Winnipeg and Artic Buses

WpgBusDriver

^^^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnipeg_Transit#1961–1971:_Metro_Winnipeg_Transit

In August 1970 several River Heights residents opposed a jointly managed Unibus shuttle service for University of Manitoba students. Riding Unibus would save students from paying the regular adult fare, instead they would pay $20 for six months' use. However, residents were upset that the routes would depreciate housing where the buses traversed and that the service was only available to University students.[37]

I remember Unibus because one of the route stops was along Harrow St. and had a stop at Harrow @ Corydon Ave. They had the regular black & white BUS STOP sign with a black print on school bus yellow saying U N I B U S on it.

I'd have to get my Inkscape program out and doodle a likeness of what I remember.

My drawing skills aren't the best sometimes and the bottom half where the UNIBUS text was had rounded corners.

I wish the newspaper articles of the time had a photo with the sign. WT used 196s early 70s Flyer coaches. Never GM for some reason.

I used to see them on my way to St. Ignatius School 1972-75 when I attended Grades 1-3.

While the bus stop sign said UNIBUS, the buses themselves, I think, just said CHARTERED, as they did not pick up non-University students.

A young adult man with a medium coloured briefcase (Baby Boomer) and wearing a suit  used to board it. I discovered mainframe computers from a St. Iggy's library book and got hooked on them at the beginning of Grade 1. By Grade 2 I was being told by adults that I could take computer programming at "Red River" when I'm older. I guess that man was born in the late 40s. Wonder how he turned out. At the time I saw him as a role model of how I wanted to be.

If you have access to NewspaperArchive.com via the Winnipeg Public Library you could read the controversy of the Unibus system from the local newspaper archives of the day.

I believe there were a few Unibus routes from all over the metro area.

Unibus Bus Stop.svg.png

https://access-newspaperarchive-com.wpl-dbs.winnipeg.ca/tags/unibus-winnipeg-transit?pc=33301&psi=47&pci=2&ndt=by&py=1969&pey=1975

21 is a prime candidate for an artic... just saying. Or at least, Grace Hospital - Downtown is prime. All concrete sidewalks too. And if theres any atops missing concrete in St. James, honestly it could probably use some road and sidewalk repairs anyways. Especially sidewalk repairs on the stops between Sharp and Moray, and any the 21 uses around the Grace Hospital as well. The rest of St James bus stops should be compatible with a 60 footer, since they're all concrete and long enough to handle one. 

8 minutes ago, armorand said:

21 is a prime candidate for an artic... just saying. Or at least, Grace Hospital - Downtown is prime. All concrete sidewalks too. And if theres any atops missing concrete in St. James, honestly it could probably use some road and sidewalk repairs anyways. Especially sidewalk repairs on the stops between Sharp and Moray, and any the 21 uses around the Grace Hospital as well. The rest of St James bus stops should be compatible with a 60 footer, since they're all concrete and long enough to handle one. 

It does not need a artic I’m sorry I have talked to many transit planners and the reason we don’t need artics on 21,22,24 or 11 is the 21,22,24 and 11 all help each other out so there’s really no point in putting the bendy buses  on that route. 47 come phase 2 is where I would use it the most since it will be replacing the 160 but other then that the 21,22,24 and 11 fair out rather well 

8 hours ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

It does not need a artic I’m sorry I have talked to many transit planners and the reason we don’t need artics on 21,22,24 or 11 is the 21,22,24 and 11 all help each other out so there’s really no point in putting the bendy buses  on that route. 47 come phase 2 is where I would use it the most since it will be replacing the 160 but other then that the 21,22,24 and 11 fair out rather well 

If I get what the TMP is gonna do, if 100% of the plan were to be implemented, the 11 would cease to exist. The 22 would case to exist. Basically the SWBRT and the 21 Portage Express would become one joined route as the 'A' line. And there would be stops in the portion that it stops in St. James and Assiniboia (Crestview Westwood, etc...) where the stops would be spaced further part, but not too far. Feeder buses would transport passengers to/from Portage Ave.

Was at the TMP presentation this afternoon.  Like my post above, up till now it appeared that there would be no 11 Portage local bus after implementation. TMP guy today announces that after feedback this week at different presentation and stakeholder meetings, that an 11 local would be retained.

At the same presentation meeting this afternoon at the St. James Civic Centre, all green circles (approve in general TMP plan), zero red (disapprove of TMP plan), and zero yellow (need more info). I was there till 15h15.  Good to see that all at that meeting were on board.

Comments made by others about Graham Ave. I spoke with the City's consultation process and he agreed that Graham could be turned into a pedestrian only street. But that's (what to do with Graham after bus reroutes) outside the scope of the current discussion. But says lots of comments received at the TMP about pedestrian mall (no buses) on Graham.

15 hours ago, vivablue5215 said:

I can guarantee you that the TMP won't be implemented as is. There are way too many faults especially with transferring, and they will certainly be brought up in workshops and the drop-in events.

TMP implemetation would be an absolute nightmare.

SWBRT proposed route changes with a 47 to U of M, feeders and all, aren't bad. But the TMP is a joke. Nobody would ever want to see that plan come to fruition. And if it ever does, transit service to suburban Winnipeg will cease to exist. Especially if you're in St James, Charleswood and other places, going from appropriate transit service to none, is unacceptable.

Why can't they just extend and slash routes, like they've always done? Slash as in, cut portions and reassign them to different routes or make new ones, new schedules, and NOT completely erase them off the map...?