TTC Orion VII Diesel & Hybrid Rebuild Tracking

21 minutes ago, 6254 said:

So apparently the rebuild of this 8300 series is done by number, not by the actual structural status of an individual bus? Is it the first time in recent history that the TTC has adopted this bus rebuild policy?

We're only 6 buses into the refurb process, I wouldn't hold my breath expecting them to continue in perfect order yet...

Only 35 buses were delivered in 2011, so it's a lot easier to organize rebuilds in numerical order compared to the 224-bus 12xx order for example.

3 minutes ago, Articulated said:

We're only 6 buses into the refurb process, I wouldn't hold my breath expecting them to continue in perfect order yet...

Only 35 buses were delivered in 2011, so it's a lot easier to organize rebuilds in numerical order compared to the 224-bus 12xx order for example.

Somehow I think they'll end up rebuilding all the 8300s this year if they have nothing else to rebuild.

Edit: That's why Steve Munro had posted: 2018_busfleetplan.jpg

2 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Somehow I think they'll end up rebuilding all the 8300s this year if they have nothing else to rebuild.

There are still plenty of 81xx running around in their original livery, and it seems the 15xx are still being rebuilt. Frankly I'm surprised they have already started on this many of the 83xx.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Articulated said:

There are still plenty of 81xx running around in their original livery, and it seems the 15xx are still being rebuilt. Frankly I'm surprised they have already started on this many of the 83xx.

I think these are part of the pilot for rebuilding the 3rd Gen EPA10 Orion VII NGs. This batch is different than the 2nd Gen NGs so they have to work out the kinks before the entire batch gets rebuilt. Either way, we'll see every remaining diesel VIIs rebuilt this year.

11 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I think these are part of the pilot for rebuilding the 3rd Gen EPA10 Orion VII NGs. This batch is different than the 2nd Gen NGs so they have to work out the kinks before the entire batch gets rebuilt. Either way, we'll see every remaining diesel VIIs rebuilt this year.

8300 was the pilot bus - it disappeared at the start of March 2017 to begin its refurb. Just like how 8159 was the pilot bus for the 81xx series refurb, disappeared by March 2016 and reentered service in January 2017.

The differences between the 81xx and the 83xx series are not huge enough to require a substantially modified refurb program or anything. You also don't need 5 buses as "pilot" units for a 96 bus fleet.

52 minutes ago, Articulated said:

8300 was the pilot bus - it disappeared at the start of March 2017 to begin its refurb. Just like how 8159 was the pilot bus for the 81xx series refurb, disappeared by March 2016 and reentered service in January 2017.

The differences between the 81xx and the 83xx series are not huge enough to require a substantially modified refurb program or anything. You also don't need 5 buses as "pilot" units for a 96 bus fleet.

Probably to balance out the fleet too. They don't want to pull too many buses from one division at a time.