Video Games!

Kashiwazaki

If anyone is in Niagara Falls and likes retro video games, then go the Skylon Tower. This place has a decent selection of games from 1985 up to the 2000's from both ticket and video machines. Roughly 3 quarters of the games are SEGA games. Some of these are super rare because they are the full cockpit versions including After Burner, Space Harrier and the extremly rare Galaxy Force. I have been told that there are two operational galaxy force left, with a third rumored unit somewhere in New York

But, some of the games don't work at all, or in really bad shape. I will mention a few:

Terminator 2 judgement day (1992 midway) this one's monitor is off. The machine is on, but the monitor is completly black. I am guessing that either the monitor is dead, or the conection is no longer good. I am suspecting the monitor is toast

After Burner (1988 sega) is completly off. I was really excited to play this one, but I guess I will have to wait to the summer. Interesting to note is that this one has the after burner 2 coversion on the inside, but the cabiniet is the original after burner and its in great condition on the outside.

Super Monico GP, Space Harrier, Hang On and Crazy Taxi ( 1987,  1986, 1985, 1997 sega) all have weird and various monitor problems. The cabinets are in good shape though.

The simpons (1991 konami) this is one of the worst looking arcade units I have ever seen. Who knows why this thing is still here.

There is a variety of other things to talk about, but it would take up the whole page.

I would recommend playing most, if not all the games there... except for the ticket redemption games

20190603_202233.thumb.jpg.a03dc1d48f3f873083661646faa8e533.jpg20190603_202307.thumb.jpg.8ae42081a17436774d2973c3ba608630.jpg20190603_202348.thumb.jpg.8e4710fd618a93d685a83bb88677a4eb.jpg20190603_203322.thumb.jpg.d37991bbdd211a98351d27598dad611a.jpg20190603_203309.thumb.jpg.5d476f768fd16c2bc5bb686e65cde78d.jpg20190603_204221.thumb.jpg.40cec0b740db5573ca8d5de7910d5881.jpg20190603_203234.thumb.jpg.1a87e2e734c30e16f4f65cbb9f0fe3eb.jpg

EDIT: the Street Fighter 2 cabinet was/has been removed for quite some time. I think 2016-2017 is when it was removed.

Also, the arcade does repair there games from time to time, and while some don't work or look like they used to, they still operate to a degree.

Anyway here are a few pages about the arcade

https://arcadeheroes.com/2017/03/08/skylon-tower-family-fun-center-arcade-niagara-falls-ontario-canada-updates-additions/

https://arcadeheroes.com/2016/05/04/arcade-review-history-skyquest-arcade-basement-skylon-tower-niagara-falls-ontario-canada/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2019 at 5:44 PM, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

https://cptdb.ca/uploads/monthly_2019_06/20190618_200723.jpg.c3484d9e45f43afb0995a5d19687f482.jpg

IDK why, but the NES BurgerTime port just seems a little dull compared to the ColecoVision version or even the Intellivision version. Something about the music being lower pitched (and faster), along with the darker graphics compared to the arcade and previous ports just turns me off a little bit. I've heard the controls are a bit too touchy in that version as well. I still have to try it out for myself one day to see how it really is. I'm a big BurgerTime (arcade & Coleco port) fan. :P

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Detroit Diesel 6V92TA said:

IDK why, but the NES BurgerTime port just seems a little dull compared to the ColecoVision version or even the Intellivision version. Something about the music being lower pitched (and faster), along with the darker graphics compared to the arcade and previous ports just turns me off a little bit. I've heard the controls are a bit too touchy in that version as well. I still have to try it out for myself one day to see how it really is. I'm a big BurgerTime (arcade & Coleco port) fan. :P

The NES port is really good. I actually prefer the lower pitched  music than the arcade version. I own the arcade version on the PS1, and found that the controls are pretty much the same, but as you mentioned, it is a bit touchy here and there. Considering that this was an earlier release on the Famicom back 1984, it's quite good for what it is.

I have heard good things about the Coleco port of BurgerTime. To be honest, I think the Atari version has some annoying music. But it's definitely not the worst port out there. 

2 minutes ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

The NES port is really good. I actually prefer the lower pitched  music than the arcade version. I own the arcade version on the PS1, and found that the controls are pretty much the same, but as you mentioned, it is a bit touchy here and there. Considering that this was an earlier release on the Famicom back 1984, it's quite good for what it is.

I have heard good things about the Coleco port of BurgerTime. To be honest, I think the Atari version has some annoying music. But it's definitely not the worst port out there. 

