Miami-Dade Transit Discussion

M.Wright

• 3 weeks later...

While looking around, I discovered this roster showing various buses from MDT's past.

http://www.oocities.org/~buslist/MDTA/Miami_DadeTA.html

Included here are buses that MDT bought from TTC, SCRTD, Louisville, Cleveland and MARTA. Most are GMCs, but some Flxibles from MARTA were bought. Most of these used buses didn't last long, due to MetroRail and Metromover opening during the mid 1980s.

Plus most of these buses were already over 20+ years old. This is probably why MDT didn't replace most of their GMC Fishbowls with new buses. If any of these used buses made it after 1984, 1987 is likely when they retired, when the Flxibles arrived.

While looking around, I discovered this roster showing various buses from MDT's past.

http://www.oocities.org/~buslist/MDTA/Miami_DadeTA.html

Included here are buses that MDT bought from TTC, SCRTD, Louisville, Cleveland and MARTA. Most are GMCs, but some Flxibles from MARTA were bought. Most of these used buses didn't last long, due to MetroRail and Metromover opening during the mid 1980s.

Plus most of these buses were already over 20+ years old. This is probably why MDT didn't replace most of their GMC Fishbowls with new buses. If any of these used buses made it after 1984, 1987 is likely when they retired, when the Flxibles arrived.

Thanks Big Cj it would be cool if we were able to find an updated roster for the bus fleet and have the Wiki updated to incorporate the other hybrid buses MDT brought And the new railcar addition since the budds are being replaced with AsnaldoBreda

Thanks Big Cj it would be cool if we were able to find an updated roster for the bus fleet and have the Wiki updated to incorporate the other hybrid buses MDT brought And the new railcar addition since the budds are being replaced with AsnaldoBreda

Your welcome. I wish we had a full roster for every other transit system and private company down here. I either find bits and pieces of information from these companies or find info via pictures uploaded throughout the internet. Overall, that roster from MDT is a major discovery and will be helpful. There are also notes for the RTS and Flxibles. Those notes might be of interest to many.

I added most of the used buses Miami bought to the roster. The Flxibles bought in 1982 will prove to be a challenge, since the notes list serial numbers versus actual road numbers from MARTA.

Also I spoke with someone who saw retired buses that were painted red and silver in the early 1980s. Those were the TTC units, which likely arrived at that point in time to begin service for MTA (what MDT was called back then). The same person also rode on the Ex-MARTA Flxibles.

I have unfortunate news to give everyone. 5006, 7080, and several other Flxibles are candidates for being auctioned. It appears that Miami doesn't have the funding or resources to restore some of those buses. Don't know what will happen, but we will find out down the road.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this was posted, but this needs to be.

http://ngvtoday.org/2014/04/15/miami-dade-nears-issue-of-rfp-for-full-cng-bus-fleet-fueling-infrastructure/

This is an RFP for 300 CNG buses and option orders too. Miami wants 817 CNG buses. Since NABI is out of the question, that leaves Gillig and New Flyer.

Thanks CJ! My understanding is that typically Gillig does not bid on contracts which require more than 80 buses or so to be delivered in the same year. This looks to me like a nice target for NFI building Xcelsiors in Alabama by the end of next year.

On the other hand, Nova builds CNG buses now and they just won an order from NFTA.

I would guess NFI, as MDT has some artics from them already (the 09500 series).

OTOH, wonder where MDT is getting the money for this. I had heard that they were in dire financial straits, and could only buy a few buses a year off the FDOT contract (currently held by Gillig).

I have a very funny feeling Gillig will take this contract. 100 buses a year doesn't sound like too much trouble for Gillig. It would also make Gillig a threat to New Flyer and Novabus when it comes to large customer orders (especially in big cities).

With NABI going to be out in 2015, Gillig will want to step up when it comes to ordering city contracts. Matter of fact they did bid on a city contract not too long ago. They, Nova, and New Flyer bidded on that contract for CTA, of course Nova won that contract.

FYBklyn1959, also I think they're going to tap into the FDOT contract for buses, provided Gillig wins. When Gillig renewed last year, they included CNG options with the contract as well as BAE Hybridrive system. Let me go find that.

1.jpg

Gillig Contract Options.jpg

3.jpg

Thanks CJ! My understanding is that typically Gillig does not bid on contracts which require more than 80 buses or so to be delivered in the same year. This looks to me like a nice target for NFI building Xcelsiors in Alabama by the end of next year.

On the other hand, Nova builds CNG buses now and they just won an order from NFTA.

We will see what happens once it's announced.

I would guess NFI, as MDT has some artics from them already (the 09500 series).

OTOH, wonder where MDT is getting the money for this. I had heard that they were in dire financial straits, and could only buy a few buses a year off the FDOT contract (currently held by Gillig).

The D60LFRs I heard are good. As for who will be getting what, it's still not clear. It could be Gillig or New Flyer.

I have a very funny feeling Gillig will take this contract. 100 buses a year doesn't sound like too much trouble for Gillig. It would also make Gillig a threat to New Flyer and Novabus when it comes to large customer orders (especially in big cities).

With NABI going to be out in 2015, Gillig will want to step up when it comes to ordering city contracts. Matter of fact they did bid on a city contract not too long ago. They, Nova, and New Flyer bidded on that contract for CTA, of course Nova won that contract.

FYBklyn1959, also I think they're going to tap into the FDOT contract for buses, provided Gillig wins. When Gillig renewed last year, they included CNG options with the contract as well as BAE Hybridrive system. Let me go find that.

attachicon.gif1.jpg

attachicon.gifGillig Contract Options.jpg

attachicon.gif3.jpg

We will see what happens once it's announced.

If they don't have to deliver more than 100 buses in a single year, I have to agree that Gillig is in a great position. But this is a separate deal not related to the FDOT contract for buses. Correct?

If they don't have to deliver more than 100 buses in a single year, I have to agree that Gillig is in a great position. But this is a separate deal not related to the FDOT contract for buses. Correct?

Now that I'm not sure. Remains to be seen. In the meanwhile, Miami is suppose to get more buses from Gillig this year. Not a lot, but more buses nonetheless.

Gillig has provided a large delivery batch for a couple of orders in Pittsburgh in the past (166 in 2003, 92 in 2006, and 80 diesels in 2009). That said, I wouldn't be shocked if Nova is in the mix after winning that Buffalo contract.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes but fleet number is unknown as of now

They would probably be 14101-14135. MDT uses what I call a "YYTXX" numbering scheme, where YY = year ordered, and T = type of bus, using the following codes:

1,2 - 40-foot bus

3 - less than 40-foot bus

5 - 60-foot articulated bus

7 - Highway coach bus

This has been in place since the 2002 NABI 40-LFWs (02101-02210, although most of the fans in the Miami area dropp the leading zero on those buses (i.e. 2101), of course after 2010, that is no longer possible).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...