CATA (Centre Area Transportation Authority); Discussion, Sightings, News, etc

septa105R5/seClip9

CATA is a transit service serving state college area as well as PENN State University. Many of the service travels through the campus and downtown area. Its fleet includes older New Flyer C35LF and C40LF, new New Flyer Xcelsior XN40, and Eldorado EZ Rider II. They used to have Orion V CNG, their first CNG powered bus on the fleet which have been retired recently.

Here's the video of their new New Flyer Xcelsior XN40 which are CATA's 1st brand new and New Flyer's 1st produced bus in the State of PA.

Seriously, do you have to post the same topic 8 times in a span of two minutes?

Seriously, do you have to post the same topic 8 times in a span of two minutes?

I have no intention on trying to make this same topic with multiple topics there. My mouse was malfunctioned (Each time I click once, it responded with multiple click). I was trying get rid of the 7 previous duplicate topic.

I apologized for that because of my system's malfunctioned. Sorry about that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

According to the catalog link here (a transitfan from PTV provided the source), CAT will be getting 2 additional New Flyer XN40 this year. In addition, CATA also plan to aqcuire 5 cutaway CNG buses for light ridership routes.

http://myemail.const...aid=s7zlUw-mnhA

Natural Gas Vehicles. In the coming year CATA will be acquiring a variety of new compressed natural gas (CNG) vehicles. In March we will take delivery of two additional full-size buses, identical to the 28 we had received in 2012. Later in the year we'll be acquiring five body-on-chassis minibuses, which will be used on commuter routes with lower ridership, and will enable CATA to redeploy its larger buses on busier routes. In 2014 we also plan to replace some of our aging "driver relief" vehicles with CNG-powered sedans.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe someone here can help. ATA bus 751 a 1 door Gillig Phantom Suburban along with an unknown number were parked at MTB in Milton, ON Canada. Were they retired or are they going for refurbishment/body work. I'll post pics when I can!

Maybe someone here can help. ATA bus 751 a 1 door Gillig Phantom Suburban along with an unknown number were parked at MTB in Milton, ON Canada. Were they retired or are they going for refurbishment/body work. I'll post pics when I can!

Most likely retired, since ATA recently purchsed Gillig BRT 30 ft low floors with a Cummins ISL/Voith powertrain.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Back in July of 2014, I have kept an eye on a particular project of what some had thought that two suburban Gillig Phantoms #751 & 752. I had just seen that so far 752 has been fully rebuilt and is the current new paint scheme. Attached are two photos from before and after. I still dont have info on the years

14563899934_157d6557c8_b.jpg15255109299_00ba709a49_b.jpg

Back in July of 2014, I have kept an eye on a particular project of what some had thought that two suburban Gillig Phantoms #751 & 752. I had just seen that so far 752 has been fully rebuilt and is the current new paint scheme. Attached are two photos from before and after. I still dont have info on the years

attachicon.gif14563899934_157d6557c8_b.jpgattachicon.gif15255109299_00ba709a49_b.jpg

This looks more like Area Transit Authority of North Central Pennsylvania than CATA....

This looks more like Area Transit Authority of North Central Pennsylvania than CATA....

It is, in fact, ATA of North Central Pa., not Centre Area TA. However, ATA is the transit operator which borders CATA to the west, and ATA operates a commuter route from their territory into State College (Penn State/CATA's territory).

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

CATA Bus's official Facebook page has announced tomorrow it will retire its last Orion V CNG, the iconic bus that started the new era for a 100% CNG fleet. There will be celebration and more.

http://www.masstransitmag.com/press_release/12077826/cata-celebrates-the-retirement-of-its-first-cng-powered-buses

On May 29, the last of the first Orion buses will be retired. CATA will celebrate the milestone from 1 p.m. – 3:00 p.m., at its customer service center. All are invited to take one last look at CATA’s iconic Orion buses on display next to one of its newest New Flyer Xcelsior buses. Plus, there will be a live remote with WOWY 97.1FM, giveaways, snacks and more

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Meanwhile at Happy Valley/State College yesterday during lunch break, manage to do a quick transitfanning of Cata buses there. Unfortunately in addition to Saturday Schedule, service was further reduces with no loop and link schedule as Penn State was on Spring Break at that time. Seen here are New Flyer XN40 and New Flyer C35LF on that date. I only saw the Xcelsior XN40 at that time with the C35LF operating on low ridership route. The C40LF is likely parked for the weekend. Not sure if some of the C40LF and/or C35LF have been replaced lately from the 12 2014 New Flyer XN40's arrival in 2014. (1st 2 arrived in spring 2014 and remaining 10 arrived some time in late 2014). They were purchased in August 2013 and June 2014 with grants from both State (including penn dot) and FTA's clean fuel act).

One interesting note in my recent trip is that the Xcelsior is now wrapped with those cool advertisement wraps in my 1st time seeing it.