Enviro 500

New Flyer D40LF Retirement / Storage watch

1 hour ago, Mountie said:

3295, 7199, 7212, 7213, 7218, 7350, 7353, 7360, 7363, 7386, 7394 are also wiki updates- just mentioning it here for reference's sake. 🙂

don't worry, our editors are always keep those infos update😉

Spotted 7342 on the back of a Mundies yesterday morning by Marine Way and Byrne Road, presumably to join the others in the heaven depot

23 minutes ago, ThomasW97 said:

Spotted 7342 on the back of a Mundies yesterday morning by Marine Way and Byrne Road, presumably to join the others in the heaven depot

Celestial Transit Centre.

• Haha 1

Hate to be the bearer of any sad news but.......

saw 7444 at ABC junkyard yesterday afternoon or at least the front half :(

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, dover5949 said:

New arrivals to the RTC retirement line V7196 V7197, S7201 S7346

Too bad, I saw 7196 last week and it had a crazy whistling sound that I wanted to get a video of. 

4 hours ago, jmward said:

Too bad, I saw 7196 last week and it had a crazy whistling sound that I wanted to get a video of. 

That sound was probably why it got pulled out of service

58 minutes ago, cleowin said:

7115 is dead guys, on the htc b/o tracks per western canadian trasportation on fb.

Don’t cry because it’s over; smile because it happened.

1 hour ago, cleowin said:

7115 is dead guys, on the htc b/o tracks per western canadian trasportation on fb.

The king is dead. Long live the king.

(which I guess is 7176 for now)

2 hours ago, cleowin said:

Actually the dead line, pretty much confirming retirement

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

Actually the dead line, pretty much confirming retirement

It's gear shall go to good use for a BAE

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bob32189 said:

The king is dead. Long live the king.

(which I guess is 7176 for now)

So I guess now you guys will be foaming over 7176 🙄

" TRAMS SHOULD PRESERVE 7176 BECAUSE IT"S THE OLDEST ACTIVE BUS WE HAVE IN SERVICE !!!! "

- You guys 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ninja Bus Fan said:

" TRAMS SHOULD PRESERVE 7176 BECAUSE IT"S THE OLDEST ACTIVE BUS WE HAVE IN SERVICE !!!! "

- You guys 

TRAMS has too much to deal with right now (e.g. getting rid of the IC-41, 2416's paint issues, etc.) so preserving a low floor isn't even on the priority list... The only thing regarding this that has been discussed is acquiring 7112 once Translink is done with it and making it the new museum bus, allowing for 730 to be converted back into a passenger bus. This has not been confirmed to happen; there are multiple objections for various reasons, like how modern and unattractive a D40LF is compared to 730 and our lack of access to Series 50 parts and manuals at the moment, and we might actually end up getting another Old Look instead. Only time will tell what we actually end up doing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Community Shuttle said:

TRAMS has too much to deal with right now (e.g. getting rid of the IC-41, 2416's paint issues, etc.) so preserving a low floor isn't even on the priority list... The only thing regarding this that has been discussed is acquiring 7112 once Translink is done with it and making it the new museum bus, allowing for 730 to be converted back into a passenger bus. This has not been confirmed to happen; there are multiple objections for various reasons, like how modern and unattractive a D40LF is compared to 730 and our lack of access to Series 50 parts and manuals at the moment, and we might actually end up getting another Old Look instead. Only time will tell what we actually end up doing.

The series 50 was developed from the same existing block of the series 60. And both share a lot of the same parts between each other. You'd have a better chance of getting a manual for it and parts than some of the older engines that TRAMS is running. But I gotta give credit to TRAMS for having a mechanic who knows how to work on the older buses.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, translink fan said:

The series 50 was developed from the same existing block of the series 60. And both share a lot of the same parts between each other. You'd have a better chance of getting a manual for it and parts than some of the older engines that TRAMS is running. But I gotta give credit to TRAMS for having a mechanic who knows how to work on the older buses.

