TTC Orion VII Diesel & Hybrid Rebuild Tracking

Guest orionvi

I have a feeling that there are more, but for now this is what I have.

7405 7504 7608.

The differences from my observations is the black skirt removed, both doors are black, and a shiny repainted bus!

7405 still has the black skirt.

7405s rear door is one that you would find on 8102-8396.

Powertrain comes out and is overhauled, axles are removed, new suspension bushings, kingpins, all tie rods, shocks, air bellows are replaced, replace steering box, install updated under seat heaters, repair flooring. Drop and modify fuel tank, probably some repair to the thermo king unit in the rear, like they did with the Orion Vs.

Likely there's some stuff I missed, but that's most of it.

Powertrain comes out and is overhauled, axles are removed, new suspension bushings, kingpins, all tie rods, shocks, air bellows are replaced, replace steering box, install updated under seat heaters, repair flooring. Drop and modify fuel tank, probably some repair to the thermo king unit in the rear, like they did with the Orion Vs.

It would've been nice to see them repainted like the 2nd gen buses. Especially the upper section behind the rear doors.

Thanks for the info.

It would've been nice to see them repainted like the 2nd gen buses. Especially the upper section behind the rear doors.

Totally, the 7300's were the first buses to get a non-standard paint scheme, the black around the windows is supposed to follow the lower red stripe not go up with the windows.

I'm not impressed that the rear seating arrangement is not being reconfigured to match the NG's. The OG's rear seating arrangement was identified as being problematic more than 6 years ago. I realize at the time it was considered too expensive to correct on the OG's because it would require floor modification to reduce the width of the rear wheel wells but seeing as new floors are being installed it would seem be the perfect time, the only time.

I'm not impressed that the rear seating arrangement is not being reconfigured to match the NG's. The OG's rear seating arrangement was identified as being problematic more than 6 years ago. I realize at the time it was considered too expensive to correct on the OG's because it would require floor modification to reduce the width of the rear wheel wells but seeing as new floors are being installed it would seem be the perfect time, the only time.

No it isn't, NYC done it no problem. It's just pathetic that TTC makes hardball decision that refuse to change anything!

Guest orionvi

Totally, the 7300's were the first buses to get a non-standard paint scheme, the black around the windows is supposed to follow the lower red stripe not go up with the windows.

I think the reason why it was not changed is because according to the TTC's 2012 loading standards, those buses can carry more people than the NGs with the perimeter seating. I don't believe the loading standards because it states that during the weekends, 12 meter high floors (Vs and the RTS) can't carry as many people as a low floor bus, which I think we all know is not true.

Guest orionvi

Are all of the rebuilds going to get the 8102-8396 style back doors?

No, 7405 and 7608 have them but 7504 does not.

Photos of 7608.

I see they didn't fix 7608's rear fleet number. It's been like that since around 2008 IIRC when it got an ad wrap removed.

I have a feeling that only 7504 lost its black skirts because they gave it new side panels. I've seen a couple 7400s roaming around before with missing skirts. The original side panels on 7400-7619 are smaller than the ones found on the other OG VIIs so that they leave space for the skirt to fit over what seems like the frame. If they were to remove the skirts during rebuild they would have to get new side panels for the other 217 buses that haven't been rebuilt yet, and eventually get 7405 and 7608.

Those skirts never really had a purpose anyhow.

Weren't they designed to prevent damage to the side panels? I've seen many a Vii without the rub-rails with snow bank damage, especially when the mudguard rips off and takes the side panel with it.

As for 7608 I'm not so sure it's been rebuilt, it was recently in collision with a TPS cruiser.

Check out if there is a plaque indicating that the bus has received rebuild or not. Starting from the 7000 series buses, a bus which has received mid-life rebuild will receive one.

I have not seen 7504 and 7608 yet. I had a ride on 7405 back in late April and there was no such plaque on board.

As for 7608 I'm not so sure it's been rebuilt, it was recently in collision with a TPS cruiser.

7608 actually didn't recive a rebuild. Sorry. It was suppose to go for rebuild, but I think it went out for service today. The open side was repainted, and a bit a floor work was done to it, and that was the side I saw. I was fooled. When I saw it today to really look at it closely, I found out the rest of the bus hasn't changed.

7694 (not rebuilt) now was the new black doors. Rebuild or no rebuild they will be getting the new rear doors.

As for the black skrit, I still don't know whats going on with that. As 'Bus medic' said, it doesn't seem to have a purpose. The rearrangment of seats in the rear section, I asked that question to TTC through their website and was told they would check into it with the Engineering Dept. I find that the seating arrangement in the 1st gen VIIs attract more graffiti in the back row than buses with an open look like the 2nd gen VII. I guess it because the vandals are more expose to people in the 2nd gen and they have a chance of being caught by someone. (people actually do speak out when they see vandalism take place)

Check out if there is a plaque indicating that the bus has received rebuild or not. Starting from the 7000 series buses, a bus which has received mid-life rebuild will receive one.

I have not seen 7504 and 7608 yet. I had a ride on 7405 back in late April and there was no such plaque on board.

some of the orion v don't have the rebuilt plate on them. Its hard to tell. The rear doors on the rebuilt orion 7still take a long time to close.

7694 (not rebuilt) now was the new black doors. Rebuild or no rebuild they will be getting the new rear doors.

Speaking of which, will 8100 and 8101 ever get the black rear doors?

The doors are being replaced due to corrosion around the bottom hinges, ( aluminum touching steel causes a chemical reaction in the persence of an electrolyte, namely salt water) most were to be done during rebuild, but I guess they can't wait that long.

The old style is out of production from vapor, but the current ameriview model fits just fine. Plus it fits well with the angular window frames.(my personal opinion)

The two oddball 8100s won't get them untill their doors are at a condition requiring replacement, evidently after @8 years of service.

The older hybrids will need doing before them.

Guest orionvi

The doors are being replaced due to corrosion around the bottom hinges, ( aluminum touching steel causes a chemical reaction in the persence of an electrolyte, namely salt water) most were to be done during rebuild, but I guess they can't wait that long.

The old style is out of production from vapor, but the current ameriview model fits just fine. Plus it fits well with the angular window frames.(my personal opinion)

The two oddball 8100s won't get them untill their doors are at a condition requiring replacement, evidently after @8 years of service.

The older hybrids will need doing before them.

Will any of the buses recieve the rear doors one can find on 1556 or 1660?

The sides still get damaged. Rub rails or not.

I'll be sad to see them go from an esthetic point of view even if they are functionally useless. They separate the first batch from the rest and they're a feature carried on from the Vi on a bus that was designed with very little "old Orion" design and technology. I like the little bits of obvious lineage that the different Orion models share(d).