Region to negotiate for Bombardier light rail vehicles

KCGR

Guest orionvi

Another sole-source contract? If metrolinx just awards contract after contract to Bombardier, they will have no power to get lower prices or better quality. Maybe it's just me, but I hate Bombardier vehicles.

Another sole-source contract? If metrolinx just awards contract after contract to Bombardier, they will have no power to get lower prices or better quality. Maybe it's just me, but I hate Bombardier vehicles.

You gotta support your own provincial economy somehow, especially during these times.

Guest orionvi

You gotta support your own provincial economy somehow, especially during these times.

Sure, that does matter, but that is why we have Canadian Content rules. But giving Bonbardier contract after contract makes me think the RFP process is a total sham. If we got another manufacturer in Canada, that would be great as we could very easily bring the prices down a lot.

Back on topic, how many LRVs for GRT?

Sure, that does matter, but that is why we have Canadian Content rules. But giving Bonbardier contract after contract makes me think the RFP process is a total sham. If we got another manufacturer in Canada, that would be great as we could very easily bring the prices down a lot.

Yeah, if. The only other manufacturer who expressed interest was Siemens (although they did mention back then, along with the building contract they would design the signals as well...).

Plus, this would simplify maintenance, since the LRVs here will have roughly the same specs as the Transit City LRVs.

Nothing is set in stone yet. The article mentioned 14 to start, expanding to 35 by 2031.

Its also cheaper to Piggyback on a order. Saves you some money.

I'm guessing they will have TTC specs since they will share the order?

Its also cheaper to Piggyback on a order. Saves you some money.

Do you really think they'll actually "save money"? It will be just another "cash pot" for them to waste somewhere else, and to pay themselves exhorbinant bonuses because they "saved the taxpayer money".

Do you really think they'll actually "save money"? It will be just another "cash pot" for them to waste somewhere else, and to pay themselves exhorbinant bonuses because they "saved the taxpayer money".

Yes, it does save them money, and allow the region to put the savings back into other projects.

Bonuses? Give me a break. Find me a single example where a municipal council in this region has done that, in the last decade.

Yes, it will save money. There are several more years of tax increases planned towards the Regional Transportation Master Plan reserve fund. Most of that fund for the next several years will be paying for LRT, but the express route network could be implemented earlier if LRT comes in under budget. Moreover, in that case the tax increases could be reduced.

Come on! You don't think that these guys get bonuses? Give your head a shake. It goes on, and it's been going on. It's just not as transparent as you wish it to be.

Anyone in a senior management position these days is motivated by their 'bonus'. ( eg: We budgeted to lose $1 million last year, but, we "only" lost $900,000, "saving" the taxpayers $100,000! Good work guys! Here's your "bonus"!) Trust me; it happens!

BTW, it's not the "council" that's doing this, it's the Division/Department head that has this number built into their "Budget" as presented, and "approved" by Council.

Come on! You don't think that these guys get bonuses? Give your head a shake. It goes on, and it's been going on. It's just not as transparent as you wish it to be.

Anyone in a senior management position these days is motivated by their 'bonus'. ( eg: We budgeted to lose $1 million last year, but, we "only" lost $900,000, "saving" the taxpayers $100,000! Good work guys! Here's your "bonus"!) Trust me; it happens!

BTW, it's not the "council" that's doing this, it's the Division/Department head that has this number built into their "Budget" as presented, and "approved" by Council.

I quote mpd's post above. You still fail to mention a time this has happened.

I agree they get bonuses, but not in the sums you say they do. And certainly not from saving the taxpayers money.

I would assume they will save money (I have no idea what happens up there with your city/transportation officials, look at my location), thats the concept of a piggyback order...

And like Bus_Medic said, you would need solid proof to accuse them of stealing money from public services (im not defending them btw), so good luck with that (but the police might do you that favor, if they're not corrupt and/or stupid).

Oh and those LRV's look fantastic! :)

Come on! You don't think that these guys get bonuses? Give your head a shake. It goes on, and it's been going on. It's just not as transparent as you wish it to be. ... Trust me; it happens!

If you've got any evidence that this happens here, feel free to share it. Otherwise, "it's government and is therefore corrupt" is not an argument.

They're in the TTC livery though. GRT livery would be a lot more plain...unless they go with a full blue covering with yellow stripes.

It's pretty unlikely that the current GRT livery is going to be applied to the trains. It wouldn't look that good, and a bus design doesn't match a train design. On the other hand, whatever is done for LRT might find its way back to regular buses as a rebranding.