New Flyer D40LF Retirement / Storage watch

Enviro 500

16 hours ago, UprisingCanadian said:

Jeez the headlights are gone. Didnt think they could use a bus for parting out AND training at the same time

.....thats because it's done with training duty. They're just purging it for everything that still works and could be used to fix the other D40LFs

8 hours ago, popillil said:

.....thats because it's done with training duty. They're just purging it for everything that still works and could be used to fix the other D40LFs

Seems like standard procedure for any bus that's no longer considered feasible for use in service. I used to see Orions with a whole bunch of missing parts in the RTC dead tracks when I went to the neighbouring mall. I distinctly remember one with its doors open and an entire transmission just sitting there at the top of the steps.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

Seems like standard procedure for any bus that's no longer considered feasible for use in service. I used to see Orions with a whole bunch of missing parts in the RTC dead tracks when I went to the neighbouring mall. I distinctly remember one with its doors open and an entire transmission just sitting there at the top of the steps.

I know. I was saying that 7322 isn't even worth keeping up right now, despite being in the training fleet, so they part it out for anything worth keeping.

11 hours ago, popillil said:

I know. I was saying that 7322 isn't even worth keeping up right now, despite being in the training fleet, so they part it out for anything worth keeping.

I remember they used to just send the entire bus to scrap, or at least after pulling some usable major components but not literally everything that can still be used. I know they're even removing the sign controllers from shuttles before sending them to auction

On 1/1/2022 at 3:04 AM, Community Shuttle said:

I remember they used to just send the entire bus to scrap, or at least after pulling some usable major components but not literally everything that can still be used. I know they're even removing the sign controllers from shuttles before sending them to auction

When you have a small fleet of old buses left, you need all the working parts you can get, new parts aren't cheap.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/9/2022 at 2:39 PM, DiltonPlayzYT said:

So all the Detroiters are gone, just the ISC/ISLs now?

There is one Series 50 D40LF left with TL, 7112, which is a public relations bus. All the ISL D40LF's were either overhauled to ISLs or engine swapped to ISLs, due to ISCs having lots of wear and tear compared to other engines.  There are around 14 Detroit Series 50 buses left in service, the 2001 Orion Vs, but be quick, they are probably gonna be gone by the end of the year.

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2022 at 1:42 AM, UprisingCanadian said:

Take this with a grain of salt (third or fourth-hand source), but 7426 has apparently been confirmed retired by a VTC operator. Like I said, this is beyond second hand info, so don't go updating everything just yet. It last saw service on November 6th, 2021, so its been a while.

7426 is confirmed retired, suffered a major mech problem

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So, this week no D40LF's were dispatched on Monday and Tuesday.  They started making it out on Wednesday, but only 7413 and 7443 have run this week.   7438 was booked out on a 9 on Thursday morning, but wound up breaking down at Broadway/Renfrew WB around 7:30am, which was disappointing because it was on the 9 I would have taken to work and I saw it sitting there getting later while the 9's and 99's behind it overtook it.  7438 has not made it out since.