New Flyer D40LF Retirement / Storage watch

Enviro 500

20 hours ago, MCW Metrobus said:

I've been told that the 1996/1998 D40LFs that have been recently retired from the training department are being replaced with other recently retired D40LFs (read: 7400s). I don't have any numbers though, nor have I seen this for myself.

7413 is one of those buses.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dover5949 said:

New additions to the RTC retirement line R3296, H7291, S7308 & R7431. 7439 could be on the retirement list as it has not seen service since February 27th?

7431 blew it's transmission yesterday on hwy 99 about a kilometer east of Ladner Trunk rd while doing a 352, I talked to the driver who had the breakdown so I wasn't surprised to hear this!  

with RTC officially without any D40LF's, HTC has about 16 left, and there still about 17 Nova HEV's left to enter service, so id say less than a month and HTC will be all HEV/XN40. The total # of hev's at HTC will probably be 96-97 once everything is said and done.

With that being said, i think the 2019 XN40 order will goto STC. IF they goto HTC, then htc will probably transfer out 47 older XN40's to STC to retire the rest of STC's D40LF's, but D40LF's will be exclusive out of STC for a few months!

1 hour ago, Phillip said:

7431 blew it's transmission yesterday on hwy 99 about a kilometer east of Ladner Trunk rd while doing a 352, I talked to the driver who had the breakdown so I wasn't surprised to hear this!  

I think the reason why these are dropping like flies now is that Translink is not keeping up with regular servicing now & just driving them into the ground until something goes?

44 minutes ago, dover5949 said:

I think the reason why these are dropping like flies now is that Translink is not keeping up with regular servicing now & just driving them into the ground until something goes?

I figure that as so, probably to save a few bucks here and there?

8 hours ago, popillil said:

I figure that as so, probably to save a few bucks here and there?

Yeah, no point sinking money into them at this point. 8036 was having issues with it's front tires/axle, it was wobbling violently at highway speeds. Let's see if that one ever sees service again.

18 hours ago, Phillip said:

I also know the driver. She says she almost didn't make the exit!

EDIT: *safe spot on the highway, not an exit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, buizelbus said:

I also know the driver. She says she almost didn't make the exit!

EDIT: *safe spot on the highway, not an exit.

Yes she was pulled over on the shoulder, I saw her with two road supervisor vans, they deemed it an emergency situation. It took them about 25 minutes to get to her and the passengers were freaking out.

So that's 7431's tragic end.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2019 at 5:58 AM, Phillip said:

Yeah, no point sinking money into them at this point. 8036 was having issues with it's front tires/axle, it was wobbling violently at highway speeds. Let's see if that one ever sees service again.

I saw that one in the shop last night.

For reasons unknown to me, a number of retired D40LFs, some of which have been out of service for ages, have reappeared in RTC. Some numbers include 7251, 7257, 7261, 3286, and 7326. There are at least two others, I'll try to get numbers later today.

EDIT: the two others are 7225 and 7341.

Also on the retirement line I spotted 7296 and 7305, both of which were still in service within the past few days.

1 hour ago, MCW Metrobus said:

For reasons unknown to me, a number of retired D40LFs, some of which have been out of service for ages, have reappeared in RTC. Some numbers include 7251, 7257, 7261, 3286, and 7326. There are at least two others, I'll try to get numbers later today.

The toilet plant buses!