New Flyer D40LF Retirement / Storage watch

Enviro 500

4 hours ago, Ninja Bus Fan said:

So I guess when 7115 is scrapped up into a Pepsi can, should I be concerned for your wellbeing ? As it seems like you will be devistated when your precious 7115 is done ?

I'm going to buy that pepsi can and then place it into a delicate collection and maybe draw 'Scraps of 7115' on it LOL

• Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:29 PM, MCW Metrobus said:

I think 3289 is finished. It's parked behind 7294 on the dead track in RTC.

Right next to the three BAE Novas that are being commissioned...

I'd be surprised if a single C40LF lasts into 2019. Those are in the absolute worst condition out of all buses from what I can see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GORDOOM said:

Will the older engine affect the longevity of the ‘99s? Or will there also be Orion V Suburbans hanging around that will make them less oddball within the fleet?

Not really sure. I know the S50 engines are becoming increasingly rare (although still more common than the infamous CNG version)

2 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

That could be why but many agencies are rapidly retiring their s50 coaches. At least they're mostly outliving S50Gs (how many coaches out there still have this engine?)

The Series 50 hasn't been offered in new built transit coaches for over 15 years. That is why many agencies are rapidly retiring their Series 50 coaches. They're old.

The age issue is an additional reason why they're on the way out. It wasn't a good engine, even when new.

As for S50Gs; down here in LA both LAMTA and Foothill Transit still have coaches operating with this engine.

3 hours ago, northwesterner said:

The age issue is an additional reason why they're on the way out. It wasn't a good engine, even when new.

Don’t know where you sourced yours, but the 200 odd diesel versions that my property had before the EGR change came about were excellent engines, sharing the legendary reliability of the 60 series. There’s a reason they were so common in trucking.

The only thing so stay on top of was the main part that made them different from the 60s...being a 4 cylinder, there’s a gear driven counterbalance assembly to cancel out the inherent vibrations 4 cylinders produce. Bearings can spin out of them, triggering low oil pressure shutdowns. Won’t take out the engine, but will require a tow. Comes out as a complete subassembly once the oil pan is off.

D579AF73-62C5-4455-901C-DD6BD5714900.thumb.jpeg.17e91fbbe7a39cbc374069df89c90608.jpeg

^This thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

Don’t know where you sourced yours, but the 200 odd diesel versions that my property had before the EGR change came about were excellent engines, sharing the legendary reliability of the 60 series. There’s a reason they were so common in trucking.

The only thing so stay on top of was the main part that made them different from the 60s...being a 4 cylinder, there’s a gear driven counterbalance assembly to cancel out the inherent vibrations 4 cylinders produce. Bearings can spin out of them, triggering low oil pressure shutdowns. Won’t take out the engine, but will require a tow. Comes out as a complete subassembly once the oil pan is off.

D579AF73-62C5-4455-901C-DD6BD5714900.thumb.jpeg.17e91fbbe7a39cbc374069df89c90608.jpeg

^This thing.

The counterbalance shaft is the primary target of my comments. 

Many agencies had difficulty with them. The late busdude.com used to comment on how Pierce Transit was having them fail at high rates; Detroit warrantied them for x miles after a rebuild and they would rarely make it that far. PT was tracking the failures closely, and would regularly send in warranty claims. 

The charter company I worked at did a bunch of S50 repowers in the mid-00s on their two-stroke fleet. As you note, some of the EGR versions, which I had the pleasure of driving extensively, had issues, especially with power. And we did lots of counterbalance assembly (or off-set balance shaft) swap outs in our shop. We'd occasionally get a failure a long ways from home, stranding the bus/group until we could get a replacement bus out there. 

• Like 1

Admittedly, stranding 47 passengers overnight in a remote location isn’t something we had to deal with. 

The TTC sourced their remans directly from Detroit Diesel, never had any real longevity issues with them, but it would need to be replaced at least once during the life of the engine...which for us, is about 5 years, or 250 000/300 000 km (give or take)  As I recall, there was never a hard prescribed service life. We dealt with such volumes of parts that warranty claims were assigned to a couple of dedicated guys in our central shop downtown, out of sight for the most part. We’d just tag them and they’d leave on a skid.  Through experience, we deduced that when it started throwing multiple codes for low oil pressure, that was where you looked first.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, northwesterner said:

The Series 50 hasn't been offered in new built transit coaches for over 15 years. That is why many agencies are rapidly retiring their Series 50 coaches. They're old.

As for S50Gs; down here in LA both LAMTA and Foothill Transit still have coaches operating with this engine.

I thought all LA S50G coaches were swapped to ISLG

24 minutes ago, Community Shuttle said:

I thought all LA S50G coaches were swapped to ISLG

Nope; there's not a lot of them out there but there are still C40LF, as well as 40ft and 45ft NABIs running around with S50G.

In my first LA apartment two years my bedroom faced this arterial with fairly minor bus service (something stupid like a 48 minute headway). Anyways ... I never heard the bus go by unless it was a Series 50. In that case, my room vibrated. If anything else was assigned, I might as well have not been on a bus route.

3 hours ago, northwesterner said:

Nope; there's not a lot of them out there but there are still C40LF, as well as 40ft and 45ft NABIs running around with S50G.

In my first LA apartment two years my bedroom faced this arterial with fairly minor bus service (something stupid like a 48 minute headway). Anyways ... I never heard the bus go by unless it was a Series 50. In that case, my room vibrated. If anything else was assigned, I might as well have not been on a bus route.

Aren't the C40LFs being swapped though? Pretty sure all the old C40HFs were. Also I just keep forgetting about NABI...