MVTArider

Minnesota Valley Transit Authority

31 posts in this topic

I decided it's about time I started a separate thread for MVTA related stuff instead of mixing it into the Metro Transit one.

It looks like the official name of the NovaBus model purchased for the Metro Red BRT service will indeed be the LFX, (and not LFS with BRT styling options) even though they are the 40' model:

New partnership between MVTA and Nova Bus

MVTA has opted for the LFX Smart Bus, which includes the Nova eCooling system, the Nova Bus proprietary integrated electric engine cooling that can improve fuel economy by up to 18%. The stainless steel structure designed for highly variable operating conditions was also a must for MVTA to handle Minnesota’s climate.

(Image)

For its BRT services, MVTA and its partners wanted sleek curb appeal with the ability to quickly handle large passenger loads at elevated platforms. The single roofline, flush windows, new interior design and large capacity doors of the Nova LFX represented an ideal match. The selected configuration features disc brakes, composite flooring and all LED lighting options for improved safety and cost savings. The addition of larger windows, clear escape hatches and LCD screens enhance the customer experience and provide greater opportunities for additional marketing revenues.

(Rendering of unit in the new Regional Metro System scheme)

"The MVTA is very excited to add this bus to our fleet. We believe it will be well received by our station-to- station BRT customers, providing a great ride on this new type of service," said MVTA Chair Gary Hansen of Eagan.

The buses will be assembled in Nova Bus’ Upstate New York plant and delivered in the fall of 2012.

About Nova Bus

Nova Bus is a leading provider of sustainable transit solutions in North America, including hybrid buses, high-capacity vehicles and integrated intelligent transportation systems. The company relies on a team driven by the challenges of public transit with regard to mobility, safety, and productivity. Nova Bus is part of the Volvo Bus Corporation. For more information regarding Nova Bus products and services, plese visit www.novabus.com

I decided it's about time I started a separate thread for MVTA related stuff instead of mixing it into the Metro Transit one.

It looks like the official name of the NovaBus model purchased for the Metro Red BRT service will indeed be the LFX, (and not LFS with BRT styling options) even though they are the 40' model:

The doors wouldn't be like that. It will be standard black unless Metro does paint job after delivery.

I forgot to look at the current MVTA newsletter before, Gillig BRTs 4250-4251+ should be in revenue service this month. (Still not sure if it's two or four) They have the new roof enclosure styling as well, despite being diesel.

The doors wouldn't be like that. It will be standard black unless Metro does paint job after delivery.

They'll probably do a paint job after delivery then.

They'll probably do a paint job after delivery then.

Or would it be a wrap style job and not paint?

Or would it be a wrap style job and not paint?

I don't know, since it's part of the livery something like a permanent wrap could be likely. Although if the doors are supposed to be yellow I don't see why Nova can't just put yellow doors on in the first place anyways. Gillig and New Flyer don't seem to have any problems with adding color to doors.

----

4250 and 4251 are now in service, I believe 4495 and 4497 have been returned to MTS for disposal.

7382150428_ebf01f7d99_t.jpg 7382152260_d9bb530f03_t.jpg 7382148352_b8df947e33_t.jpg

D35LF 4121-4126 are now the oldest active units in the fleet. They are now mostly operated as spares for the larger cutaways, or the 35' Gilligs on weekends. I rode 4122 yesterday, still in good shape overall but it had a bit of a shudder when it was stopping/stopped. They were actually built in early 2002 so they'll probably be in service until 2014 or perhaps 2015.

The LFX will be in production from June 27th-July 19th at Plattsburgh.

The ARBOCs need side destination signs to be compliant with ADA, as they're longer than 25'. I believe they are not yet delivered.

http://www.mvta.com/june_27_2012_board_packet.html

Also the new Apple Valley Transit Station will reopen July 14th.

I wonder when those LFX will arrive... It will be nice to see something new in the Twin Cities!

Could someone please tell me whether or not the 2003 MVTA Gillig Advantages (4300 series) use Cummins ISC (not ISL) engines? I know they were the first buses for MVTA to use Voith transmissions (model D864.3E).

The 4400 series New Flyer D40LF's (built in 2004) have the ISL/D864.3E, as do the 4500 series Gillig Advantages (built in 2005) and the 4600 series New Flyer D40LF's (built 2006).

The 2007 and '09 Gillig Advantages (4700 and 4900 series, respectively) use the larger Cummins ISM engines, and Voith D864.5 transmissions.

