WpgBusDriver

Winnipeg and Artic Buses

5 hours ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

That’s what I heard to. I’m glad these RT buses or future shall we say have the racks 

It is due to limited storage space that they pull the racks off during the winter season correct? Too bad they can't leave them on all buses year round. I imagine it's not a popular feature if getting a bus with one can be hit or miss depending on how quickly they get re-installed in the spring.

36 minutes ago, MVTArider said:

It is due to limited storage space that they pull the racks off during the winter season correct? Too bad they can't leave them on all buses year round. I imagine it's not a popular feature if getting a bus with one can be hit or miss depending on how quickly they get re-installed in the spring.

They will only be Rack buses on the RT come phase 2 cause all 28 buses will be equipped and there only using the brand new artics for the blue line 

28 minutes ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

They will only be Rack buses on the RT come phase 2 cause all 28 buses will be equipped and there only using the brand new artics for the blue line 

Historically Winnipeg Transit's ability to successfully dispatch "only" certain buses "only" on certain services has been pretty spotty. One only has to remember the rt wraps from Phase One showing up randomly on any route (the 68?).

Years ago I remember getting on a 35' GM on route 60 (oops) which then ran out of fuel half way up Pembina Highway (double oops).

It may be dispatch's philosophy that it's better a run goes out with the "wrong" bus than it doesn't go out at all.

17 hours ago, DavidW said:

Historically Winnipeg Transit's ability to successfully dispatch "only" certain buses "only" on certain services has been pretty spotty. One only has to remember the rt wraps from Phase One showing up randomly on any route (the 68?).

Years ago I remember getting on a 35' GM on route 60 (oops) which then ran out of fuel half way up Pembina Highway (double oops).

It may be dispatch's philosophy that it's better a run goes out with the "wrong" bus than it doesn't go out at all.

From what I heard the won’t be wrapped but there gonna be only using these new artics on phase 2 idk how they will dispatch it like that. But I assume that since most of the blue line will be 60 foot buses this will be how the dispatch them

It's +36°C this afternoon and the air conditioning on 971 is off. 😣

I suppose both A/C units are busted.

I got off one stop after boarding and waited 5 minutes for the next 60 Pembina, which was air conditioned.

2 hours ago, DavidW said:

It's +36°C this afternoon and the air conditioning on 971 is off. 😣

I suppose both A/C units are busted.

I got off one stop after boarding and waited 5 minutes for the next 60 Pembina, which was air conditioned.

36 degrees... can't say i miss the Winnipeg summers...

But air-conditioning wise - seems odd that Winnipeg Transit wouldn't be on top of that, for a 60ft bus that could carry so many people & be stuck in traffic down St. Marys/St. Annes for long period of time. Granted that AC was non-existent outside of the D30LF's until the D40LFR's came in (i never really felt or noticed AC until 140-169), but just seems like something that should be required and preventively maintained on WT's artics, especially with future Pembina/SWRTC service and Portage service of the 11 with artics, along with RREx coming up as well.

2 hours ago, armorand said:

36 degrees... can't say i miss the Winnipeg summers...

But air-conditioning wise - seems odd that Winnipeg Transit wouldn't be on top of that, for a 60ft bus that could carry so many people & be stuck in traffic down St. Marys/St. Annes for long period of time. Granted that AC was non-existent outside of the D30LF's until the D40LFR's came in (i never really felt or noticed AC until 140-169), but just seems like something that should be required and preventively maintained on WT's artics, especially with future Pembina/SWRTC service and Portage service of the 11 with artics, along with RREx coming up as well.

The 101-136 and the 700 have AC and some of the artic have AC

4 hours ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

The 101-136 and the 700 have AC and some of the artic have AC

I believe all of the ex-Ottawa D60LF artics had air conditioning when they were new in Ottawa (two a/c units per bus). Winnipeg Transit apparently decided the a/c units that didn't work when the used buses arrived in Winnipeg wouldn't be fixed (unless, I suppose, if the fix was minor). Thus some went into service with two working a/c units, some with one, and others with none.

