Winnipeg Transit issues

armorand

Hey guys,

Tonight around 1 am, I got off the bus at my work around Portage/Whytewold to pick up my bike (walked with my friend to another area). The thing was though, it was my first bike ride of the year, and I was hurting like hell after the walking and biking (right now, I can barely sit on my bed and type this because my ass is quite painful). Since I saw it happen on a packed 21 before, along with it being 1 am on a Monday with no bike racks on Route 11, I was hoping to get on a bus, pay above full fare (didn't have 2.45 exact) and hopefully spare myself the painful ride back home.

I waited at EB Portage/Strath (by the Catholic Church), and then the bus came. I held out my wallet, signifying I had a buspass. The guy kept on going. Since whoever placed the bus stop closer to the tree than the actual street, I decided that maybe he thought I was crossing the street, Then, I continued to Mount Royal on foot, knowing that stop has a shelter AND an illuminated stop. Waited 10 minutes, then the next bus came. Now this is REALLY what pissed me off. I waived my hand in the air, the driver puled over a bit, stared at me and then sped off. Even worse, is the fact its 1:30 am, no passengers, no wheelchairs/strollers/seniors on the front seats and it's not like I'm waltzing onto a D40 with my bike. After swearing loudly into the air, I waited again.

Now the third bus, if that one left, I would've went ballistic. The bus driver kept going, but after I waived, she stopped and opened the door. She said "no bikes on the bus", and then said she was kidding. I thanked her and told her that the previous two drivers just sped by me. I also told her: it was then 1:50 am, no passengers and that it wasn't a high floor either. She told me she had no idea why those guys passed by me. I also told her that I was sore, and that if it was 3 pm on Route 60, I wouldn't even think about bringing a bike onto the bus. She asked about bike racks, but the thing was, none of the buses (122, 725, 748, 703?) had a bike rack. Also mentioned how the RT buses should apparently have them, and that a few 370-399 D40s had bike racks too. She dropped me off at my street, and I again thanked her and wished her a good night.

Since this is CPTDB and meant for "purposeful discussion", I'd like to ask some questions:

1) Exactly what is the rules for bikes on buses?

2) At 1:30 in the morning with no other passengers on an D40LFR, why was I left behind? and

3) If you happen to know the two drivers involved, can you please let them know that I am furious that when theres nobody on the bus, that they wouldn't let me on? As I said, EB Portage/Strathmillan might've passed because of the sign misplaced, but EB Portage/Mount Royal was unacceptable.

Thanks,

armorand (Ashton)

PS. I could've turned this into an f-bomb rant, but 1) I like transit. Born, raised and commuted on the bus. One of my first memories of Winnipeg was the 1987 D40s and the scrollsign on the lower left of old HF buses (used to draw it with crayon on my parents microwave :P )

and 2) The busdriver on the 3rd bus apologized for the other twos actions so that made me feel a bit better. Also, again thanks to that lady! If it weren't for her, I'd have to walk home with my bike, ass hurting and possibly swearing louder than I did at Mount Royal...

Hmm, I know in Calgary, Management was very strict about bikes inside buses. It was a big "no" due to liability issues. I know of a driver who had a suspension as a result of allowing a bike on the bus.

Other cities have different rules of course. Coast Mountain Bus as bike racks on all of their buses, as does West Vancouver Transit. There is also the mentality, or unwritten policy to not leave anyone behind.

Hmm, I know in Calgary, Management was very strict about bikes inside buses. It was a big "no" due to liability issues. I know of a driver who had a suspension as a result of allowing a bike on the bus.

Other cities have different rules of course. Coast Mountain Bus as bike racks on all of their buses, as does West Vancouver Transit. There is also the mentality, or unwritten policy to not leave anyone behind.

I know Calgary Transit allows bikes on the U2s, as long as it isn't rush hour. Biked from Crowfoot to 7th one summer, but honestly didnt wanna bike up again haha. I didnt bring it onto a bus though, or notice any bike racks on a bus for that matter.

I just dont know why a driver, at 1:30am with no passengers, wouldn't let me on with my bike. I was wearing a normal jacket with jeans and a belt too, so I didn't look intimidating if that was the case as well. If it was rush hour, I wouldn't even think about it, but its a little insane to get left behind by two drivers in a row during one of the most dead times of bus service...

Today, I'm definitely taking the bus to/from work. Although Aspirin has helped, theres no way I could bike to/from work, unless I wanna duct tape a pillow to my ass lol

I would have assumed that Winnipeg Transit has a No Bikes On Board policy, and therefore you standing curbside with your bike would mean the driver wouldn't need to stop because you weren't a passenger.

My suggestion would be that you review your write-up to satisfy yourself that you've described the incident fairly, accurately, and without lashing out, and then email it to 311@winnipeg.ca . I find that waiting 24 hours and re-reading what I've written before sending it helps to make my inquiry better.

I would have assumed that Winnipeg Transit has a No Bikes On Board policy, and therefore you standing curbside with your bike would mean the driver wouldn't need to stop because you weren't a passenger.