I love the higher pitched slower music, as it seems happier, then again that's probably just my picky sensitive ear kicking in again. :P I haven't played the arcade port on the PS1 yet, but maybe the control is harder to work with when using a d-pad vs. a joystick on the arcade machine or even a keyboard on MAME surprisingly. I forgot it was on the Famicom first. Most of the Namco arcade ports on the Famicom from 1984 are indeed very impressive imo, especially Dig Dug, Galaxian and Mappy.

I looooove the Coleco port, it & Gyruss are what originally made me want to get a ColecoVision. The 2600's music is actually not too bad IMO, but the homebrew Atari 7800 version of Beef Drop sounded really bad with the TIA sound chip. I never knew there was a POKEY chip version, which sounds like the Atari 5200 version of beef drop. It's not the best, but it's not half bad either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH26jpHIRDo

On 9/20/2017 at 7:22 AM, Kashiwazaki said:

Burnout 3: Takedown

Burnout: Revenge

Ratchet & Clank

Ratchet & Clank 2: Going Commando

Burnout 3 was one of my favorite games on the original XBOX back in 2005. Burnout Revenge was pretty good too. I liked the Ratchet & Clank series as well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Detroit Diesel 6V92TA said:

I love the higher pitched slower music, as it seems happier, then again that's probably just my picky sensitive ear kicking in again. :P I haven't played the arcade port on the PS1 yet, but maybe the control is harder to work with when using a d-pad vs. a joystick on the arcade machine or even a keyboard on MAME surprisingly. I forgot it was on the Famicom first. Most of the Namco arcade ports on the Famicom from 1984 are indeed very impressive imo, especially Dig Dug, Galaxian and Mappy.

I looooove the Coleco port, it & Gyruss are what originally made me want to get a ColecoVision. The 2600's music is actually not too bad IMO, but the homebrew Atari 7800 version of Beef Drop sounded really bad with the TIA sound chip. I never knew there was a POKEY chip version, which sounds like the Atari 5200 version of beef drop. It's not the best, but it's not half bad either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH26jpHIRDo

I think namco has got to be one of the best arcade game makers of all time. Its up there with Atari, Midway, Williams, Nintendo, Data East and Sega. They did a really good job of porting over the arcade games to the NES, but I think they could have used brighter colours, and maybe release some of the ports in North America like Dig Dug and Mappy.

I like the colecovision. One time, I think back in 2014, they had one up for sale with about 20 games, and the wheel and trackball at a Salavation Army. No clue how much it went for. Another time they were also selling a Famicom and the disk system, and about 10 games. All the games there were all trash or games I couldn't understand, except for Ice Hockey.

I then picked up my NES about a year later. I actually owned a clone of the Famicom, which claimed to have 760000 game on it. I could only count about 50 titles in there, as the other titles were just repeats or sprite hacks. Sadly, it stopped working in 2015, so I bought an NES to replace it. About 6 of my games were on it. I am still on the lookout for a few titles for my collection, mainly Tetris Defender 2, Star Force and Dig Dug 2.

1 hour ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

I think namco has got to be one of the best arcade game makers of all time. Its up there with Atari, Midway, Williams, Nintendo, Data East and Sega. They did a really good job of porting over the arcade games to the NES, but I think they could have used brighter colours, and maybe release some of the ports in North America like Dig Dug and Mappy.

I like the colecovision. One time, I think back in 2014, they had one up for sale with about 20 games, and the wheel and trackball at a Salavation Army. No clue how much it went for. Another time they were also selling a Famicom and the disk system, and about 10 games. All the games there were all trash or games I couldn't understand, except for Ice Hockey.

I then picked up my NES about a year later. I actually owned a clone of the Famicom, which claimed to have 760000 game on it. I could only count about 50 titles in there, as the other titles were just repeats or sprite hacks. Sadly, it stopped working in 2015, so I bought an NES to replace it. About 6 of my games were on it. I am still on the lookout for a few titles for my collection, mainly Tetris Defender 2, Star Force and Dig Dug 2.

I agree 100%. The arcade titles Namco released between 1979-1983 were almost all pure awesome. My favorite racing game of all time is Pole Position II lol. I also love playing Galaxian on the original arcade cab. The Famicom Namcot ports are really well done, but I do agree with your statement about the lack of brighter colors. The colors used in Galaxian are different from the arcade, but still intriguing. I was disappointed when I learned that most of the Famicom Namcot ports were not released to the U.S. I played the Famicom Dig Dug port on some Penguin Famiclone game console my cousin had back in 2006.