I believe it's still Winnipeg Transit policy that drivers cannot trade-off a bus if the a/c doesn't work.

• Like 1

Managed to snap a picture of 371 on its apparent first day of service (Saturday 08 June 2019), in between the rain showers. And got my first ride on 371 today (Sunday 09 June 2019) on route 60 Pembina. 

The seating layout is different from the D60LFs. No seats on the turntable, and forward and backward facing seats on the middle wheels (instead of the aisle-facing seats there on the D60LF.

The stripeless white exterior, not even a grey lower panel, seems like a new low for the Winnipeg livery. At least the side windows got black around them. (Maybe it'll be easier to paint it orange after the coming revolution!)

• Haha 1

I’m quietly (and most likely hopelessly) telling myself the grey isn’t there yet cus they’re waiting to paint it blue for the blue line!

One can only dream...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DavidW said:

Managed to snap a picture of 371 on its apparent first day of service (Saturday 08 June 2019), in between the rain showers. And got my first ride on 371 today (Sunday 09 June 2019) on route 60 Pembina. 

The seating layout is different from the D60LFs. No seats on the turntable, and forward and backward facing seats on the middle wheels (instead of the aisle-facing seats there on the D60LF.

The stripeless white exterior, not even a grey lower panel, seems like a new low for the Winnipeg livery. At least the side windows got black around them. (Maybe it'll be easier to paint it orange after the coming revolution!)

An artic on Route 60 itself - that must be a first, especially for a Sunday and especially since RT was put into service over 7 years ago...

4 hours ago, armorand said:

An artic on Route 60 itself - that must be a first, especially for a Sunday and especially since RT was put into service over 7 years ago...

60 has been getting artics for the past few changes now. That’s nothing new 

7 minutes ago, bus is coming 1965 said:

60 has been getting artics for the past few changes now. That’s nothing new 

Doesn’t need it my buddy does a 160 and he was with me last night and we watched the 60 driving around half empty we followed it to university and it left there with less then 10 people he said when he does he 45 he sees the 47 needing it more then the 60 

Interesting that 371 has all Orange Luminator signs. The newest XD40 (369) has a silver LED front Luminator sign but orange LEDs on the side and rear Luminators. 

^^^

Are they Orange or Amber?

Twenty years ago, WT cheaped out and had Yellow displays installed as part of the spec. for the 400 and 500 series. But they wore out and now an oncoming bus from that series you can barely see the route and destination info anymore.Some were replaced by Orange/Amber a few years ago.

Orange. The Yellow displays are also on some of the D30LF's. I also have a hard time reading the Luminator signs on those buses!

The Yellow LED signs on the 400 & 500 series may be using "flip-disc" or "flip dot" (mechanical) type displays as seen on the old Winnipeg Convention Centre outdoor sign or in the "fast money" round of the  Family Feud gameshow (Richard Dawson era), as per this Wikipedia artic

The Orange or Amber signs more commonly seen nowadays are truly electronic LEDs, as per this Wikipedia article.

On 6/8/2019 at 3:28 AM, DavidW said:

I believe all of the ex-Ottawa D60LF artics had air conditioning when they were new in Ottawa (two a/c units per bus). Winnipeg Transit apparently decided the a/c units that didn't work when the used buses arrived in Winnipeg wouldn't be fixed (unless, I suppose, if the fix was minor). Thus some went into service with two working a/c units, some with one, and others with none.

I believe it's still Winnipeg Transit policy that drivers cannot trade-off a bus if the a/c doesn't work.

Same in Ottawa - dead A/C is not grounds for killing a bus.

On 6/7/2019 at 8:08 PM, armorand said:

36 degrees... can't say i miss the Winnipeg summers....

I still remember them - but usually it was a dry heat, not so much of the humidity that so often aggravates Eastern heat waves.