My suggestion would be that you review your write-up to satisfy yourself that you've described the incident fairly, accurately, and without lashing out, and then email it to 311@winnipeg.ca . I find that waiting 24 hours and re-reading what I've written before sending it helps to make my inquiry better.

I was standing a good 10 metres away from the crossing section and waving at him, and he still passed me. As I said too, no passengers either at 1:30am.

As for 311, I didn't report it yet. Just wanted to see your guys opinions first, since quite a few of you drive out there.

I was standing a good 10 metres away from the crossing section and waving at him, and he still passed me. As I said too, no passengers either at 1:30am.

As for 311, I didn't report it yet. Just wanted to see your guys opinions first, since quite a few of you drive out there.

Rules are rules. Read what Highfive posted in an earlier post in this message. It does not matter what time of the day it is or how empty the bus is. People are supposed to plan these things ahead of time. So the third operator did not need to apologize for the previous two operators actions.

Rules are rules. Read what Highfive posted in an earlier post in this message. It does not matter what time of the day it is or how empty the bus is. People are supposed to plan these things ahead of time. So the third operator did not need to apologize for the previous two operators actions.

Maybe if at least one bus had a bike rack on Route 11 that night. Honestly, I haven't seen a single bike rack on a bus out and about lately. Especially with 140-169 that are supposedly to have one. 157 went by me tonight, no rack! The good thing is though, I'm feeling alot better tonight going home. Finally got used to my bike again! It was just that night, I honestly was way too sore to get home on my own (walking or biking), and leaving my bike at work makes it prone to thieves (some idiot vandalized the back door a week or two ago; didn't want to take any chances) so I had to do something. Would've called my grandpa for a ride, but again, it was 1:30 and he'd be somewhat mad.

As for "highfives" reply, whats the liability? I saw a bike on Route 21 before when it was packed, so I know it blocks an exit/entrance. However, as I said, empty bus at 1:30 so me as the only passanger didn't pose much issue I suppose. Does it have to do with it not being secured, or the possibility that it could fly through the windshield if the bus has to slam the breaks? Been on an U2 and SD160 back in Calgary with a bike, and surprisingly, both the trains and the stations allowed it, as long as it wasn't the infamous rush hour crush.

Maybe if at least one bus had a bike rack on Route 11 that night. Honestly, I haven't seen a single bike rack on a bus out and about lately.

Bike racks are removed every Fall, and re-installed every Spring. This Spring is weeks early so the bike racks are probably still piled in a corner of the garage. Scheduling staff and garage time to install them was probably planned weeks ago. The racks add length to the buses and cause garage storage space problems. In Summer they can park buses outside. Not in Winter.

As for bikes inside Winnipeg Transit buses, I don't know what the official policy is but I think it's easy to guess: No. Never. Not allowed. Full stop. The operator who did allow you and your bike inside probably broke the rules. As a daily rider who has learned to live with the baby carriages, strollers, SUV-sized power chairs, and every other kind of necessary mobility device blocking aisles and occupying seats, I would be quite pleased to not add bicycles to the list. And just because a bus is empty at your stop doesn't mean someone isn't going to get on at the next stop.

What's the current policy regarding those who *think* they are potential riders, but are in fact not?

In other words, if the official policy is to not allow someone together with a bicycle inside the bus (which seems very likely), should the operator stop at the bus stop and quickly explain that it is not allowed? There is a possibility that armorand might have taken 30 seconds to lock up his bicycle first, then get on the bus without it.

BTW, I'm not complaining. I'm just curious if anyone knows. These are interesting questions. :)

What's the current policy regarding those who *think* they are potential riders, but are in fact not?

In other words, if the official policy is to not allow someone together with a bicycle inside the bus (which seems very likely), should the operator stop at the bus stop and quickly explain that it is not allowed? There is a possibility that armorand might have taken 30 seconds to lock up his bicycle first, then get on the bus without it.

BTW, I'm not complaining. I'm just curious if anyone knows. These are interesting questions. :)

Sadly, vandals think targeting my work is funny. If I left my $300 bike there, I might just either kiss it goodbye, or see it spraypainted like the San Andreas Police sign in the 1993 film "Demolition Man".

No bikes on the buses PERIOD!! Just like someone else said. The operator that did stop was taking a very big risk and could have got in a lot of trouble. (still could I suppose since it would be easy enough to figure out who was driving.). And I wouldn't have stopped for you either no matter how empty the bus was. Rules are rules, there are no time limits or expiry times for them and I'm not going to get in shit or risk my job for some stranger. Sorry!

Guess that ends one issue. Next one: what can a driver do to an obviously offensive passanger?

On the 11 the other day, some asshole decided to waltz onto the bus, then start swearing at the driver over the passangers own mistake of not showing his buspass, then slamming the back doors open when the driver yelled "wait for the green light, then got off the bus, stared at the driver, and got in front of the bus barely taking off, running across Portage with tons of traffic. Everyone on the bus, including me, we're just staring at this guy who apparently doesn't know shit about manners.

