DavidW

Spruce Grove regional transit servce

32 posts in this topic

Interesting article about Spruce Grove renewing its operating contract with Edmonton Transit. The article says, in part,

Bus service is currently running at capacity with over 87,000 trips over 2011. Approximately 350 riders per month utilize the service. An estimated 40 per cent are university students and 35 per cent are non-resident users.

The article, looking for the sensational angle I suppose, plays up the percentage of users from outside the City of Spruce Grove.

Link to the article:

The Grove Examiner (17 August 2012).

I think they do have something of a point in that Stony Plain and Parkland County residents are probably benefiting without their respective municipalities contributing financially. Still, it's good to see a service well used.

87,000 trips, with 350 riders a month? I'm very confused, to be honest.

87,000 trips, with 350 riders a month? I'm very confused, to be honest.

87,000 per year / 52 weeks = 1673 per week. 1673 per week / 5 days = 335 per day. Considering rounding, low-ridership weeks (like Christmas time), and perhaps a growth trend over time... maybe these days there are about 350 riders per day.

While on the topic, I drive through Stoney Plain and Spruce Grove every time I go to Edmonton to get to my reserve, and over the years I've noticed quite significant changes in terms of the rapid growth Stoney Plain, but more of Spruce grove has had. They are inching ever so slightly closer to each other which made me think what if both Stoney Plain and Spruce Grove had their own transit system? A set of 2 or 3 local routes (A main connector route and one local route within each Spruce Grove and Stoney Plain) connecting the large towns and 2 or 3 more commuter type routes to/from Edmonton (to WEM, U of A and Downtown?), much like St. Albert or Strathcona. It's a large project and I'm pretty sure the topic has come up a few times, but I seriously think both areas deserve a transit system now.

87,000 per year / 52 weeks = 1673 per week. 1673 per week / 5 days = 335 per day. Considering rounding, low-ridership weeks (like Christmas time), and perhaps a growth trend over time... maybe these days there are about 350 riders per day.

Bus service is currently running at capacity with over 87,000 trips over 2011. Approximately 350 riders per month utilize the service. An estimated 40 per cent are university students and 35 per cent are non-resident users.

They must have made a typo. I was confused when I first read that, but thanks for clearing it up David! :P

Thats alot of ridership for only one day! Wonder what the frequency is...

Some poputation numbers (2011 Census):

City of Spruce Grove: 26,171 (was 19,541 in 2006, a 33.9% increase in 5 years)

Town of Stony Plain: 15,051 (was 12,363 in 2006, a 21.7% increase in 5 years)

The County of Parkland has a population of 30,568 but Stats Canada doesn't help figure out how many of them would be in the vicinity of Spruce Grove. The sum of just Spruce Grove and Stony Plain combined, 41,222, would, I think, be enough to support a local transit service. Many Canadian communities do it with less.

Some poputation numbers (2011 Census):

City of Spruce Grove: 26,171 (was 19,541 in 2006, a 33.9% increase in 5 years)

Town of Stony Plain: 15,051 (was 12,363 in 2006, a 21.7% increase in 5 years)

The County of Parkland has a population of 30,568 but Stats Canada doesn't help figure out how many of them would be in the vicinity of Spruce Grove. The sum of just Spruce Grove and Stony Plain combined, 41,222, would, I think, be enough to support a local transit service. Many Canadian communities do it with less.

https://maps.google....028932,0.084543 - yep, I created a map for this. A few months ago though, with a few slight changes. I'd re-edit it with the updated information, but I'm currently working on a late-night Winnipeg Transit map which I'll post in an hour or two on the home section. :)

Route 197 is being altered in Edmonton. Simpler routing through Downtown, and no longer serving the University.

That was likely a planned cut once NLRT was running.

Certainly for University students it would probably be quicker to catch a train from Kingsway than to ride the bus as it loops through Downtown.

City approves three-year corporate plan
By Karen Haynes, Spruce Grove Examiner/Stony Plain Reporter
Tuesday, December 2, 2014 2:07:14 MST PM

[...]

Getting you from A to B

Long-term transportation planning discussed as council approved a GreenTRIP grant application for $7.7 million be submitted to Alberta Transportation. If granted, the city would be committed to supporting transit service for the next 10 years.

Administration presented a multi-year transit plan that would see additional route options implemented, a Spruce Grove Express bus, destinations to the South Campus LRT station and West Edmonton Mall and eventual service through Acheson.

The plans include the construction of a Park and Ride facility for 2020 and 2021, which may allow the City to recoup a portion of revenue through paid parking stalls. Additionally, the plan outlines the purchasing of six high-efficiency buses and the construction of bus storage facilities as well as bus shelters.

According to the presentation, if GreenTRIP funding is approved, the city expects the transportation service to result in an operating deficit of $2.5 million, with a cost recovery of 30.2 per cent, by 2024. Ridership at this time is expected to total 200,000 people per year.

There will be commuter buses too so ETS will probably be finished with Spruce Grove

There will be commuter buses too so ETS will probably be finished with Spruce Grove

Not in the least. At this point, ETS will be operating those buses until the 2019-2020 time frame.

The plans as of 2014 are for 3 buses in 2016 for the 562 to WEM/South Campus. Buses would be maintained and operated by ETS. Part of the problem is the that ETS doesn't have the buses to spare (apparently) for extra service for Spruce Grove.

2017 would be 3 more buses for service growth for the 560 and 562.

2018 status quo, except evening 562 service

2019 562 Saturday service every hour to WEM, 2 cutaways for local routes, new garage, start operating in house.

2020 2 cutaways, Stony Plain service, and park and ride built.

Just because the funding is there, it doesn't mean 10 buses are coming in one shot.

It's interesting that the plan includes Stony Plain. My general impression has been that Stony Plain was quite pleased that Spruce Grove was paying the cost of transit all by itself. I wonder if SG has a commitment from SP, or just a hope...

Parkland County council approves 2016 budget
By Crystal St.Pierre, Spruce Grove Examiner/Stony Plain Reporter
Friday, December 11, 2015 2:50:44 MST PM

During its meeting on Dec. 8, [Parkland County] council approved first, second and third reading of a proposed public transportation utility bylaw and approved a partnership which would extend the current transit service offered from Spruce Grove to Edmonton to include Acheson Industrial Park.

What the hell bus is that lmao

Looks like a Alexander Dennis bus to me....

It looks like a photoshop of a concept of what Spruce Grove livery would be, using a generic bus image.

The commuter transit service between Spruce Grove and Edmonton began servicing the Acheson industrial park in Parkland County 25 April 2016.  Buses previously deadheading to Spruce Grove to begin inbound morning service now stop for passengers at NAIT and Westmount Transit Centres enroute to Acheson and then Spruce Grove.

Bus+Route.jpg

PM service is provided similarly, by buses previously terminating in Spruce Grove providing service back via Acheson to Westmount and NAIT.

Parkland County's transit web page is here.

Ilive in the Charleswood area of Winnipeg and saw this New Flyer sitting at the end of my road yesterday . Not sure but I think someone who does delivery for Flyer lives on my street as we have seen another bus this year also . Thought you might enjoy ........

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

5 people like this

Awesome, thanks for sharing that photo!

1 person likes this

That's awesome!