Thank you,

Ben (ClassicBusFan81)

Edited by Benjamin

A photo of a MVTA LFX undergoing assembly has been posted on the BRT Q&A Page of their website. I have no idea how long ago this was posted.

The LFX are in, also a media powwow of some sort is planned for December 5th at AVTS. Details have yet to be worked out. The current newsletter covers this, however it's not online at this time.

With the December 8th service changes all St. Paul routes will start/end at the SPUD.

They had the media event on December 10th. They wanted to wait until the weather was miserable.

RedLine1.jpg

Apple Valley Mayor Mary Hamann-Roland, left, and Ed Kearney, president of the Apple Valley Chamber of Commerce, try out a bike rack on one of the new buses that will run on the Cedar Avenue Bus Rapid Transit line. The buses began arriving in November, and the line is due to open next spring. (Staff photo: Bill Klotz)

Read more: http://finance-comme.../#ixzz2Ekr8dLTL

RedLine2.jpg

Officials unveiled one of the new buses that will run on the Cedar Avenue Bus Rapid Transit line between Apple Valley and Bloomington on Monday. The buses began to arrive November, and will go into service when the BRT line opens next spring. (Staff photo: Bill Klotz)

Read more: http://finance-comme.../#ixzz2EkrGXm53

post-5497-0-62477700-1355237692_thumb.jp

post-5497-0-74962900-1355237780_thumb.jp

METRO Red service starts JUNE 22nd!!!

http://www.mvta.com/june_22_launch_date_set_for_metro_red_line.html

June 22 Launch Date Set for METRO Red Line

The Cedar Avenue/Highway 77 corridor is one of the busiest roads in the state – each day, about 90,000 motorists cross the Minnesota River on the road, and about 70,000 cars travel through the intersection with County Road 42 in Apple Valley. Express bus service in the corridor carries nearly 650,000 riders annually. The new Red Line service will provide an additional option for commuters and other travelers to move between the communities in the corridor and the region at-large.

The METRO Red Line will travel on bus-only shoulder lanes constructed with the roadway improvements along Cedar Avenue. Buses will operate every 15 minutes during peak travel periods, from approximately 5 a.m. to midnight, Monday through Friday, and 7:30 a.m. to midnight, Saturday and Sunday. Buses will serve each station with level boarding, real-time signs, and other transit advantages, much like service on the METRO Blue Line (Hiawatha LRT).

While express bus routes will remain the same, local bus service provided by the Minnesota Valley Transit Authority (MVTA) will be restructured in conjunction with the launch of Red Line service to enhance connections with the line.

The Red Line results from a long-time collaboration of many agencies in the region, including the Metropolitan Council, Dakota County and its regional railroad authority, MVTA, Metro Transit, the Counties Transit Improvement Board (CTIB), the Minnesota Department of Transportation, the Mall of America, and the cities of Lakeville, Eagan, Apple Valley, and Bloomington, as well as local businesses in communities near the corridor.

Funding for the project has come from federal, state, and regional funds; CTIB; Dakota County; Apple Valley and Lakeville.

“Setting a firm date for the launch of the METRO Red Line is the culmination of a lot of work by a lot of people from many different agencies,” said Dakota County Board Chair Kathleen Gaylord. “But this service—station-to-station, bus rapid transit on Cedar Avenue, the first in Minnesota—is Dakota County’s baby. Our vision has always been that this will slow the growth of congestion on one of the busiest roads in the south metro. It will give our residents mobility options; and it will be good for business.”

Communities will plan events to help celebrate the launch of the new service, including a period of time to ride the METRO Red Line for free.

The MVTA will operate the Red Line service.

Fact sheet

Here are a few more photos from yesterday, also I saw one of the new ARBOC units, looks like 4259-4262.

9140988088_939356a63c_t.jpg 9138761405_e0fdb2998b_t.jpg 9140992428_34dea60883_t.jpg 9138766143_ce83d9b997_t.jpg 9138768685_8fedc2f8cc_t.jpg 9141000554_64ab8f5b35_t.jpg

D---! The Twin Cities gets all the good stuff.

I love this bus interior, wheels, paint scheme and rear.

Whats the deal with no rear destination sign? Also, I think the bus should be mostly red if its exclusively for the Red line.