I would have went bananas had a found a ColecoVision + accessories at my Salvation Army back in the day. Wow a disk system, impressive.

I'm curious which Famiclone you had. The one I played in 2006 also had Dig Dug 2, which quickly became one of my favorites on the NES. As a kid I never even knew Dig Dug 2 existed (before 2006). Also, the Famiclone I played had Dynamite Bowl (1987). 9 years went by without knowing what the title of the game was and I never played it again. However, in 2015 I finally found videos of it on YouTube along with a Nestopia ROM; instant memories came back when I played it again. I somehow never forgot the character selection music either haha.

7 hours ago, Detroit Diesel 6V92TA said:

I agree 100%. The arcade titles Namco released between 1979-1983 were almost all pure awesome. My favitrite racing game of all time is Pole Position II lol. I also love playing Galaxian on the original arcade cab. The Famicom Namcot ports are really well done, but I do agree with your statement about the lack of brighter colors. The colors used in Galaxian are different from the arcade, but still intriguing. I was disappointed when I learned that most of the Famicom Namcot ports were not released to the U.S. I played the Famicom Dig Dug port on some Penguin Famiclone game console my cousin had back in 2006.

I would have went bananas had a found a ColecoVision + accessories at my Salvation Army back in the day. Wow a disk system, impressive.

I'm curious which Famiclone you had. The one I played in 2006 also had Dig Dug 2, which quickly became one of my favorites on the NES. As a kid I never even knew Dig Dug 2 existed (before 2006). Also, the Famiclone I played had Dynamite Bowl (1987). 9 years went by without knowing what the title of the game was and I never played it again. However, in 2015 I finally found videos of it on YouTube along with a Nestopia ROM; instant memories came back when I played it again. I somehow never forgot the character selection music either haha.

20190620_225837.thumb.jpg.2eac6a4c181cc12f6aae08f9741b3910.jpg20190620_225844.thumb.jpg.248a44d66ecb2e81f145e7872e02830a.jpg

This Is It. Lots of dust on It. It uses the N64 controller mold, player two Is a genesis controller. There was also a gun for use on duck hunt and games like that.

Interesting to note on the back, It has a famicom game port. So If you owned some famicom games, you can play them.

A good chunk of the games, are mainly Namco arcade ports and the Black box game for the NES. The black box games were the first 30 nintendo games released. Also a few other japan exclusive games that I don't know how to play. I also ditinctly remember playing Arkanoid, and actaully being good at It. I also remember playing galaga, galaxian, mappy, mario bros, super mario bros, donkey kong jr, excitebike, dig dug, dig dug 2 and a whole bunch of others. I am slowly but surely getting my collection back.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

While at the Exhibition on Friday, I came across the gaming garage exhibit. Its literally the name. Its gaming in a garage. There was a Pinball area, and they had a tournament there. The more important area was the arcade. Inside were various games from Super Breakout, to The Simpsons. I will be going over all the games that were there.

Starting with Nintendo, we have Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong 3, Punch-Out and Vs. Castlevannia. All the machines were in good shape, expect Vs. Castlevannia. The Vs. series of games were arcade versions of NES games. There were several ways to get them. There were cabinets just for the games, and there were conversion kits for the other Nintendo games. In this case, it was originally a Donkey Kong. The art around the screen (I forget what it's called) is still from Donkey Kong. The cabinet looked in rough shape, and the joysticks have been swapped. The player one controls are used for player 2, and the player 2 controls are used for player 1. I am suspecting its a wiring issue.

For Sega, We had Turbo, Pengo (not really a Sega game. It was developed by Coreland, and was published by Sega.), Frogger (also not a Sega game. This time Konami made it.) and Congo Bongo. Congo Bongo occasionally had the view of the game flipped upside-down, but other than that all looked to be in good shape.

Next up is Atari. There was Asteroids, Super Breakout, Video Pinball (not turned on) and Kangaroo (not an Atari game. It was actually a Sunsoft game). Not sure why Video Pinball wasn't on. Also here is Road Blaster, Tetris and Blasteroids. These are also Atari games, but are from after Atari was split up after the Gaming Crash of 1983.

Namco had the biggest amount of games there. 3 Pac-Mans, 2 Ms. Pac Mans, 2 Galagas (one was not turned on), Super Pac Man and Pac Man Plus (all distributed by Midway). There was a Cockpit Pole Position distributed by Atari. Also Rolling Thunder and Pac Mania distributed by Atari after it was split up.

