Spruce Grove Transit

DavidW

There will be 3 Spruce Grove XD's out of Mitchell. The way things were worded before, the Spruce Grove buses will be used on the 562. However, I suspect they could turn up on any Spruce Grove route. Apparently the other 3 XD's will be here in the next few months at which point most Spruce Grove runs would be with their own buses.

• 2 weeks later...

First day of expected use of Spruce Grove's buses and it's been interesting...

6901 and 6902 came out for the morning 562's, pretty much as I expected. The 560 and 561 had their usual assortment of regular ETS highway equipped buses.

This afternoon though, it was all ETS buses on all Spruce Grove runs. I did see a Spruce Grove XD moving around inside of Mitchell about the time the 562 should have been pulling out, but, instead 4822 ended up on the run.

Since I've actually been studying the Spruce Grove schedule the last day... It's worth noting that with the 3 routes now, Spruce Grove needs 7 buses (3 560, 3 560/561, 2 562). I believe currently they only plan to have the 6 40' buses.

6901, first 562 into Edmonton at South Campus this morning.

sgt6901-DSC09935.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Big leap for Spruce Grove this coming September.

Local service starts with the 568 from 8:30-15:30.

Connecting with peak hour commuter buses are free shuttles 566 and 567 that cover areas that sort of fall out of the range of the regular commuter bus routes.

560 gains midday hourly service (up from 2 hours).

562 is cut back to  WEM, but, gets 2 extra AM and PM trips, plus, provides hourly service until about 22:00 commencing with the PM peak (so no midday service).

Essentially Spruce Grove now has commuter service to and from Edmonton all day between the midday 560's and evening 562's.

One Arboc is #6931, so presumably the first 3 are 6931-6933.

PWT is the contractor for the local buses.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2019 at 9:23 PM, M. Parsons said:

Big leap for Spruce Grove this coming September.

Local service starts with the 568 from 8:30-15:30.

Connecting with peak hour commuter buses are free shuttles 566 and 567 that cover areas that sort of fall out of the range of the regular commuter bus routes.

560 gains midday hourly service (up from 2 hours).

562 is cut back to  WEM, but, gets 2 extra AM and PM trips, plus, provides hourly service until about 22:00 commencing with the PM peak (so no midday service).

Essentially Spruce Grove now has commuter service to and from Edmonton all day between the midday 560's and evening 562's.

One Arboc is #6931, so presumably the first 3 are 6931-6933.

PWT is the contractor for the local buses.  

Reading the maps hurt my head, a little... but definitely glad to know that Acheson has at least two bus routes to it. Definitely gives me some options, for work.

• 1 year later...

Spruce Grove should have taken delivery of a Arboc in the October-November 2020 timeframe. Presumably #6934. Consider it speculation and nothing more until it can be confirmed.

Unfortunately, with the 566 and 567 suspended due to Covid, and the 568 needing just 1 bus, it would be a crap shoot to try to track down 1 out of 4 buses. Local service expansion was also defered from September 2020 to September 2021. 

2021 is supposed to still see a route to Parkland Village and a route to Stony Plain commence operation.  

• 3 months later...

I'm going to toss this in here vs starting a new topic as I'm pretty sure it's operated by Spruce Grove anyways.

Was out in Stony Plain foaming trains tonight and happened to catch this unit.  6972 License plate is E-35546 for those keeping score.

AWS_3602.jpg

AWS_3599.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Articulated said:

Question... is ETS still operating the Spruce Grove commuter routes (560/561)? Or has PWT taken over operation, similar to Beaumont Transit, since PWT already operates the local On-Demand and Stony Plain services?

Who dreamt up that steaming pile of a rumor? 

I heard someone had some false information on Facebook.

Anyways, no, still ETS operated, including into next signup starting on Sunday.

On 8/27/2021 at 8:43 PM, M. Parsons said:

Who dreamt up that steaming pile of a rumor? 

I heard someone had some false information on Facebook.

Anyways, no, still ETS operated, including into next signup starting on Sunday.

PWT is operating Spruce Grove's on-demand service.

• 1 year later...

Stopped by Heritage Park in Stony Plain on my way out of Edmonton back in July to photograph the Stony Plain Transit service. 6971 was the vehicle on it.

52414867206_4918c32760.jpg52415310600_a67555e862.jpg

The transit "terminal" at Heritage Park, the western terminus of route 565, is rather basic; it's an unpaved (gravel) parking lot, but they did improve it by adding a concrete pad with a generously-sized bus shelter. The bus stop flag is typical old ETS style.

52415310605_fe495e3d92_n.jpg52415379943_04d261463f_n.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • Board Admin

Local transit across the Tri-Municipal region is going on-demand. Beginning January 3, 2023, Stony Plain Transit will integrate with Spruce Grove’s on-demand local transit service and Acheson Transit to establish a single, on-demand local transit system.

The integrated system will create more flexibility in local transit services and allow users to book rides on-demand in and around Stony Plain, Spruce Grove, Acheson, and Parkland Village through a single booking platform. Pick-up and drop-off locations are pre-determined, with riders matched to the most convenient location during the booking process. Local buses travelling within Stony Plain and Acheson will no longer follow a fixed schedule and route, and buses will not pick up riders without a booking.

“Integrating our transit services creates greater flexibility and improves convenience for riders throughout the Tri-Municipal region. For Stony Plain, this shift will improve accessibility by expanding the amount of pick-up and drop-off locations available across neighbourhoods. We are excited to work with our partners to meet the needs of our growing communities,” says Town of Stony Plain Mayor William Choy.

“For Spruce Grove Transit users, this is a welcome enhancement as the on-demand local transit service area has now expanded to include Stony Plain, Parkland Village and Acheson. This is a great example of the benefits of regional cooperation and will allow riders throughout the Tri-Municipal region to enjoy services and amenities in their neighbouring communities with ease,” says Spruce Grove Mayor Jeff Acker.

“Bringing on-demand transit to Parkland County and the Tri-Region will link our communities together. By expanding the network, we can further community and business connections, and we look forward to welcoming new riders as we expand the existing Acheson bus service into Parkland Village with our transit partners,” says Parkland County Mayor Allan Gamble.

On-demand local transit services within Stony Plain and Spruce Grove will operate from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. Acheson and Parkland Village will continue to operate from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. The on-demand service applies to local transit only and does not apply to the Edmonton commuter route from Spruce Grove.

Local rides can be scheduled through the Pick-Up On-Demand mobile app (available in the Google and Apple stores), online, or by calling 780-962-8747. Passengers can use their Arc card on both the local and commuter service to experience the best fare possible through regional price caps.

Visit the Stony Plain website for more information about the on-demand local transit system.

https://www.stonyplain.com/en/news/stony-plain-transit-shifts-to-tri-region-on-demand-service.aspx