Midland Transit Service

armorand

Penetanguishene officially agrees to shared transit with Midland
Jul 23, 2015
Midland Mirror
By Jenni Dunning

The original recommendation on moving forward with Midland as a transit partner was passed in a separate vote.

The two towns will now discuss terms before approving an official agreement. Penetanguishene is expected to hold a public consultation to get input on routes and stops.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Transit link between Midland, Penetanguishene on horizon
Jan. 1 targeted as possible start date
Midland Mirror
By Nikki Cole

Midland council is eager to strike an agreement with the Town of Penetanguishene for the operation of a transit service beginning as early as Jan. 1.
[...]
Penetanguishene is in the process of tendering for a bus

I would guess if starting service in Penetanguishene is dependent on the delivery of the new bus that January 1st is over optimistic. What's the usual delivery time for a cutaway?

• 2 weeks later...

CTV News Barrie will have a report on the Penetanguishene transit project on their news cast at 11:00PM soon, in case anybody local wants to watch it.

If anybody else hasn't chimed in with the results tomorrow morning I'll be on here.

EDIT: Just watched the news report at 11:05 PM, Midland passed the motion to get work on the service started. Penetanguishene's vote's on Wednesday. According to CTV, service should start by January if all is approved.

• 4 weeks later...

An article appeared in Friday's Midland Mirror newspaper, Penetanguishene has reportedly purchased a "hybrid 20-passenger bus worth about $134,000" for the joint transit system, which is expected in "early May" according to the newspaper.

The start date is also reported to be early Februrary, with a spare Midland bus to be used on the Penetanguishene route until this new vehicle arrives.

The article can be found in the Midland Mirror, December 18th, 2015, under title "Penetanguishene buys hybrid transit bus".

Now, this is the first I've ever heard of a 20-passenger hybrid. Who would they might be going with?

An article appeared in Friday's Midland Mirror newspaper, Penetanguishene has reportedly purchased a "hybrid 20-passenger bus worth about $134,000" for the joint transit system, which is expected in "early May" according to the newspaper.

The start date is also reported to be early Februrary, with a spare Midland bus to be used on the Penetanguishene route until this new vehicle arrives.

The article can be found in the Midland Mirror, December 18th, 2015, under title "Penetanguishene buys hybrid transit bus".

Now, this is the first I've ever heard of a 20-passenger hybrid. Who would they might be going with?

There are cutaway-type buses that have diesel-electric propulsion.

• 1 month later...

The Town of Penetanguishene has posted routes and schedules for their unified system with Midland.

From the looks of things, the route will start at Georgian Bay General Hospital in the west end of Midland, and will head up Highway 93 to Penetanguishene, then running clockwise through the town, running west and then east, through Downtown, and then up to the north end of town, before heading south through the east end and then back to the hospital. Transfers can also be made at the Mall and another place, besides the hospital where Midland's North Route and this one will meet.

The Hospital is also where Muskoka MET Route 7 terminates and lays over during the day. It runs from Honey Harbour to Midland via Port Severn, terminating at the hospital, on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month.

The route map can be found on Penetangushene's website, and I'd expect this to be on the news or in the papers soon.

• 4 months later...
On 7/29/2015 at 10:29 AM, Cimon8000 said:

much more making sense than getting a "30ft Orion VI" as they intended to..........very curious to know the background of this second Eldorado bus this time, can it be one of the ex-Owen Sound unit?

just wondering if anyone has spotted the 2nd Eldorado in service yet?  Thank you

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/9/2016 at 0:42 PM, Cimon8000 said:

just wondering if anyone has spotted the 2nd Eldorado in service yet?  Thank you

Answer back my own question, the 2nd Eldorado has been in service.  It doesn't have any fleet # but i would assume it would be #70, following #69 which is the ex-Timmins unit.  Unfortunately i can't confirm the background of the bus as the driver is not kind enough to let me have a look at the VIN sticker.

IMG_6071.JPG

7 hours ago, Cimon8000 said:

Answer back my own question, the 2nd Eldorado has been in service.  It doesn't have any fleet # but i would assume it would be #70, following #69 which is the ex-Timmins unit.  Unfortunately i can't confirm the background of the bus as the driver is not kind enough to let me have a look at the VIN sticker.

IMG_6071.JPG

That could very likely look like an ex-Chicago O'Hare unit?

• 3 years later...

https://www.simcoe.com/news-story/9558553-province-investing-40-000-to-help-improve-midland-transit/

Thread bump; Midland now has a unit 70, which is a 2016 Ford E450/Goshen Impulse, specifically used for the Penetanguishene Link. Their most recent addition is a 2018 Grande West Vicinity numbered 71. Both shots were taken in October and December last year

2016 Ford E450/Goshen Impulse 70

2018 Grande West Vicinity B30A 71

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

RFP 2020-038 TRANSIT BUSES FOR COUNTY OF SIMCOE AND TOWN OF MIDLAND

• The County of Simcoe and Town of Midland are conducting a joint procurement for 30' low floor buses to be delivered in 2021-2023.
  • 2021 delivery of 3 buses to Simcoe County and 1 bus to Midland. Delivery is required by June 15, 2021.
  • 2022 delivery of 1 bus to Simcoe County.
  • 2023 requirements to be determined.

https://simcoecounty.bidsandtenders.ca/Module/Tenders/en/Tender/Detail/f3f1872d-ddc3-4ded-991c-d9012d2724c1

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, G.A said:

My question has been answered. They had taken delivery of a 2022 VMC in an all blue livery with North American bumpers. It is numbered 19 905. Photo attached from their twitter.

IMG_20221219_215925.jpg

Very good chance (subject to VIN confirmation) based on the blue that this is a 2019 built former Oxford, Mississippi unit where they had their 30ft units swapped out for 35ft Vicinity buses. 

• Like 2

On 12/20/2022 at 9:57 AM, G.A said:

My question has been answered. They had taken delivery of a 2022 VMC in an all blue livery with North American bumpers. It is numbered 19 905. Photo attached from their twitter.

IMG_20221219_215925.jpg

On 12/20/2022 at 11:43 AM, MiExpress said:

Very good chance (subject to VIN confirmation) based on the blue that this is a 2019 built former Oxford, Mississippi unit where they had their 30ft units swapped out for 35ft Vicinity buses. 

VIN for 19-905 is 1G9B30AA9KS545473 which is ex Oxford-University Transit Commission (Mississippi) 1934. This bus was originally manufactured in the US by Spartan Motors in Charlotte, Michigan to meet Buy America requirements.

3 hours ago, MiExpress said:

VIN for 19-905 is 1G9B30AA9KS545473 which is ex Oxford-University Transit Commission (Mississippi) 1934. This bus was originally manufactured in the US by Spartan Motors in Charlotte, Michigan to meet Buy America requirements.

Thank you! I much appreciate the information on this unit. I will definitely have to check it out in the warmer months.

• 3 months later...

Good to see 1934 still running. It served the City of Oxford and the University of Mississippi well for a short time. Interesting to see it still carrying it's OUT blue, albeit without it's white stripes. I miss those buses but the seats on them, specifically the wheelchair area ones were not comfortable.