The Compass Project

323 Surrey Ctrl Stn

I get why the City of North Vancouver would want the seabus to be part of the "one zone", but it's expensive to operate and it's rapid transit which is more convenient. People seem to want more, but they don't want to pay extra for it.

As for skytrain from Surrey, I don't think they would need to make the trip to Vancouver 2 zones to make it fair as there are alternatives to make it only 2 zones, i.e. the 301 and 340 if people are willing to go a little out of the way. However, I do believe they could make a one zone fare for trips on skytrain from Surrey to Columbia, New Westminster, Sapperton, Braid and Lougheed as there is no other easier alternative to get to those unless you can get to Carvolth or Hwy 1 @ 156st easily.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

I get why the City of North Vancouver would want the seabus to be part of the "one zone", but it's expensive to operate and it's rapid transit which is more convenient. People seem to want more, but they don't want to pay extra for it.

As for skytrain from Surrey, I don't think they would need to make the trip to Vancouver 2 zones to make it fair as there are alternatives to make it only 2 zones, i.e. the 301 and 340 if people are willing to go a little out of the way. However, I do believe they could make a one zone fare for trips on skytrain from Surrey to Columbia, New Westminster, Sapperton, Braid and Lougheed as there is no other easier alternative to get to those unless you can get to Carvolth or Hwy 1 @ 156st easily.

Presently, a bus from Carvolth to Lougheed then SkyTrain to Waterfront is only 2 zones. SkyTrain alone from King George to Waterfront is 3 zones.

This 1-zone bus thing is definitely causing some weird imbalances in fare/distance distribution.

Maybe they could make the Lonsdale SeaBus terminal Zone 1, and collect the Zone 2 fare when you transfer to a North Van bus, or vice versa if you're going to Waterfront. That's something like what Toronto did in the 1960s/early 70s when TTC had the 2-zone system within then-Metro: The entire subway was in zone 1, even though 5 stations on the Bloor-Danforth line were physically located in zone 2, and 2 others were right on the border. Zone fares were collected when you transferred from the subway to a zone 2 bus, or vice versa.

Maybe they could stop screwing people for poor panning and preparation on their part and charge everyone the same fares for the same level of service.

I'm generally quick to defend Translink but for some reason beyond me, they're getting a free pass on this gong show in the media, relatively speaking.

I won't actually do this, but I'm so tempted to ride across zones on SkyTrain with a one zone transfer from a bus just to challenge the current fare structure in court. I highly doubt it would pass the reasonableness test.

There's no court fee for transit tickets.

I'm outraged at a slap stick solution to a self imposed problem.

And since my initial post I've been informed that ticketing has been "modified" to account for concerns of clarity.

Maybe they could stop screwing people for poor panning and preparation on their part and charge everyone the same fares for the same level of service.

I'm generally quick to defend Translink but for some reason beyond me, they're getting a free pass on this gong show in the media, relatively speaking.

I won't actually do this, but I'm so tempted to ride across zones on SkyTrain with a one zone transfer from a bus just to challenge the current fare structure in court. I highly doubt it would pass the reasonableness test.

I can't speak to the legal concerns, but the single-zone bus concept has been implemented in a few other cities without issue. I expect TransLink looked at those models before implementation.

Additionally, this is an issue concerning the speed (or lack thereof) of cellular networks in Vancouver. They had a choice to either:

1) wait for cell networks to be upgraded to make for a better processing time on the units; or

2) eliminate the need to tap-out on buses.

I can't speak to the legal concerns, but the single-zone bus concept has been implemented in a few other cities without issue. I expect TransLink looked at those models before implementation.

Additionally, this is an issue concerning the speed (or lack thereof) of cellular networks in Vancouver. They had a choice to either:

1) wait for cell networks to be upgraded to make for a better processing time on the units; or

2) eliminate the need to tap-out on buses.

The speed issues on buses are no longer a problem from what I've heard and experienced. Tap in/off on the bus has been reliable and fast since sometime in the spring.

As far as I can tell this change is solely because some people complained that it was too much effort to remember to tap off when exiting the bus.

The speed issues on buses are no longer a problem from what I've heard and experienced. Tap in/off on the bus has been reliable and fast since sometime in the spring.

As far as I can tell this change is solely because some people complained that it was too much effort to remember to tap off when exiting the bus.

For me the issue would not be the effort to remember to tap off, but the whole getting the pass out to exit. Most often I am carting around a heavy swim equipment bag and once I board, I like to put my wallet back in my bag right away. Putting my wallet away in my bag ensures that I am not going to set it down or have it torn from my grasp by someone looking for a crime of opportunity. Having to take my wallet out when exiting means that after alighting I have to set my bag (maybe bags if I've got groceries) down on the ground to put my wallet away again.

The timeline of events was that TELUS had previously agreed to TransLink sometime last year that a 0.3 second process time would be feasible and sufficient, from the 1 second it was at last spring. TELUS was only able to deliver a 0.5 second process time as of this August, and TL's own modeling showed that this would cause a reasonable to significant delay on busier routes such as the 99, so they had to go hunting for a solution.

• 3 weeks later...

In regards to the Compass project, I just discovered a really weird fluke in the system.

I often 'try' to tap other systems' smartcards into one-anothers' faregates/tap stations to see if anything happens. With all of them none of them have done anything other than say: "Stop - see attendant" or "Invalid Card"; Today was different though.

This afternoon I disembarked from a United flight from Chicago ORD Airport, with my VENTRA card I acquired two years ago. Out of sincere boredom to kill a few minutes I tapped the card on the faregate at YVR Airport - the result made me think I was dreaming: "Proceed"

Trying to tap out at the same station yielded the same old "Stop - See Attendant" message, but tapping out at Bridgeport revealed a green "Proceed" again. By then I was thinking this is really, really weird - though not totally unexplainable since VENTRA and Compass are 'sister' systems. Then I tapped in with it on the 620 to the Tsawwassen ferry - again a green "Proceed".

I just checked my VENTRA balance, and the tap ins have not registered or taken any of the $5US remaining on the card.

I'm thinking of returning to Vancouver in a few days to do this again and get video evidence. It's not supposed to happen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...