Jump to content
Stalwart23

MARTA (Atlanta)

Recommended Posts

On 3/27/2017 at 2:45 PM, edison said:

I would guess you are right about the price. By mid-size, do you mean 30ft or 35ft? The 29' model has some differences compared to the 35ft and 40ft Low Floors. But Vicinity is a few inches narrower than a Gillig I believe. 

I consider any buses from 27.5 to 35 foot to be 'mid-size'. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marta has a bunch of buses listed for scrap on PublicSurplus.com

Lot 1 includes: 2163, 2431, 2436, 2442, 2444, 2445, 2447, 2448, 2449, 2450, 2456

https://publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=2198854

Lot 2 includes: 2137, 2429, 2435, 2438, 2439, 2443, 2446, 2455, 2458, 2461, 2462

https://publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=2198860

Lot 3 includes: 2191, 2192, 2393, 2411, 2414, 2430, 2457, 2459, 2463, 2465

https://publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=2200010

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2018 at 9:31 PM, Chris.A said:

Why are they retiring the 2007 C40LFs so soon?!?

I assume because they are CNG and they likely don't want to retank buses. I know there are still a few Orion Diesel buses hanging around and quite a few of the older Diesel New Flyers are still in service. From a longevity standpoint, CNG buses are much cleaner, but don't last nearly as long as a diesel bus will. But that all depends on maintenance and how much money the Owner plans to invest in keeping buses on the road longer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, alexb320 said:

I assume because they are CNG and they likely don't want to retank buses. I know there are still a few Orion Diesel buses hanging around and quite a few of the older Diesel New Flyers are still in service. From a longevity standpoint, CNG buses are much cleaner, but don't last nearly as long as a diesel bus will. But that all depends on maintenance and how much money the Owner plans to invest in keeping buses on the road longer. 

Those 2400 series buses should have 15 year tanks IIRC. So, they should not need to be retired until atleast 2022 or so. BTW, What happens if you do not retank a CNG bus and still keep it in service? Is it dangerous?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marta auctioned the following buses off this past week as scrap:

2122, 2194, 2203, 2205, 2207, 2212, 2308, 2309, 2332, 2341, 2378, 2384, 2392, 2407, 2418, 2423, 2424, 2427, 2432, 2437, 2452, & 2454

I also noted while looking at the auction pictures, there seemed to be a handful of 2010 New Flyer C40LFR buses retired. Only two I could make out for sure were 2506 & 2542, but there were a couple others with the numbers painted over. It seems weird they would retire buses only 9 years old. But I assume the large order of new Gilligs are able to replace the worst of the C40LFRs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2019 at 10:10 PM, alexb320 said:

Marta auctioned the following buses off this past week as scrap:

2122, 2194, 2203, 2205, 2207, 2212, 2308, 2309, 2332, 2341, 2378, 2384, 2392, 2407, 2418, 2423, 2424, 2427, 2432, 2437, 2452, & 2454

I also noted while looking at the auction pictures, there seemed to be a handful of 2010 New Flyer C40LFR buses retired. Only two I could make out for sure were 2506 & 2542, but there were a couple others with the numbers painted over. It seems weird they would retire buses only 9 years old. But I assume the large order of new Gilligs are able to replace the worst of the C40LFRs.

The 2009 C40LFRs are going already!?! Man, what is MARTA's retirement cycle, cause they just keep wasting buses. Reminds me of Orlando's Linx! Not even fully 10 year old yet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2019 at 10:12 PM, Chris.A said:

The 2009 C40LFRs are going already!?! Man, what is MARTA's retirement cycle, cause they just keep wasting buses. Reminds me of Orlando's Linx! Not even fully 10 year old yet!

IIRC from the MBS visit there were a few C40LFR that had been involved in accidents, they may have decided to scrap vs. risk the tanks leaking. Otherwise I don't know how much mileage MARTA piles on their buses, but it could be they get 500,000 easily and can retire early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2019 at 11:12 PM, Chris.A said:

The 2009 C40LFRs are going already!?! Man, what is MARTA's retirement cycle, cause they just keep wasting buses. Reminds me of Orlando's Linx! Not even fully 10 year old yet!

 

On 9/1/2019 at 2:07 PM, MVTArider said:

IIRC from the MBS visit there were a few C40LFR that had been involved in accidents, they may have decided to scrap vs. risk the tanks leaking. Otherwise I don't know how much mileage MARTA piles on their buses, but it could be they get 500,000 easily and can retire early.

It seems like Marta has been retiring buses fairly early over the past few years, but who knows what the real reason is. Some of the 2007 C40LF buses had started getting retired in 2017.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...