I heard Transit Constables can arrest, but drivers cant do much, especially from what i heard about the ETS driver beaten after being dragged off the bus (poor guy :( ) and from multiple stories I've read in the paper, and on here. My questions:

1) Why are transit riders such asse's these days?

2) What can Winnipeg Transit drivers do to stop this legally? and

3) What can a Winnipeg Transit rider, such as my 18 year old self, do if someone did decide to go berserk on a driver legally. If I was still 17, I could still come to aid and (severely) kick the offending persons ass, but now, doing such a thing would get me in jail, even though its both in self-defence of both the passangers and the driver, in court.

Again, thanks guys!

On the 11 the other day, some asshole decided to waltz onto the bus, then start swearing at the driver over the passangers own mistake of not showing his buspass, then slamming the back doors open when the driver yelled "wait for the green light, then got off the bus, stared at the driver, and got in front of the bus barely taking off, running across Portage with tons of traffic. Everyone on the bus, including me, we're just staring at this guy who apparently doesn't know shit about manners.

Welcome to the job of being a Transit Operator. I bet that guy was high or drunk, or very possibly, BOTH. This is the crap I deal with at least a few tims every month since I satrted as Transit Op back in the summer of 2004.

Welcome to the job of being a Transit Operator. I bet that guy was high or drunk, or very possibly, BOTH. This is the crap I deal with at least a few tims every month since I satrted as Transit Op back in the summer of 2004.

The guy was probably high. If he was drunk, he wouldn't be able to move on a moving bus, or probably get up the stairs without falling (he had travel bags with him as well). Also, you're in Calgary Transit, right? Riding the train late at night, I can definitely see what you guys have to deal with...

Bike racks are removed every Fall, and re-installed every Spring. This Spring is weeks early so the bike racks are probably still piled in a corner of the garage. Scheduling staff and garage time to install them was probably planned weeks ago. The racks add length to the buses and cause garage storage space problems. In Summer they can park buses outside. Not in Winter.

Wow, they must really park tight in the garage :o

Until I read the reason here, I was going to ask why they bother taking the racks off in the winter. Here racks are put on once the bus passes testing, and taken off when it's removed from service. You wanna bike and bus, and it's -29C with blowing snow? No problem, your rack awaits!

5262547118_1e81cb7dfa_t.jpg

Wow, they must really park tight in the garage :o

Yup!! The bus garage is designed around the standard 40' bus. So in Winnipeg there are 2 buses parked then a walkway, then a few more, walkway, etc. So the first walkway is 80' from the front of the garage. So once you add a bike rack to the bus the length increases and doesn't fit anymore. Put 2 buses with bike racks in the 1st 2 spots and you're blocking the walkway which is a Health and Safety violation. Even the latest batch of Flyers are a foot longer and are causing problems!

Yup!! The bus garage is designed around the standard 40' bus.

It was also built in the 1960s, back when GM Old Looks used to roar down Portage. Pretty sure 1960s Winnipeg Transit planners never thought of an low-floor or an artic 50 years ago (which reminds me, wow is FRG ever old...)

Roof has some great leaks and the ventilation sucks. Floor doesn't drain properly in many areas. Structure is fine.

First off, welcome back! And secondly, I wonder how they're going to repair that, or better yet, where will the 555 buse's go...

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.winnipegf...-147282765.html

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Assaults on transit operators growing

By: Jen Skerritt

Winnipeg will investigate how it can improve safety on transit buses after the number of assaults against bus drivers has tripled in recent years.

Council's public works committee asked Winnipeg's public administration Thursday to develop a strategy to keep transit staff and bus passengers safe. Coun. Brian Mayes (St. Vital) brought the motion forward in light of concerns that the number of assaults against bus drivers is on the rise.

City data show 63 assaults against bus drivers were reported last year, up from 56 in 2010 and more than double the number reported in 2006. Between January and March 2012, bus drivers have reported 23 assaults to Winnipeg Transit, which would be on pace to surpass 2011's total.

Mayes said Winnipeg must address this problem to ensure drivers are safe and not discourage people from taking the bus.

Winnipeg Labour Council president David Sauer said most major cities across the country deal with a similar problem. He said statistics show about five bus drivers are assaulted every day in Canada. Winnipeg bus drivers have reportedly been punched in the chest, verbally threatened, kicked and had their eyeglasses broken.

Many of the assaults start after a passenger has refused to pay a fare, Sauer said. He said these assaults cost the city more in health and workers' compensation costs, and Winnipeg needs to be more proactive to prevent them.

"It's becoming a huge problem," Sauer said. "It's really quite ridiculous what's happening to transit operators out there."

I've seen it lately too, some stoned native gangster kids walked onto an packed 11 Monday, and held up the bus for two minutes attempting to pay (with a lighter, of all things). When they finally did, one asshole decided to call the driver a "faggot". The driver SLAMMED on the breaks, and then said "Excuse me?!" while those three went back to the bus. Thanks to the exterlal bus stop announcer, the bus stopped at Langside and the kids went "YEE, LANGSIDE BUDDY!!!". Me and some other people at the front of the bus wanted to smash their heads into a fucking window...

People have no respect these days.