Sign in to follow this  
A. Wong

NY - State's trains to nowhere gather rust

Correct me if I am wrong but these were used, then they started to refurbish them and it was never completed. They were to be used in the corridor from New York to Buffalo (Empire Service).

So much money spent... all of it gone. I guess they can atleast make up some costs from all those spare parts. Those things could go pretty fast!

Every two or three years another article gets written about the ill-fated Turboliners and Super Steel's contract to rebuild them.

It was a nice idea at the time, but the long and the short of it was that New York wanted to use them, and Amtrak was not happy with them. But despite all of their problems, the largest that Amtrak had with them was that they were "different" - and that was enough for Amtrak to stop using them.

Dan

It very petty to see those trains, torn into waste metal. If its so impossible to put them back on track, I would suggest an alternative use for them.... For entertainment, lets say. In many places, such as open-air markets, meeting places we see some vehicles which resemble camping trailers. Sometimes they are used as stores, sometimes they are used by music bands, as placed they play from. You can find lots of such arrangements in amusement parks.

So why not turn the place where these trains are currently stored, in an amusement park where all the former turboliners will be the subjects of such amusement.

Another option will be simply a museum. Just take the most good looking train, and transfer it so some museum as an exhibit.

I've heard that the city of Kansas has a big big train simulator, which was made out of actual train. Before it was used for training purposes, and now it is used for entertainment.

I dont see that ammusement park thing being possible. But it being a museum item could be possible, giving that any museum would be willing to pay for it. Basically you cant really do much with the trains as they are now besides sending to scrap or preserving it.

They can also be used as study object for some colleges which have transportation as a major.

But the idea with sending them to museum is the most appropriate.

Couldnt they just refurbish the cars, then instead of keeping that turbine engine, why not switch it out for a regular diesel electric engine. Unless the structure is too rusted to apprehend such a make over? They're only 36 year old trains. If they were made to hold a turbine engine, why wouldn't it be able to handle a mid grade engine? It cost even more but its just a thought.

My friend is going to this area soon to visit his relatives. Any way for him to visit them? I tried looking for the address for the Super Steel plant that was but to no luck. Anyone know the location of these trains exactly? Thanks.

My friend is going to this area soon to visit his relatives. Any way for him to visit them? I tried looking for the address for the Super Steel plant that was but to no luck. Anyone know the location of these trains exactly? Thanks.

I found them by accident last summer on the way back from Boston (not wanting to drive the Thruway for most of the trip). They're located here ...

https://local.google...005858&t=h&z=18

You can plainly see one trainset in the aerial photo. Many other cars and power units are further down. Security was nil when I was there, although that may change now that they're going to be sold and are of value again. I was also there on a weekend too. Here's a few photos from that adventure ...

IMG_3239.JPG

IMG_3235.JPG

IMG_3242.JPG

The rear one in the last picture looks like its shrinkwrap was removed (looks like a remnant at the tip of the nose section). I guess someone wanted them to rust?

Could the trailers have been used with different powercars or was there type specific HEP/control/couplers etc?

The rear one in the last picture looks like its shrinkwrap was removed (looks like a remnant at the tip of the nose section). I guess someone wanted them to rust?

Not sure, but the "new" nose was the redesigned one. Notice how the headlights/ditchlights are located differently, as well as a different side door.

3 of the 7 train sets are currently stored in Bear DE (dark blue train set)

I would assume those are the rebuilt units that were briefly operated. They look like they're in Phase 5 paint.

Only two of the rebuilt trainsets - dubbed "RTL III" - was actually operated in service, and one of those was only for a month or so. A third set had been completed and delivered, but was not accepted due to a number of different problems with it. Those three are the ones at Bear, DE., and I think are technically owned by Amtrak as part of the settlement.

The others - which are in varying states of disassembly or completion - are the ones you see in New York.

Dan