some service out there.

26 minutes ago, map.man (Darrin) said:

A curious part of the redesign involves elimination of public transit service to the Monroe County Airport (ROC).

I'm curious of the local response of the service not being picked up by at least one route, though I don't know the amount of patronage over time.

Good catch! I've followed the redesign for years through the local press. Locals definitely questioned the coverage area shrinking in size, but I don't remember any focus on the loss of airport service. I'm guessing current ridership to the airport wasn't much and a trade off had to be made.

Looking at the new system map, future route 18 could easily be extended to the airport if riders demand service.

On 4/10/2021 at 12:42 PM, map.man (Darrin) said:

No more service to the Wegmans Distribution Centers just beyond the airport either. 

11 minutes ago, RailBus63 said:

No more service to the Wegmans Distribution Centers just beyond the airport either. 

Good point out I should have mentioned too, since a number of trips service the area on a number of runs.

Almost every diversion (except school trips) seem to have gotten the axe, much like NFTA-Metro's redesign in 1993, when "streamlining" routes to only a couple variations was the de rigour of the time.

Personally, I thought that the soon to be departed system for RTS actually served the passengers better than the present Metro system.

Only nitpicky thing was all those letters and symbols to decipher in the timetables.

The real question now is...will the passengers that they have migrate to the new system if it requires a longer walk to the bus stop?

I do remember an article a while back of how bad some of the suburban stops appeared, due to lack of sidewalks and road layouts.  I can just imagine attempting to walk long distances in the shoulder of a road, especially at winter, or on a higher speed limit roadway.

2 hours ago, map.man (Darrin) said:

The real question now is...will the passengers that they have migrate to the new system if it requires a longer walk to the bus stop?

I do remember an article a while back of how bad some of the suburban stops appeared, due to lack of sidewalks and road layouts.  I can just imagine attempting to walk long distances in the shoulder of a road, especially at winter, or on a higher speed limit roadway.

I imagine some riders will have to walk longer distances. That's where RTS On Demand and the new connection hubs comes into play. I'm not aware of other systems that have offered that type of service when they cut routes. It's always unfortunate to see routes go away. But, the improvements had to be budget neutral. Without more funding, which the Upstate transit agencies have joined forces to lobby the state for, options are limited. Local governments are strapped for cash as well. Having consistent 15 min headways (which just begins to scratch the surface of what frequent transit is) on the handful of new routes that will have them is a overall good tradeoff.

4 minutes ago, orionbuslover said:

I imagine some riders will have to walk longer distances. That's where RTS On Demand and the new connection hubs comes into play. I'm not aware of other systems that have offered that type of service when they cut routes. It's always unfortunate to see routes go away. But, the improvements had to be budget neutral. Without more funding, which the Upstate transit agencies have joined forces to lobby the state for, options are limited. Local governments are strapped for cash as well. Having consistent 15 min headways (which just begins to scratch the surface of what frequent transit is) on the handful of new routes that will have them is a overall good tradeoff.

Regrettably, the Gates area isn't in the "On Demand" zone, which I was hoping would explain a switch from local transit service.

4 minutes ago, map.man (Darrin) said:

Regrettably, the Gates area isn't in the "On Demand" zone, which I was hoping would explain a switch from local transit service.

I noticed that as well when I looked again. Not being part of an on demand zone, even furthers my suspicion that ridership just didn't justify the expense.