Should MTA Maryland begin studying Natural Gas as a alternative fuel?

MJofLakeland

Should MTA Maryland choose a CNG fuel alternative?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think MTA Maryland should study CNG fuel in the next 5 years?

The MTA Maryland has long been a diesel fuel propelled organization like many others. But like Washington Metrobus, Ride-On, New York MTA, and Boston's MBTA they chose alternative sources to be environmentally friendly, save on fuel consumption, and price of cost-per-mile on buses. Like many who alternated diesel with CNG fuel has have success for the past years. I believe the MTA Maryland is choosing not to study that alternative because of the LNG project that fell through with the Flxible Metro D "LNG" model in the mid-1990s. We know now that liquefied gas can easily evaporate and not recommended for anyone who has no experience behind the helm. Since then natural gas has stepped-up to be efficient and properly handled, as well, more technological studies behind it. The MTA Maryland is ready to make the next big step with the Red Line project completion around 2019-21 and to propell Baltimore from the underdog position to the recognized household names. Alternative fuel source definitely stands out from the regulars and can prove efficient to the city.

LNG: it depends on the region. Southern California doesn't have facilities to make LNG, so it has to come from somewhere else, which is expensive too import (OCTA and Santa Monica have LNG buses, so they know) I don't know about Maryland, so I cant really say if it will be a huge waste of $$$

CNG (& probably LNG) is really cheap, but maintaining the buses requires more maintenance than a regular Diesel bus, which requires more money spent

Doesn't Maryland have Diesel-Electric buses (DE40LFR & XDE40's)? Are they not happy with their performances?

LNG: it depends on the region. Southern California doesn't have facilities to make LNG, so it has to come from somewhere else, which is expensive too import (OCTA and Santa Monica have LNG buses, so they know) I don't know about Maryland, so I cant really say if it will be a huge waste of $$$

CNG (& probably LNG) is really cheap, but maintaining the buses requires more maintenance than a regular Diesel bus, which requires more money spent

Doesn't Maryland have Diesel-Electric buses (DE40LFR & XDE40's)? Are they not happy with their performances?

Yeah sorry, I put diesel and diesel-electric hybrid in the same category as "DIESEL". I get your quote that more maintencance would be needed for natural gas buses. And yes that MTA Maryland and riders like me is pleased with the hybrids performance. The 2006 DE40LFRs haven't had many ultimate issues for a while now, and in fact the 2004-05 D40LFs been performing past their expectations. I believe the city is really happy of the hybrids lessening concerns and problems in motive transportation when service is at their fulliest potential unlike 8-10 years ago with the Flxibles (20 years of service).