Various other companies were also represented. Data East with Lock N' Chase ( not turned on), Mouse Trap (also not turned on), The New Ghostbusters and Exciting Hour/Mat Mania (a Technos game). Capcom with M.E.R.C.S, 1942 (converted to a 60 in 1), 1943 and Street Fighter 2.  Konami with Track and Field, Tutankham, Time Pilot (not turned on) and The Simpsons. Midway/Williams with Robotron 2084, Joust (not turned on), Wacko and Rampage. Technos with WWF Wrestle Fest. Gottlieb with Q*Bert and Finally Romstar with Sky Solider.

I have played most of these games through arcade compilations and other ports of the game on other system. Some of them I have never played including all the Data East games, Pengo, Vs. Castlevannia, Video Pinball, Blasteroids, Tutankham, WWF Wrestle Fest and Sky Solider. The only game I have never heard of or have not seen was Sky Solider.

A few photos from Friday

20190816_192336.thumb.jpg.bb6d8203e0713b93c8a1bab0e30da168.jpg

Vs. Castlevannia

20190816_174453.thumb.jpg.53b588c502c8418df37673c752315c90.jpg

Robotron 2084

20190816_174551.thumb.jpg.e48835dedf424c71ba6445c0f548cdd6.jpg

Galaga (not turned on)

20190816_174903.thumb.jpg.17adca6aa2ff6a357f3f6fa55be3d96e.jpg

Rolling Thunder

20190816_174925.thumb.jpg.7536c6850536b873f864b92d091ce88c.jpg

Pole Position (not turned on)

20190816_193148.thumb.jpg.ebeeb911650035901f6d1af199b61564.jpg

Super Pac Man

20190816_193226.thumb.jpg.bda930c163f726012b8f736e1811cb22.jpg

Pac Mania

20190816_211331.thumb.jpg.5cc9acfda57003d6e4f662a769b6c548.jpg

The extremely cool Wacko cabinet

20190816_193931.thumb.jpg.238271e9556ca986d5aba8cb7e47c035.jpg

Joust (not turned on )

20190816_205915.thumb.jpg.dc0ca32febdb29f3eaa804d02b0ccd62.jpg

Kangaroo

20190816_175004.thumb.jpg.3c2a1e2666fc31cadbe5a5107376d822.jpg

Pengo

• 5 months later...

Bump

Another console has come to the collection. Well it’s not really a console but a mini one. The SEGA Genesis mini just arrived about an hour ago. Testing it shows that it’s a very high quality system as one would expect since SEGA did it them selves. I do have one complain which is why they decided to include a three button Genesis controllers instead of  six button controllers. I can understand they are trying to make it as original as possible, but this makes certain games much harder to play. Also some of the game choices are questionable, but it’s overall a good system and is well worth the price.

• 3 months later...

Bump.

I don't have an interest in video games except for the original Super Nintendo and GameCube. But since I am home because of the Covid-19 Crisis, I picked the GameCube up more frequently than I did in the past 10 years. I bought "Spyro, A Hero's Tail" around 2006 at Costco when I around 8 Years old. Nearly 14 Years later, I finally completed the game. It took around 17 Hours over the course of a week. It feels weird yet satisfying to finally finish a video game that I was determined to complete since I was a kid. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I recently acquired a system I have been looking for a while now, the Sega Master System.

D80D95C3-5F52-4E0E-986E-ABDF864C24F0.thumb.jpeg.68f8f255533e81e86757b2c608000b42.jpeg

I got 2 controllers, a regular controller pad, and the light gun. The light gun looks very much like a real gun. Something like this would never pass in today’s standards.

3AC2D6E6-A7E9-4BFB-9656-E6E4ED96E6BD.thumb.jpeg.0bdd31793865d36a7982999c199e0429.jpeg

I also got 4 games including Hang-On/Safari Hunt, Shinobi, Double Dragon and one of my favourite games of all time, Space Harrier. Surprisingly, all of the games came in the case and all had manuals. I really like the way the covers for the games look. The condition for some of the items weren’t too good. Everything was covered in a layer of dirt and dust, so I had to clean everything before trying it out. The manual for Shinobi has definitely taken on some sort of liquid, and is in a brittle state, but I don’t read the manuals. There is also a nice crack in the case for Space Harrier, and some label on the cartridge for Double Dragon. The main controller I have for this system is having some issues with Button 2, so I am taking it back in for a trade to get a new one.

The person that was working at my game store was very nice, and gave me discounts on some of the items due to the poor condition. I really love this system, it has a lot of good games, and most of the titles complete in the box are cheap compared to something like the NES, as the system didn’t due to well in North America. But some of the later titles can be a bit pricy.

