OC Transpo Rural Partners

• 2 weeks later...

Evans Bus Lines has taken over the service on the former Wubs rural routes. They've got pretty nice looking school buses.

Yesterday I saw a red Thomas Built shuttle coach (similar to what Bergeron Bus Lines used to have but I think this one was ex-Excellence Coach) parked at the Timmies at Hwy 138 amd C.R. 43 decaled as Evans Bus Lines commuter coach for S.D.&G.

Yesterday I saw a red Thomas Built shuttle coach (similar to what Bergeron Bus Lines used to have but I think this one was ex-Excellence Coach) parked at the Timmies at Hwy 138 amd C.R. 43 decaled as Evans Bus Lines commuter coach for S.D.&G.

I only caught the back of it, but I saw one of their buses leaving Greenboro heading south yesterday. It wasn't a Thomas, Blue Bird or IC, but I think it might have been a Lion Bus ( http://lionbuses.com/en/ ). If it was, the extra six inches of width inside probably makes for a much nicer commute.

Yeah the school bus I saw looks like it may have been a Lion bus. It doesn't look like any model I have ever seen before. The school bus label has been replaced with "commuter", it had under floor luggage storage and possible high back seating instead of standard school bus seats (but I could be wrong on this).

Yeah the school bus I saw looks like it may have been a Lion bus. It doesn't look like any model I have ever seen before. The school bus label has been replaced with "commuter", it had under floor luggage storage and possible high back seating instead of standard school bus seats (but I could be wrong on this).

Makes sense. Most of Evans school buses that I've seen have the high back seating as they're meant for long distance travelling.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a couple pictures of that bus on Flickr. Not mine, just happened upon them. It's probably the nicest commuter bus in Ottawa that's not a full on coach bus, the kneeling sticker would indicate it has air suspension.

DSC_9334 Bus Ottawa, Ontario Canada 04092014 ©Ian A. McCord

DSC_9337 Bus driver's side Ottawa, Ontario Canada 04092014 ©Ian A. McCord

DSC_9332 Bus rear view Ottawa, Ontario Canada 04092014 ©Ian A. McCord

• 4 weeks later...

If I read it cporrectly(someone correct me if I'm mistaken?)it seems they want to start a city to city service IE Clearance-Rockland-Toronto service?

If this is the case there maybe a issue. Since Ontario Bus Companies(IE Greyhound) has rights to certain routes there maybe an issue with another company get that route?

If on the other hand if there talking about a city service like Ottawa(OC Transpo)they'll probally have a problem finding a bus company wiling to take the contract.

Pembrooke is loosing their service(Thom Transport)is no longer going to service the city with local city services and considering Pembrook has more pop then Clearance Rockland I can see how the conrtract wil be able to make money?

If I read it correctly(someone correct me if I'm mistaken?)it seems they want to start a city to city service IE Clearance-Rockland-Toronto service?

If this is the case there maybe a issue. Since Ontario Bus Companies(IE Greyhound) has rights to certain routes there maybe an issue with another company get that route?

If on the other hand if there talking about a city service like Ottawa(OC Transpo)they'll probably have a problem finding a bus company wiling to take the contract.

Pembrooke is loosing their service(Thom Transport)is no longer going to service the city with local city services and considering Pembrook has more pop then Clearance Rockland I can see how the conrtract wil be able to make money?

Crt wants to start a local city service (i.e local bus service with possible connection to Oc Transpo) .

if i remember correctly, Pembroke transit wasn't funded by the city and was solely run as a private business . Where as Crt (Operated by Leduc) is run and funded by the city of Clarence Rockland?.

Leduc has a fleet of Nova Suburban Lfs, so a local service could be set up if there is a demand for it.

Leduc Bus Lines is growing again. Although I can't find anything official, they are now running the Carleton Place runs instead of Groupe Galland. The J4500 buses that are wrapped in green for the service have been purchased and re-numbered starting at 3941.

• 2 weeks later...

CR Transpo is now renting advertising spaces for inside and outside of CRT buses. Keep and eye out.

In other news, has anyone heard any developments to the Leduc Bus Lines takeover of Route 538 to Carleton Place? I haven't been able to find any updates on the Leduc site nor the Galland site.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

417 Bus Lines has been running an MCI D4500 commuter demo bus on it's route 528 for the past week. Looks like the same specs as GO Transit.

So that's where it wound up. It was running for Ayr Coach Lines 2 weeks ago. This bus is different as it has plug doors. Its number is 13284. Photo attached here.

100_1241.jpg

Did it have a destination sign?

Yes. A Luminator Horizon, IIRC.

Is it a piggy back on GO Transit's order? It looks the same except for the front door.

I doubt it's a piggy back on a GO order. I'm sure it's a straight up demo and built to American specs... I recall seeing photos of the bus at various expos. Business must be booming at 417 Bus Lines if they're looking at the possibility of purchasing commuter buses.

So that's where it wound up. It was running for Ayr Coach Lines 2 weeks ago. This bus is different as it has plug doors. Its number is 13284.

Yes this is the exact bus that they are testing.

I'm not sure if business is booming or not. I thought I read something a year ago saying the rural partners were looking into cutting back service or switch over to school buses in order to reduce costs. Can't seem to find that article at the moment.

If I was living in one of the rural routes, I'm not sure I would want a school bus(even if was an up scale one) if I'm payinbg over $200/month for a bus pass.

As for the D4500CT not sure if it would be worth it for 417,Le Duc or the others to buy and use as a commuter coach. After al the coaches on most of the Rural routes are also used for charter worker.

• 3 weeks later...