Well we don't even have the D40LF or whichever other S50 bus yet so...

Anyways, it's awesome that we have someone who can keep all these buses running, whether they're trolleys you can't get parts for, 2 stroke detroits or oddities like pancake engines. The number of mechanics like them is quickly diminishing by the day.

53 minutes ago, Community Shuttle said:

Well we don't even have the D40LF or whichever other S50 bus yet so...

Anyways, it's awesome that we have someone who can keep all these buses running, whether they're trolleys you can't get parts for, 2 stroke detroits or oddities like pancake engines. The number of mechanics like them is quickly diminishing by the day.

Just shine a light in the sky and I’ll be there.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2018 at 12:31 AM, cleowin said:

I saw it two weeks ago near Metrotown while driving and said I had to get a picture before it went into retirement. Seeing it still around brought a smile to my face. Fond memories of riding the 95/96 D40LFs during my university days. Thought it might stick around for another couple of months but I guess that's not going to happen with all the new buses coming in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/BIT4TTM

• Like 1

2 hours ago, translink said:

I know it was poking fun at foamers who say "Oooh TRAMS should preserve XXXX" but I just wanted to comment on what we currently plan on doing.

4 hours ago, Vancouver said:

I saw it two weeks ago near Metrotown while driving and said I had to get a picture before it went into retirement. Seeing it still around brought a smile to my face. Fond memories of riding the 95/96 D40LFs during my university days. Thought it might stick around for another couple of months but I guess that's not going to happen with all the new buses coming in.

Still a few 96s out there today. Your chances of getting to ride one before the year's end still exists.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ninja Bus Fan said:

- You guys 

9 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

I know it was poking fun at foamers who say "Oooh TRAMS should preserve XXXX" but I just wanted to comment on what we currently plan on doing.

There is no need to foam over any of the '96 buses, or even the '95s to a rather large extent

I just find 7115 interesting because it was the oldest active bus when I got into transit geek-ery, and I'm surprised it lasted so long next to the other '95 buses

I also don't expect 7176 to last longer than three months anyway

While it would be nice to see TRAMS preserve 7115 or maybe 7112, it is clearly no big deal if both of them go to the scrap, imo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bob32189 said:

There is no need to foam over any of the '96 buses, or even the '95s to a rather large extent

I just find 7115 interesting because it was the oldest active bus when I got into transit geek-ery, and I'm surprised it lasted so long next to the other '95 buses

I also don't expect 7176 to last longer than three months anyway

While it would be nice to see TRAMS preserve 7115 or maybe 7112, it is clearly no big deal if both of them go to the scrap, imo

7115 was an early '96 that got jumbled into the confusingly numbered 1995-96 order so it basically outlived every single 1995 (technically it hasn't outlived 7112, the two units that returned to BCT (which have now probably become scrap metal and 100% recycled fiberglass insulation), those sold to PAT and Saskatoon, and the movie buses, although those retired from active TransLink service earlier and shouldn't count).

Buses retire depending on condition so 7176 could last anywhere from a day to several months. I think the only reason why the oldest buses are constantly foamed over is because they are outliving much newer buses like 7430 and 7444; like I said, it's all because of the condition they're in. The ones in worst shape go first, and that's the category those aforementioned 2001 units fell into.

I'm not sure if TransLink still sends conventionals to WC Remarketing for sale after they're finished (seems like it's only shuttles now based on my observations from the past few years) but the ones that end up for sale are probably buses with little to no issues that can remain in service for much longer – there are just new buses that have to enter service and there wouldn't be any room for them with these old ones lingering around.

12 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

Still a few 96s out there today. Your chances of getting to ride one before the year's end still exists.

Was only in Vancouver for 3 days back at the end of November, and won't be back again for a couple of months. Will see if any of these are around then. But it was great to see 7115 out and running then regardless.

• Like 1

Instagram post showing what's left of 7444 (which could very well be gone by now; only a matter of time before it gets processed into fiberglass insulation and whatever's left becomes scrap metal and junk)

• Sad 1