Jump to content
Enviro 500

New Flyer D40LF Retirement / Storage watch

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Express691 said:

The toilet plant buses!

What is this "Toilet Plant" you speak of? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thomasw said:

What is this "Toilet Plant" you speak of? 

It's a warehouse that buses were stored, located just south of the highway 1 overpass on North Road. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2019 at 6:21 PM, MCW Metrobus said:

I saw that one in the shop last night.

8036 is back on the active tracks. So all that repairs to keep for a short period of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw a whole bunch of D40LFs at VTC a few days ago. What are they doing there? I thought RTC and HTC are supposed to be the retirement home for the LF buses. Couldn't tell what year they were though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, briguychau said:

Is WVMT 971 dead? Not seen since Dec 25, 2018, but still listed in the wiki as active.

Yes, it has been for a while but hasn’t been updated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Translink69 said:

Yes, it has been for a while but hasn’t been updated.

I would change it once it’s been 100% confirmed dead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, MCW Metrobus said:

3286 was being towed southbound on Highway 99 just out of the tunnel around 12:30 today. 

Hold up, you mean 3287 right? 3286 was retired back in 2016

Edited by Thomasw
wrong unit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7337 & 7345 Join the retirement line at RTC

10 hours ago, MCW Metrobus said:

7440 has been outfitted with the double decker height testing equipment that was used on 7190 last year.

 

On 4/13/2019 at 7:04 PM, MCW Metrobus said:

3286 was being towed southbound on Highway 99 just out of the tunnel around 12:30 today. 

3286 was at the scrap yard yesterday afternoon with the entire frame sitting on blocks. I'm told that the scrap yard drains the fluids before it's crushed which is for the reason of it sitting on blocks.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dover5949 said:

7337 & 7345 Join the retirement line at RTC

I didn't see both of them around Surrey today, that's why

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dover5949 said:

3286 was at the scrap yard yesterday afternoon with the entire frame sitting on blocks. I'm told that the scrap yard drains the fluids before it's crushed which is for the reason of it sitting on blocks.

Do they crush the whole thing at once, or do they cut it in half first?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

Do they crush the whole thing at once, or do they cut it in half first?

I believe that they kind of peck at them with an excavator, shear or claw (depending on what that yard uses) until they end up as two pieces, which are then reduced in size in the same way until the whole bus is gone. The only buses that were crushed were the D40s, and those had their roofs punched in with excavators and then loaded onto a barge.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking with a neighbour who hauls scrap cars,  heavy duty shear cutters on a large type of tractor will cut them up into several small pieces. They will then be eventually placed onto a conveyor belt & put through a shredder where they will be shredded. that the technology is so advanced it can sort out aluminum, steel, copper & tin into separate piles. The rest of the stuff for example cloth, glass, rubber & whatever else you can think of is also recycled. Overall all he says there is not much waste at the end.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, dover5949 said:

Speaking with a neighbour who hauls scrap cars,  heavy duty shear cutters on a large type of tractor will cut them up into several small pieces. They will then be eventually placed onto a conveyor belt & put through a shredder where they will be shredded. that the technology is so advanced it can sort out aluminum, steel, copper & tin into separate piles. The rest of the stuff for example cloth, glass, rubber & whatever else you can think of is also recycled. Overall all he says there is not much waste at the end.

I saw a video where they crushed an old school bus. They smashed the roof in first to get it to fit. Saw another where they ripped an Orion VI in half. Wasn't sure what they'd do.

The sorting process is really quite interesting!

How long do buses stick around scrapyards before being destroyed? In Medicine Hat, there's buses that have been there for over 30 years!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 8:01 PM, DD453T said:

I believe that they kind of peck at them with an excavator, shear or claw (depending on what that yard uses) until they end up as two pieces, which are then reduced in size in the same way until the whole bus is gone.

This is the process ABC uses. If anyone wants to see what a bus looks like in two pieces, here are some photos I found on Instagram

 
I'm sure if you browse through some older posts in this thread, you'll see more photos of how buses get picked at.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×