Tramguy

Doors Open Toronto (May 24-25)

Does anyone know if Roncesvalles will be open this year. It is an interesting tour, even though they only opened it on the Saturday, and not the Sunday.

Wait, don't they always participate on the Saturday and never the Sunday?

yup, only Saturday

Does anyone have a link to any official information as to what the TTC is doing for Doors Open? By pure coincidence, I'll be in the GTA that weekend and would love to tour anything transit related that I can...

Thanks for your help.

-Evan

Does anyone have a link to any official information as to what the TTC is doing for Doors Open? By pure coincidence, I'll be in the GTA that weekend and would love to tour anything transit related that I can...

Thanks for your help.

-Evan

A bit late, but

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=4b312bc76a8cc410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD&key=4249E17BAE24355885257DE30054E6DE

I've been in previous years and highly recommend going.

3 hours ago, TransitfanJas0n said:

Hopefully I'll be able to get a good camera by then :lol:

I'll be happy just to bring ANY camera. Relying on my phone is not a good thing

7 minutes ago, jg24sp34r said:

I'll be happy just to bring ANY camera. Relying on my phone is not a good thing

Well you see, currently my only camera is my phone or iPad mini...

Just now, TransitfanJas0n said:

Well you see, currently my only camera is my phone or iPad mini...

iPad minis are actually pretty decent for camera quality. I do have an iPad and it takes decent photos if everything's just right.

Just now, jg24sp34r said:

iPad minis are actually pretty decent for camera quality. I do have an iPad and it takes decent photos if everything's just right.

I've noticed that my iPad mini's photos are either super grainy or look like they have a filter on. I ultimately decided to switch back  to my phone (despite it being very unreliable in terms of battery life).

On 4/14/2016 at 9:56 PM, TransitfanJas0n said:

I've noticed that my iPad mini's photos are either super grainy or look like they have a filter on. I ultimately decided to switch back  to my phone (despite it being very unreliable in terms of battery life).

http://www.doorsopenontario.on.ca/Events/Toronto.aspx

when i tried the above site and try to register for the event, i don't see TTC carhouse being listed in the open door event for this year, are they really participating?

4 minutes ago, TransitfanJas0n said:

i read that link before i replied my message, but that doesn't tell me much details, like if i have to register it or not.........although i believe what Brad Ross is saying over there

1 minute ago, Cimon8000 said:

i read that link before i replied my message, but that doesn't tell me much details, like if i have to register it or not.........although i believe what Brad Ross is saying over there

There was also a reply that said that it would be on May 28. Don't know anything about registering.

8 minutes ago, TransitfanJas0n said:

There was also a reply that said that it would be on May 28. Don't know anything about registering.

exactly, no details what time it is starting on that day, end time etc................and weird part is it doesn't show anything on open door toronto website

As has been the case every year, the full list of locations doesn't get released until May. You may also notice that there are only 13 buildings listed so far, with 130 advertised. Do you think Brad Ross was lying?

No registration is required.

• Like 2

I have known since Jan that Leslie Barns would be use for this year open door event, even though next to no info has been posted. As noted, Brad has made it known that the barns is open this year a number of times.

Expect a zoo there this year.

You have the choice of waiting for the bus from either end to/from Queen or walk it. Based on my experience, you are better off walking to/from the Barns.

Since there will be next to nothing in the yard or the car house since most of the cars will be on the road, you will get a clear view of everything. The PCC, Witt along with a CLRV? and ALRV? will be on display. Hoping for the same photo op that was done at Russell before the Beach(es) Easter Parade. 

One of the new cars will do the yard tour with pans up as far as I know at this time.

You will not have a free range to everything there.

Final plans will come out a week or 2 before the event.

• Like 1

They could always run a shuttle like they did with the Mount Dennis open house back in 2010. It would probably be an empty yard with a couple left behind streetcars and 4401. That's also a lot of space for whatever even they want to do.

For the food. 

Last year at Greenwood, the pop and burger/hotdog prices are less than $10. How much is either the pop, hotdog or burger?

4 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

They could always run a shuttle like they did with the Mount Dennis open house back in 2010. It would probably be an empty yard with a couple left behind streetcars and 4401. That's also a lot of space for whatever even they want to do.

Could they use Broadview for the streetcars since Leslie Barns is possibly accessible via the 83 JONES from Donlands IIRC.