Front-end bike racks arrive on Red Line buses

The racks were installed last week after customers asked for them, said Robin Selvig, a spokeswoman for the Minnesota Valley Transit Authority, which operates the Bus Rapid Transit line along Cedar Avenue.

The seven buses have interior bike racks, but customers said they are cumbersome to use. Passengers asked for the racks on the front of the bus that allow them to load their bicycles onto a flat rack instead having to hang them up on a vertical rack. The new racks mounted on the front of the buses are similar to those that are in use on Metro Transit buses.

Source: http://www.startribu.../225044932.html

MVTA’s Operation of METRO Red Line Boosts Ridership to Record Level

Other highlights of the 2013 ridership include:

· Increase of MVTA’s weekday local ridership by three percent from the record in 2008.

· Increase of MVTA’s weekend local ridership by two percent from the record in 2008.

· Increase on MVTA’s reverse commute ridership (bringing workers from the core cities to employment areas in the suburbs) increased by more than 21 percent over 2008.

· Increase on Route 446 ridership (between 46th St. Station and Eagan) of more than 50 percent since 2008 and increase of nearly 14 percent above 2012 ridership.

· Route 475 (Apple Valley/Cedar Grove to U of M) increased by 79 percent from 2012 ridership.

· Route 465 (Burnsville to U of M) increased by 31 percent from 2008 ridership and more than five percent from 2012 ridership (additional trips were added in 2012.)

· The top three MVTA routes based on ridership are: 1) Route 460 (Burnsville express to/from downtown Minneapolis – 458,416 for 2013); 2) Route 477 (Apple Valley express to/from downtown Minneapolis – 370,527 for 2013) and 3) Route 444 (Savage/Burnsville/Cedar Grove/Mall of America local service seven days per week – 264,811 for 2013).

“The economy continued to recover in 2013,” said MVTA Executive Director Beverley Miller. “Gas prices fluctuated up and down throughout the year and we had many weather-related days which may have contributed to the small increase in peak-period express ridership,” she said. “But, the addition of the METRO Red Line service has been a shot in the arm for both MVTA and the Twin Cities Region. We look forward to building on the first six months of service as we progress through 2014.”

Pending changes in 2014 include additional peak-period service from the Rosemount Transit Station to downtown Minneapolis along with improvements to local routes 445 (Eagan/Cedar Grove Transit Station) and 440 (Apple Valley/Cedar Grove – including Minnesota Zoo, along with peak-period service to the VA Medical Center).

MVTA is the public transportation provider for residents and businesses of Apple Valley, Burnsville, Eagan, Rosemount, and Savage. Call (952) 882-7500 for transit information or visit the MVTA web-site at www.mvta.com

Source: http://www.mvta.com/...cord_level.html

It'll be interesting to see what happens with 440 and 445, those routes and areas are great examples of why budget friendly public transit and user friendly public transit don't mix well in the badly planned, sprawled, low density, US suburbs.

MVTA is currently soliciting proposals for the next five year transit operations contract:

http://www.mvta.com/..._p_m_may_2.html

Lots of cool stuff in there if you want to see some of the material that goes into operating the routes.

I really really hope Schmitty can get it again, they have done an excellent job over the past few years. They stay on top of preventative maintenance and also have some of the cleanest buses in the TCM. They completely turned over the Burnsville Garage fleet when they took over for Laidlaw/First there in 2008. Laidlaw had basically been running the fleet into the ground from what I remember. (I remember an audit they did stated there were numerous mechanical defects in the BBG buses and almost nothing wrong with the Schmitty operated Eagan Garage units.)

That said it is a competitive contract, so here are the possible contenders:

First Transit, MV Transportation Group, Lorenz Bus Service, Transit Team, Veolia, and of course Schmitty. I suppose Rochester City Lines/Richfield Bus Co. could submit a proposal as well.

MV, Transit Team and Lorenz have all lost MTS contracts to First, IIRC Veolia bid on Rochester's service contract, but First won. First has been gobbling up contracts like crazy, so I think they would be the main contender.

There was a major accident involving coach 4692 this afternoon on northbound highway 77 between I-494 and the highway 62 exit. What happened is unknown. I observed a mangled pickup truck lying on its side in the median, and 4692 was stopped on the left shoulder, about 50 feet ahead, with the driver side wheels on the grass in the median. Accompanying the scene were a tow truck, 3-4 State Patrol squads, a MN Dot accident response truck, and an MVTA supervisor vehicle.