Minnesota Valley Transit Authority

MVTArider

There's some new schedules posted on MVTAs website for Saturday. They haven't posted a summary but I did notice:

442X is now hourly and stops on Cedar Grove Pkwy in front of the mall (but not at the transit station).

442Y is gone. 

443 is gone. 

447 is restructured to run from Apple Valley to Mystic Lake along CR 42, Hwy 13, and CR 21. Service is every half-hour, daily. 

I still would like to see the 444 increased to 30 minute service daily and with longer night hours. Also, would be great to have all trips extended to Savage P&R again. The new 447 route is a really good addition to the network, I definitely would have used that one back when I lived in the area. Hope it does well.

• Like 1

I agree, this new 447 routing looks very useful for connecting across the area. No surprise with the loss of the extra 442 and 443 services.

444 was split up originally due to the difficulty of meeting timepoints while scheduling within the consistent :X/:Y after the hour scheduling requirement MVTA uses. Burnsville Center ate too much time on each run so they went to every other trip service to Savage or the mall. Looking at it though I think relocating the Burnsville Center stop and then continuing all runs to Savage again might be a better solution now. Here's a quick doodle on the current 444 variants in the BC area. Basically get rid of the dual routing in the area and long loop around to the southeast of the mall, and run the route through the northwest end of the mall instead. (blue line) Throw a stop somewhere on the lot circular lane near Macy's perhaps. This would also bring back 30 minute frequency service to the Target plaza. Alternately just dump the mall service and run everything via Burnhaven Dr. (lime lines, also late night/early AM routing)

444 Burnsville Center.png

Given that Sears is now closed, it would make sense to move the mall stop by Macy's. I recall that the stop (at least in mid-late 2000s) was by Applebee's. The mall moved the stop by Macy's due to traffic a few years later. Shortly after that it was moved to the south entrance between JC Penney and Sears, and eventually banished to the parking lot. 

The mall is in pretty rough shape right now so I don't think traffic is a concern anymore, but most mall owners seem to want nothing to do with transit stops.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 7:32 PM, hp2ena said:

MVTA is cleaning house!

Figures, I was expecting those would pop up soon! I'll miss those 2003 and 2005 Gilligs, those things were good runners. MVTA certainly got their money worth out of them. Heck, they outlived the 2004 and 2006 D40LF and technically the 2012 LFS 😆

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 5:32 PM, hp2ena said:

Update that page a few weeks back? Is 4579 confirmed retired?

Just now, UpDownAcross38 said:

few weeks back**

11 hours ago, UpDownAcross38 said:

few weeks back**

4579 doesn't appear to be listed in the roster I got from them in November. So it may be retired.

Do you wanna follow up? I got the roster spreadsheet from Dan Rudiger, his e-mail address is drudiger[at]mvta.com. Copy the ED too: lwynder[at]mvta.com. Say you're requesting the data under Minnesota Government Data Practices Act, Minnesota Statute Chapter 13. You shouldn't be charged for the request (because I wasn't). And you don't have to say why  you're requesting the spreadsheet. 

10 hours ago, hp2ena said:

4579 doesn't appear to be listed in the roster I got from them in November. So it may be retired.

Do you wanna follow up? I got the roster spreadsheet from Dan Rudiger, his e-mail address is drudiger[at]mvta.com. Copy the ED too: lwynder[at]mvta.com. Say you're requesting the data under Minnesota Government Data Practices Act, Minnesota Statute Chapter 13. You shouldn't be charged for the request (because I wasn't). And you don't have to say why  you're requesting the spreadsheet. 

Sure

• 1 month later...

Route changes starting tomorrow May 15th:

https://www.mvta.com/news/mvta-schedule-changes-scheduled-for-may-15/

Changing the 444 to directly serve TCPO is interesting. I have to wonder if it's a discreet attempt to swipe back more ridership from the RED?

438 will be returning but without reservation stops, also slowly adding back more express service.

They should send the regular 442 buses to stop at the outlet mall like the 442X and 444.

I've always felt that the Cedar Grove median freeway station was a big expense for relatively little benefit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Two potential service re-design scenario draft plans have been posted on the MVTA website under a survey link.

Scenario 1 - more direct, higher frequency, less coverage

Scenario 2 - more coverage, less direct, less frequency

From skimming through both plans my initial thoughts are that both seem like a step backwards in some ways. It seems like some of these proposed routes are just randomly doodled lines.

Here's some of my thoughts on Scenario 1:

- the new 420 is a good idea, IMO.

- the new 440 idea seems pretty good. Getting rid of service east of Eagan TS is not really a good idea, IMO. Any east-west Eagan line should extend to Inver Hills College.

- the new 442 seems like it will run empty all day.

- branched 444 is strange. Given that the Burnsville Center is on its last legs, the current A/B service could be consolidated.

- 446 to Cedar Grove is an interesting concept. I can't imagine the south end of the current route does well, so this might be a good change.

- 447 to Burnsville TS is a good idea. This route will do well as an Orange Line feeder. I think they should keep the routing through Prior Lake instead of going down 42 & 21. 

- They may be overestimating the impact of Covid on the express routes, the proposed service levels seem low. 

- The loss of the 464 and 479 is not terribly surprising, but that would essentially mothball two park and rides.

- 474 is not a good idea. That bus will probably be empty most of the time.

- 494 and 498 routes probably won't do well either. These kind of routes are trialed every few years and never last.

- 497 and 499 should just be combined in some way. Shakopee is small enough to get away with one route in my opinion.

- The Southwest local lines all seem like they'll be bad performers. The 621 will probably do the best.

- Strange choice to keep the SW expresses stopping at Southwest Station once the Green Line opens.

- Scenario 2 just seems to have all sorts of weird compromises and the concepts seem really bad overall.