new.flyer.408

Toronto's next bus supplier

89 members have voted

1. 1. What will be Toronto's next bus supplier?

• New Flyer
    • Novabus
    • 50/50 split?

Guest orionvi

New flyer to Queensway garage, replacing all of the 9400s and a few 7000s (at least that was stated in 2010).

I'm guessing it will be New Flyer, but who knows?

I doubt it will be a 50/50 split since TTC never seemed to care much before about splitting orders.

Agreed. New flyer all the way! Welcome back!

You'll find out on July 3rd. That's good enough.

Agreed. There really is no point to this thread. Especially if it just turns into arbitrary guesses based on nothing or fantasy. Everyone will find out when the contract is awarded, and hopefully people can have an intelligent discussion about that.

I doubt it will be a 50/50 split since TTC never seemed to care much before about splitting orders.

They don't normally split orders, but this isn't a single order. There are two separate tenders, one for 40' buses and one for 60' ones.

Dan

They don't normally split orders, but this isn't a single order. There are two separate tenders, one for 40' buses and one for 60' ones.

Dan

The poll was poorly set up - I had no idea it was referring to two separate orders.

I'm not sure why people are up in arms about this thread, this is like the white elephant on this site. I do agree people should have something intelligent and worth while to add, and not some fantasy dream they wish to tell.

The poll was poorly set up - I had no idea it was referring to two separate orders.

Someone doesn't know how the tender works.

Remember folks, TTC wants Stainless steel frame, so we know who will be a clear winner!

Someone doesn't know how the tender works.

Remember folks, TTC wants Stainless steel frame, so we know who will be a clear winner!

I'm pretty sure NFI offers stainless steel on their buses now. Nova also offers Stainless Steel.

You'll find out on July 3rd. That's good enough.

If (IF) the the award occurs on July 3rd, you'll know well before the 3rd, as it would be discussed at the June 29th TTC meeting. Which means the staff report should be public anytime between today and June 28th, revealing who is the favoured bidder.

This could allow non-Canadian manufacturers to consider bidding and their options (NABI & Gillig?)

No it can't. The bidding process closed in April. No new companies can input their names/products into the group now. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, right now the TTC is likely going through the process of getting more information about the vehicles being offered to them and negotiating pricing, specs, warranties etc. with the companies that responded by the April 24th deadline before awarding the contract.

Can articulated buses even make the turn into Don Mills Stn from Don Mills Rd (i.e Rt.25)?

If a 40 foot bus can, in many many cases it means an articulated bus can. The turning radii are very close to each others. (i.e an XD40 has a turning radius of 44', and the same goes for a 60 foot Xcelsior.)

No it can't. The bidding process closed in April. No new companies can input their names/products into the group now. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, right now the TTC is likely going through the process of getting more information about the vehicles being offered to them and negotiating pricing, specs, warranties etc. with the companies that responded by the April 24th deadline before awarding the contract.

Not only that, there's also Canadian Content regulations.

I was wondering that too, does that not only apply to purchases made with government money? Or is that just the US?

The RTS were fully built and assembled in New Mexico, USA (unless they used Canadian Steel) perhaps Gillig and NABI could do the same and the TTC would allow them to bid?

The RTS were fully built and assembled in New Mexico, USA (unless they used Canadian Steel) perhaps Gillig and NABI could do the same and the TTC would allow them to bid?

That was back then. The Canadian Content requirement was introduced during the economic downturn (or was it before? If so, can't be that many years back).

That was back then. The Canadian Content requirement was introduced during the economic downturn (or was it before? If so, can't be that many years back).

ok, cuz I was like, the TTC are hypocrits for buying buses made in the USA despite this Canadian content requirements. On the other hand the public could careless because they demand quality hence most people buy Japanese and German made cars.

ok, cuz I was like, the TTC are hypocrits for buying buses made in the USA despite this Canadian content requirements. On the other hand the public could careless because they demand quality hence most people buy Japanese and German made cars.

Really? How so?

Cuz I was like, what the hell are you talking about?