9B87EF4D-1D3D-4B5C-99BA-8631B3F54B7D.thumb.jpeg.e0580386b5a0746cf8724efa5065402c.jpeg

I had another console enter my collection!

This one is a limited edition blue Wii (it's really hard to find here in Canada, it's slightly more common in the US, Europe, and Australia). I really like the colour, but it's a shame that Nintendo took out the GameCube ports and compatibility on the blue Wiis, as well as the revised black and white ones. :( Oh well, I have another Wii I could use so not a big deal.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 11:00 PM, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

They literally have a PS2 built into them (both PS2 CPU and GPU combined onto one chip), as well as four USB ports, Compact Flash slot, SD card slot, native PSP memory card port, as well as Super Audio CD support. They took every one of these out with the introduction of the slim models.

They were actually removed all that with a revised phat model (version 2) which came out a few years later to ratify some issues and remove all those extra goodies. Slim removed the touch buttons found on the phat (V1. and 2.) model, while the super slim "latest model" was just to cut cost and make it look sleek. 

On 7/19/2020 at 11:20 PM, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

but it's a shame that Nintendo took out the GameCube ports and compatibility on the blue Wii

That was probably done just to annoy jailbreakers from exploiting the old chipset using homebrew. Nevermind it cuts cost for supporting an ancient console.

The topic of video games. Here are a few takeaways.

2K Games is increasing the price of 2K21 for the Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 to $89.99 which is a $10 increase from $79.99. The old price is retained for the Xbox One and Playstation 4 version. Ubisoft is maintaining the $79.99 price point for next-generation consoles to try and not risk losing sales despite the cost of game development being pretty high. Having to cover the costs somewhere either through a price increase or microtransactions (purchase in-game items with real life money).

Xbox Game Showcase was yesterday. With Halo Infinite and Forza Motorsport being one of the games announced. Good thing for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate only paying for the subscription fee versus having to pay for two separate games. Microsoft is relying on people paying the premium package especially Xbox Live Gold 12 month discontinued through Microsoft. Retailers, you can still purchase a 12 month I am pretty sure via physical card.

It is always nice to have some entertainment. Especially what games can deliver and be beneficial during quarantine/lockdown. More of an Xbox person because of the ecosystem and investment put in. Not as much in Nintendo Switch or Playstation despite seeing the exclusives on both platforms. 

On 7/24/2020 at 3:05 AM, Loud-Invero said:

They were actually removed all that with a revised phat model (version 2) which came out a few years later to ratify some issues and remove all those extra goodies. Slim removed the touch buttons found on the phat (V1. and 2.) model, while the super slim "latest model" was just to cut cost and make it look sleek. 

That was probably done just to annoy jailbreakers from exploiting the old chipset using homebrew. Nevermind it cuts cost for supporting an ancient console.

True... I forgot about that revised model. The first run PS3s are hard to come by in perfectly working condition. I actually found mine in a Value Village for $10 and it was working perfectly.

The Wii, regardless of model (except for the Wii mini), is extremely easy to hack with homebrew. 

Fun fact: Wiis without GameCube ports actually DO have the hardware inside them to play GameCube games (the motherboard was literally unchanged, Nintendo even left solder pads on for the ports haha) but Nintendo simply cheaped out by changing the disc drive and removing the ports. The software to play GameCube games and delete/copy/transfer memory card saves was even left in but it's unaccessible.

• 2 months later...

Microsoft just released a new update for iOS/iPadOS (iPhone and iPad) where you can play Xbox One games remotely on a mobile device. Just have to make sure the console is on to connect between the two devices. I know Android has the full access of Xbox Game Pass via the cloud without needing a console for access.

I like the experience so far considering that I have heard of people who have been playing on their celluar connection while at work. The downside is ensuring there is enough network speed in both download and upload to ensure it works effectively. Especially when it is either cable or DSL (digital subscriber line) to get internet service. My preference is DSL because the bandwidth isn't shared at the trade off of limited download and upload speed.

Other than that, I do like portability of gaming on the go. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

My favorite was PS2. Remember playing wrestling there...it was amazing

And yeah, playing Xbox One games remotely on the go sounds like a game-changer. It's cool how Android users get the full Xbox Game Pass experience via the cloud too.

Totally get you on the network speed struggle, especially with DSL. The balance between portability and speed can be a challenge. But hey, have you ever thought about using this setup to play games to win money? Imagine gaming on the go and scoring some extra cash!

• Thanks 1