T2P Films

Rather than trying to develop a stand-alone simulator, you would have a far easier job ahead of you to create something based on something like MS Train Simulator or Auran Trainz. That way, you already have a basis for the physics and graphics engines in the game, and only need to apply the correct scenarios - maps, shapes, ojects - to the software.

Dan

I don't know how Railworks works, but you can completely customize MSTS - to the point of custom signal systems and track.

Dan

Railworks has an far more easy to use route editor but no less functional than MSTS. You can have far more intricate signal systems than msts. (coloured light, semaphore, position light, theatre signals, etc). You can even add cant to your tracks now. The editor gets frustrating though. We would need skilled 3d modellers. The railworks train and scenery model standards are pretty high. Especially with the new version. You may have a problem with underground tunnels like MSTS.

If we were to do it from scratch .. that would be a big challenge even just to do the YUS?

I like the petition idea, if I make a spreadsheet can you guys sign?

It will take a lot of committment for sure. It will take a great deal of photos. Also we'd need a skilled 3d modeller. As I said RW is graphically the best train simulator out there. Their modelling standards are pretty high. A YUS route like the one for BVE would be absolutely unacceptable in RW. I would definitely sign the petition but I am not sure how the WoS project is going now. last I heard the new one was supposed to be Paris. Most of their customers are European so we'd need a LOT of signatures.

Well the photos wouldn't be a problem. I've got a lot already, and I'm sure a lot of us here can help with that. Modelling and gameplay would definitely be the challenge.

We can try with the signatures (is name and email good enough?). Remember they can sell expansion packs for BD, SHP or even cut the YUS and BD into half each.

I don't know how it works with them to be honest. Honestly, you're better off making it yourself. There was a website actually that sold extremely high quality toronto subway models. I think they were raw 3dsmax models. Don't remember the website. Obviously you'd have to reduce a lot of polygons to get them to be playable on todays hardware.

Trainz has a far easier editor to use than either MSTS or Railworks, and the controls are simplified aswell, so if anyone were to make a TTC route for a train simulator, that'd be my vote.

There was an A8 class PCC and a G1 subway car model for Trainz avaible for download a few years back - no idea if it still is. A while back, someone was also doing a CLRV model on the Auran forums, but whether or not that will get finished is anybody's guess.

Trainz has a far easier editor to use than either MSTS or Railworks, and the controls are simplified aswell, so if anyone were to make a TTC route for a train simulator, that'd be my vote.

The problem with Trainz is that it is supposed to be a digital representation of a model railroad layout, and their physics model shows that. It is very, very difficult to accurately model real-world physics using it.

My experience is with MSTS so I would be able to help out with textures, fizziks and maybe a bit of light-duty 3D modelling should the project lead to that platform.

Dan

I definitely think focusing an an entirely new package compatible with the newest version of Open BVE would be the best approach as it is the most customizable and adaptable to subway operation. A lot of advances in scripting and physics have occured since BVE 2.0 which the main TTC routes were designed on and I think a fairly accurate and eye pleasing product could be turned out with the right talent behind it. Unfortunately I have neither the time nor the talent for such a project but I admit that I would greatly enjoy seeing such a thing in development.

Guest orionvi

How about a New Look simulator? :P

Already exists: get City Bus Somulator 2010 and there is a TDH 5303 download on CBSChile.

Back on topic, Trainz would be best: there is a G1 available for download and someone is creating what looks like an H2.

The problem with Trainz is that it is supposed to be a digital representation of a model railroad layout, and their physics model shows that. It is very, very difficult to accurately model real-world physics using it.

Dan

Fair enough, although for those who struggle with the life-like controls on the locos in Railworks and MSTS, not to mention the route building and content customizing, Trainz would be the best choice.

...what? Where now?

Seconded. I'd love to see a Hawker subway car for trainz, especially considering that I've been hunting for such a thing since I first got into trainz back in 2007. :unsure:

I have created the entire TTC subway system about 2 years ago in Trainz Classics and built the Crosstown also (Did I beat the 2020 deadline?). Problem is that everything is not so accurate, but I did use track maps for references of crossovers and third tracks. Also, the Allen Rd. portion of the subway, especially near Wilson/Downsview is woefully inaccurate, but that is because its a very complicated undertaking. The trains I used are basically trains I used from some third party websites reskinned into TTC colours (a MARTA train which I forgot its model, and I believe an R142, and some other trains with modified destination signs) And of course, I used the G1s a part of the fleet. Only big problem here is that the game lags big time as I have a fleet of like 40 trains on the YUS and something in the 30s for the BD line, and they all take copied commands, which means regular service doesn't commence until I believe about an hour or 2 in real time. The only lines unaffected is the Sheppard line, because they're only 2 trains servicing 5 stations. I've also created a map for the Jane LRT which consisted of reskinned HF LRT cars and the buildings being inaccurate. I haven't yet release the Jane LRT, but I might sometime in July. Well, now I will show you a preview of what I had done (Long 35 minute video, I know, but you don't have to watch it all) (Yes, this is video showing a really fictional run if Interlining between the BD and YUS still existed)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTFlzjj19NQ&feature=plcp

And a little ride between Kipling and Highpark stations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BRFLtOiCsY&feature=plcp

To those that did not read this text, I know that the buildings and stuff are not accurate, but making many kilometres of scenery realistic isn't easy.

Guest orionvi

Well the photos wouldn't be a problem. I've got a lot already, and I'm sure a lot of us here can help with that. Modelling and gameplay would definitely be the challenge.

We can try with the signatures (is name and email good enough?). Remember they can sell expansion packs for BD, SHP or even cut the YUS and BD into half each.

If you are assuming that TML Studios makes it as part of WOS, there will never be any expansion packs since the engine they use will not allow them as part of the license agreement apparently.